22 Aug 2014

Jardin Du Luxembourg… Where The Parisians Hide Out

Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris, Vicki Archer, French Essence

August in Paris… The Parisians are hiding out.

In the Jardin du Luxembourg.

Reading, sunning, chatting… playing with their children… the park was in holiday mode.

Few runners enjoying their daily workout or workers speedily cutting through the grounds to their offices.

Just a relaxed bunch who appeared not to have a care in the world.

Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris, Vicki Archer, French Essence

Jardin du Luxembourg is a favourite of mine in every season.

The expanse, the grandeur… the florals.

The way the gardeners plant up the urns… especially in Autumn… enthuses me to become more creative, more colourful in my plantings.

Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris, Vicki Archer, French Essence

I admire the way the park transitions into perfectly trimmed allées and gravel pathways.

A study in symmetry and simplicity

Secret corners for sweet talk… for solitude or for nothing at all.

Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris, Vicki Archer, French Essence

Most of all I enjoy observing.

The Parisian custom of sitting quietly… of being content… of living in that moment.

The park is their private garden, the rest of the world appears superfluous.

In many public spaces… I have noticed the same contemplation.

The Parisians have the ability to make it their own… xv

Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris, Vicki Archer, French Essence

Parc André Citröen

rue Balard, rue Saint-Charles, quai André Citroën

75015, Paris

Le Jardin des Serres d’Auteuil

3 avenue de la Porte d’Auteuil
750016, Paris

God bless them….the French rock. I adore them, I love everything in their culture and I’d love to be there RIGHT NOW!

Vicki, your photos are lovely. BONNE JOURNÉE! Anita

Thank you Anita… I seem to have no problem taking photos in Paris… I click and click… the same places and yet, they always appear different… to my eye, anyway… :)

Caroline Lacroix

Chère Vicki, I would just add le Parc Monceau, which is very nice. There are some beautiful hôtels particuliers all around and very interesting small museums such as le Musée Camondo, one of my favourite!

Colleen

Camondo is my favorite museum as well. The story behind all that beauty is so tragic. Parc Monceau nearby is lovely as well. I’ve only been there in May and would love to see it in the Fall.

Missy Klicka

This is my favorite spot to sit and relax and take Paris life in~ On our last visit it was the first place we went to breathe the atmosphere and the last for remembrance of our wonderful stay~
There are so many ‘rooms’ to visit there and so much french life to take in <3 Je t'aime <3

Anne Woodyard

Luxembourg is our most recent neighborhood, near a friend’s apartment where we’ve stayed for more thsn a decade- even if it’s a bit out of the way we’ll walk through on our way elsewhere. I Agree, too, about Monceau. …fond memories of when we stayed near there one summer more than 20 years ago for the French Piano Institute.

Pamela in portland

Vicki: Thanks for featuring my favorite park in the world! My family and I spent many happy hours in this park on our trip five years ago. My son made Parisian friends playing pick up basketball everyday after our museum rounds. My husband and I pretended we were Psrisians…Sipping wine or coffee at the cafe tables. Last time I was in Paris, my sister fell in love with it as we watched school children use the allees as a race track on their way home from school. It has the ability to slow the world down!

Linda Hanselman

Vicky
Your pictures are amazing! The color or filters you use are inspiring.

As long as I’m walking in Paris I’m happy. These are great suggestions and I’m going to print them off for hopefully my next trip which I hope is next year.

tara dillard

Amazing how most clients say they want nothing formal. Then during conversation, and looking at pics they’ve gathered, it’s mostly formal.

An inward smile and give them simple elegance. A lot of French, and Italian too.

Zero mention of the word ‘formal’ when we go over the plan I’ve produced. And, they ‘love’.

Garden & Be Well, XO T

Anita

I couldn’t agree more Vicki. Do love the Place Des Voges for all of the above reasons too. Bon Weekend. Anita

Kim

Vicki there is Parc Sceaux about 10k. s/w of the center of Paris- sweeping parkland,avenues of trees lined in rows and fountains in vast ponds.
Thankyou for this blog.
Kim

Miss Diane

Première visite à Paris, en 1993, nous logions à la Villa des Artistes, rue de la Grande Chaumière, tout près du Luco… nous y allions tous les jours, parfois 2 fois par jour! Pour moi, le parc le plus merveilleux de Paris!

Deb

Such a lovely spot to relax. I remember sunning myself there in the early spring about ten years ago. The Parisians were sun bathing on the grass, so we joined them. No sooner had we made ourselves comfortable the police came by to inform us this was strictly forbidden. Everyone vacated to the gravel, but as soon as the police were out of sight it was back onto the grass once more. This went on for most of the afternoon. We were reassured by the locals it was ok. My husband and I had tired of this game and wandered off for ice cream leaving it to the locals to continue trying to break the rules. Such a beautiful garden I can understand why lawn care is important. I’m also glad the locks are being taken down from the Paris bridges. I agree with the locals that it is an eye sore.
Cheers
Debbie

Elizabeth Ward

How absolutely wonderful your blog is! If I could live anywhere, how could it not be France?
Your blog and photos allow me to dream that I am French!

Penny Lundquist

I love the Jardin Du Luxembourg, and your photos capture the beauty and peacefulness of this urban retreat. I especially love seeing the children float little boats on the water. How I miss being there. Thanks for the lovely reminder.

Debi Timmerman

Dear Vicki,

I have been enjoying your blog for several months now. My daughter and her husband are living in Zurich and with more reasons to head to Europe, I am taking notes from your suggestions. We want to visit Provence in September and I would like to check on the availability of Le Petit Bijou. Is there a specific website I should go to for that? Many thanks!