Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter Follow Me on Facebook Follow My Blog Feed Follow My Blog Feed

Loafers Are The New Ballet Flats…

gold… here  animal print… here  rose…here

Everywhere I go… everywhere I look, I see loafers… They are the new ballet flat.. well hardly ‘new’… as loafers have been around for as long as I can remember. A shoe, that was very much a male domain has been glamorised up for women to wear… Heels will always win the sexy vote but when it comes to comfort… there are times when the loafer will save the day. Loafers can be so individual… eccentric… simple…. embellished or plain… They can express our personality, allow us a little creativity in our wardrobes without any danger of age inappropriateness… We can wear them with jeans, with tailored trousers, with capris and with skirts… It is all win/win with the loafer…

jimmy choos… here  miu mius… here

reds… here  charlotte olympia… here   ’darcys’… here  kirkwoods… here  blues… here

and divine velvets from stubbs and wootten… here

Loafers… which ones will you be wearing?  xv

*****

To read more from French Essence click here

Les Chaussures on Pinterest… here

Share This: Follow Me on PinterestFollow Me on TwitterFollow Me on Facebook

92 Responses to Loafers Are The New Ballet Flats…

1. I love your selection! I own a pair of leopards myself which is an awesome way to perk up an all-black outfit. I’m drooling over the lovely blue loafers, I haven’t seen those around before!

x Gertie

2. Anita Rivera says:

THESE ARE WHAT I NEED! INDEED! Oh you made my day. I was wondering what kind of shoes I could get that were light yet sturdy. I am sick already of wearing snow boots! Any of these styles suits me just fine but that first taupe pair with the gold decoration is for me! Anita

3. Sophia Home says:

Dear Vicki,

All absolutely gorgeous! My favourites, if I had to choose, would be the Miranda Kerr pair top right – stunning. Thank you for the inspiration…..

Sophia

4. I love loafers and my closet proves it! J Crew, Banana republic, Stubbs and Wooton, Gucci, Tory are all my faves. So many to choose from….they are timeless and very classic, glad to see they are “in” though for me they never went out:)

5. miss b says:

I have a pair of black ones decorated with a few subtle studs and they are so versatile. Looking at your varied selection, I think I need more! The navy Jimmy Choos and the embellished ones top right would be a very useful addition to my shoe collection!!

6. I love the pink paisley ones…would love that pair for spring! Great choices!

• Vicki says:

THey are heaven… aren’t they? Imagine with black capri pants and a white teeshirt… easy and great looking… :)

7. Oh they really are, I love Penelope Chilvers loafers.

8. cecile says:

Vicky.

I got the My French Life and Provence3 books for Xmas from my son and daughter in law. I just love both. My perfecr Sunday morning reading w a croissant and cafe… I have question: Do you reside in Paris?

Cécile

9. Bonnie says:

I too love my loafers, but trying to keep the inside clean from foot cream is a chore. I know.. gross.

10. Rena says:

Still prefer ballet flats. For loafers you need a very slim calf and ankle. But both are comfortable and in so different colors available that I always can’t decide which color I should buy. The result?…guess….too many.

11. Hi Vicky!
    How are you!? I read about this a few months ago…… I love my ballet Flats but the loafers even more…… They are more like a slipper and have more room for embellishment. I am thrilled they are back I remember Joan and David did some fabulous ones a while back…MI am a gray black and white girl as far as dressing with some color in accessories, but my passion for the last year has been mixing with dark midnight navy…….. Love the examples you’ve shown.! Esp the gray ones with the gold medallionson top…..Maryanne xo

12. Vicki,
    I love loafers. I’m thrilled to hear they are still stylin’.
    Karen

13. I have a pair of very vintage red patent leather ones which I love to death. Especially with jeans. They always seem like a good idea.

14. I find loafers a classier look than ballet flats so agree, they are chic!

• Vicki says:

I think it’s fun to have a change… I have always worn ballet flats… but I am going to put those away for a bit and bring out the loafers..:)

15. Pamela RG says:

The Miu Miu flats with the brocade, velvet and jewelled heels are my favourite.Flats are so comfortable.

16. Hallie says:

Hi Vicki and Readers!
    I love these loafers, what a beautiful post, gave me lots of ideas. In NYC we have a number of great, old line shops that carry elegant designs. So glad you reminded us of them.

The benefit of loafers I’ve found is that you aren’t so close to the sidewalk, loafers until now had more padding and thicker soles to protect the foot. I do a lot of walking and need that.

17. Karena says:

Vicki,
    They are such a great look! Comfortable and go great with layered outfits!

xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artists Series

• Vicki says:

And flattering too … generally, if well cut, they elongate the foot… I really like the ‘cut out’ shape of the ones I featured… :)

18. Mona says:

I am so pleased about this because they are more comfortable to me even though ballet flats have a certain delightful look…love the jimmy chius…great to see you Vicki! xx

19. so many choices + how I adore that. Have always worn loafers + so happy to see them stylin. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

20. lisa thomson says:

I need to get me some loafers! Q. All of the pic’s show barefoot, which looks chic but can we get away with socks in a loafer?

21. Squeak says:

Yay! I love loafers. I could never figure out what to wear with ballet shoes. I don’t wear jeans, and that’s what most women seemed to wear them with.

22. KATHYSUE says:

I am so glad to see loafers coming back in vogue, I noticed this trend also and was thrilled, so many wonderful styles and colors to choose from. You have given us a great line-up!
    Kathysue

23. Love that they are back “in”. Classic, elegant and comfortable!!

24. Libby says:

Do you know the French Soles line? Guess they are more ballet flats than loafers, but I love them! Let’s hear it for anything flat!

25. Catherine says:

The lady at the shoe store told me (I bought a pair like the the leopard print ones at the top) that they are called “charentaise” slippers. They do look like what the pensioners in my village wear to go to the bakery (though the pensioners prefer them in plaid flannel).

26. déjà pseu says:

Love all of your picks here, Vicki! I find loafers much easier to walk in than ballet flats. Will definitely be taking advantage of this trend!

27. Always stylish ~ I remember another resurgence back in, oh, I think the 90s? And having a pair I just about lived in {especially with jeans and a white shirt}. I hope you’re having a lovely week, Vicki.

28. A interesting selection of loafers. Some “leave me cold” as they too closely resemble my childhood slippers while others I would buy in an instant. I have worn ballet flats for years, but now I am finding that my spreading feet are more comfortable in loafers than they are in the very low cut ballet flats. Warm regards

• Vicki says:

I think I like them because I don’t remember ever wearing slippers when I was small… probably to do with the Australian climate….:)

29. Anita Rivera says:

My dear Vicki,

I don’t know if you will ever know how seeing your comment today lifted my heart. Honestly.

I love to write, and yet TIME is of the essence, indeed. Your comment lifted me up because I wish (like everyone else!) I had more time to really write well. I want to be a writer. I do. But you are correct; I think constantly about themes, about ways to say things in my own simple way. I so appreciate that you noticed that there is some care in what I write.

Many thanks for lifting up my heart today! Anita

30. I”m so happy about this as ballet flats do nothing for me. Love loafers!

31. Gina says:

ha…I really must pay more attention to how chic my bo peep is

32. pve says:

Being tall, I love flats and loafers. I love the Belgian loafers and have a tapestry pair….nearly worn to smitherines. Now it is sooo very cold that socks and boots or slippers seem to be in fashion here in the Northeast.
    Brrrr.
    pve

33. Delores says:

I’ve been noticing a lot of loafers like you featured. I like them better than ballet flats as they come up higher and don’t irritate my foot where I had surgery years ago. Looking forward to wearing some loafers in Spring!

34. Coulda shoulda woulda says:

Yep, you know I love this post! Gonna go back and really study it!

35. Mae says:

Hi, Vicki,

Love love love these loafers. One problem, I tried your link to the jcrew pairs and I can’t find the blue & white striped pair! I wonder if they sold out, already?

• Vicki says:

I have looked everywhere… those loafers have disappeared! When I made the post there were the 2 I featured ( blue and white and spotty) and a very pretty pale pink pair available at J.Crew … but I can’t find them on the site at all… I will have another look again tomorrow… Sorry…:)

• Vicki says:

The link works now… and the loafers are there… :)

36. Mae says:

Actually, Vicki, I am having trouble locating the miu miu pair, as well. I can’t find it on the net a porter site, though I saw some other cute shoes. Your recommendations must be good for business!

• Vicki says:

The miu miu pair are available… in blue… :) And it would seem that the J. Crews are back!! I don’t know what happened there…:)

37. Nina says:

I know these are called loafers, but I have always thought they look more like slippers. They don’t look sturdy enough for long term wear on the streets. Loafers to me are made of sturdy leather with tassels or a spot for a penny . . . and yes you wear them with socks. I do think these are very pretty however, and would probably wear them out for a lunch or to entertain at home.
    P.S. Love your blog!

38. If only there were loafers which would make us look taller……Then I would wear them all!
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

39. Would love to have a pair of each Vicki. I love some styles w/ their spunky attitude. I dare to think I am more of a loafer girl than a ballet flat lover; especially if they are embellished!!

Have a lovely weekend Vicki. The snow has turned to rain here. Not so lovely.

xx Deb

40. I have always loved these shoes and have been wearing them for years! Mine are all from Stubbs and Wootton and they are very, very comfortable. It’s nice to know I am back in style!

41. classiq says:

I would love a pair of leopard loafers, but I guess a simple pair in navy, black or white (the only type of white shoe I would wear) will always be my first choice. An excellent flat shoe alternative to ballet flats and oxfords.
    Ada

42. Ana from T.O. says:

Vicki,
    I was going to add the following comment yesterday, which would have made me the 69th reply:

“The response to your loafers posting is a testament that women LOVE, LOVE their shoes..”

Now I’m the 84th reply – so the proof is in the pudding!

Here’s to springtime in Toronto ~ and the anticipation of wearing some loafers too.

Love your blog,
    Ana

43. Pamela Terry says:

I’m more of an oxford wearer, though I have my share of loafers as well.
    Spectators. Now, those are my favourites!
    xo

44. Yes, please! One pair of each! :)
    –Lee Ann

45. I always loved loafers and did not know that they are so in style. A comfortable classic, excellent to wear to work. Lovely blog as usual!
    Inessa

46. Lisa Porter says:

You’ve got my full attention with your fantastic selection Vicki!
    I have several pairs from over the years and so agree on the way they elongate and slim down the foot.
    My favorites are my Ralph Lauren simple black velvets, a gift from my mother.
    Even though they are more of an evening house shoe, I pair them up with my favorite grey trousers, a crisp white shirt, and I’m out the door!
    I always feel stylish and have a little more skip in my step after visiting with you my dear….thank you.
    XO

47. KarenP says:

Well, I’m obviously alone in thinking some of these look like you have forgotten to change out of your house slippers.. I do like the suede ones but not too sure about silk or wool. For an evening at home they are all lovely !

48. Ali says:

Love them all, but especially the ones on the top right with the gold medallion. What are they and where can I find them??

Thank you!

Ali

• Vicki says:

They are from Stubbs & Wootten.. I haven’t been able to find those but there is a cute pair, from the same company, linked at the end of the post..

49. Alexa says:

love the rose paisley pair ! and yes you are so right… no more ballerinas ! its all about loafers !