23 Oct 2014

Travelling With The Five Top Skincare Essentials

Le Train Bleu, Jack Birns, Retour, The Top Five Skincare Essentials, Vicki Archer

When I am travelling there are five top skincare essentials that keep me company.

Those can’t-live-without-products that make you feel as if you are in a routine, even if you aren’t.

Moving around really plays havoc with the skin and it pays to be vigilant.

At the same time I don’t want to carry my home on my back either.

The answer is to keep it simple and travel with only the essentials.

I choose 5 skincare products.

Cleanser, Serum, Moisturiser, Sun Screen and Eye Gel.

That’s it. Simple, easy and effective.

Cleanser

Cleansing night and day is the most important step in my skincare routine. I think I would cleanse three times a day if I had the time. Sleeping in make-up and the day’s grime is not an option and if nothing else, the feeling of fresh skin makes me sleep better.

Darphin cleansing milk has been my product of choice forever. I swap cleansers within their range but it’s by far the best product I have tried. The texture is soft and creamy and the after effects are never drying on my skin.

Serum

Serum, what did we do without serum. I know there are many fabulous serums on the market and I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Please leave a comment with your favourite serum if you have a moment.

My go to is Valmont DNA  Repair serum. I use it sparingly, morning and evening and it does make all the difference.  I will apply it more frequently and generously if I have been flying

Moisturiser

The hardest choice of all. I mix and match products all the time forever searching for that elusive miracle. Lierac Arkesin + Creme Riche is the one I travel with. It is less expensive than many other facial creams and I find it very effective in combating dry and oftentimes sensitive skin.

Sunscreen

This ultra sun protection and primer from Chantecaille is the best. I have test driven this cream in the harshest of conditions and it works. The texture and fragrance are light which I find a change from many sunscreen products. This one goes on every day and with me everywhere.

Eye Gel

Embryolisse radiant eye treatment is a little wonder. A soothing and de-puffing gel in a tiny tube… once you try it, I am sure you will use it all the time.

darphin  //  valmont  //  lierac  //  chantecaille  //  embryolisse

When you travel, do you take a top five? xv

image via retour.eu

In This Post: , ,

Dearest Vicki! Bonjour!

I have used (maybe not the exact brands) at least FOUR of the five essentials you mention here. I am very curious now about serum. I am very happy that as I age, my skin is still rather good, but I must research the serum to see what it can do to help keep my skin radiant. The cleanser you mention however, sounds like a better option than what I’ve been using, which is more of an astringent. The richness of the one you mention sounds more like what I’m after now, especially as winter closes in!

Enjoy your travels dear Vicki et bonne journée! Anita

DO try serum Anita… you will love it and notice a difference. I also like the Clarins double serum for first try… Maybe some other readers will have some good suggestions as the day wears on… they usually do… :)

déjà pseu

Lots of moisturizer, for sure, and my favorite serum is the Clarins Double Serum. (though at home I also use the Skinceuticals C E Ferulic in the morning to combat the brown spots.)

I love the Clarins too, Susan.. and have used it for a long time until I found the Valmont serum… The texture is really lovely… and the hydrating effects very good.. and I need that.. :)

Angela Muller

Vicki, I am a skincare junkie. I’ve tried most of them, in all price ranges; and, though I can still be seduced by something I haven’t yet tried, my go to products have made a significant difference in the texture and radiance of my skin. They are: Purity by Philosophy, Cleanser; Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle Pads, following cleanser (wouldn’t be without these), PeterThomas Roth PM Retinol Serum for evening and Adrian Denese Hydroshield Serum for Day; L’Occitane Shea Butter Moisturizer for Night and L’Occitane Dream Cream for Day; La Roche-Posay 60+ Sunscreen; still searching for the perfect eye cream. Kiehl’s had a wonderful eye cream called Imperiale, but discontinued it and its replacements don’t make the grade for me.

Thanks Angela… I would like to try more of these products… especially the retinol products… I think we should discuss those next week.. :)

Debbie

I just started trying L’Oreal’s Youth Code products. I use the cleaner day and night and it does not dry my skin. I use the serum day and night and the moisturizing day and night creams daily. I have been alternating L’Oreal and ROC every other month for years now and I have never gotten the compliments on the beauty of my skin until adding Youth Code. Andie MacDowel is the cover girl for L’Oreal in the States and she lives an hour away from me. She is 7 years older than me and I see her in public. She is a walking billboard for L’Oreal and made me a beliver. Her skin is beautiful and she wears her age so elegantly.

Debbie

You’re so very welcome, Vicki! I hope you find as much satisfaction with L’Oreal and ROC as I do.
I love your posts and look forward to everything you have to share with us everyday!

Scribbler

Actually, I do tend to travel with “my house on my back” – which is tedious and I am always just about as happy to stay home. I need to pare down, that’s for sure. I will check out some of your products.

I became tired of carrying so much with me so I have seriously pared down… it is quite liberating :)

Sara

Hi Vicki,
I have been loyal to Eve Lom cleanser since the early 80’s when she did one to one facials in her basement room off Harley Street…couldn’t be without it!….
Also, she gave sound advice…keep your face away from the sun!! I thank her…

Mary

In addition to those 5 travel essentials, for years I have been traveling with a couple simple white washcloths. Recently before taking an overnight flight to Ireland from JFK I made sure I cleansed my face thoroughly and I was ready to fly overnight. Love having my own personal cloths with me. So inexpensive, you can toss or travel with a ziplock bag. You could use one of the makeup removal cloths, but I love a warm wash cloth. I also like to have them with me when I am a guest in someone’s home – keeps their towels nice!

Great idea Mary… I do love the fine muslin ones from Eve Lom.. they are what I use at home… maybe I should add them to the travel bag… :)

Karena

Thanks to the comments I am planning to try L’Oreal Youth Code. Traveling with good facial products is definitely so important. Thanks for the reminder Vicki!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Debbie

The wonderful thing too that I have found is they make them in travel sizes as well! I am delighted that I can take my L’Oreal Youth Code products with me to Grenoble this Christmas! :)

Linda Haxton

I love skin care products and just decant for travelling. My favs are Liz Earle cleanse and polish. Skinceuticals c e Ferulic in the morning and Sarah Chapman Age repair serum in the evening. Eucerin Hyaluron Filler is a good moisturiser for night and there is a day one with SPF15. I found these moisturisers via ‘a femme d’un certain age ‘ which I also read and love too.

I love the recommendations from Tish too… :) I have used the Eucerin products extensively and like them very much… sometimes I prefer a richer feeling cream, especially in the colder months…

Jen

I LOVE skincare but travel very light. I use whatever soap or body wash the hotel provides. I am hooked on Paula’s Choice Resist Skin Brightening Treatment. I use one of her moisturizing sunscreens on top if needed and sometimes use it alone. I just love the way the Brightening Treatment feels and it keeps my skin looking great. I take her Power Couple: Resist C15 & Skin Recovery Antioxidant Serum for night. They have a travel/trial size bottle of the C15 so it takes up no room. They also offer trail size packets in almost every product so I have taken some of those with her BHA or AHA serums if it is going to be very stressful trip.
I’ve tried a lot of products but found hers to be extremely effective, no fragrance, and very affordable. I did a free facial at the Origins store and the sales lady actually asked me to tell her what beauty line I used because she wanted to try it.

Sounds like this regime is working perfcely for you, Jen.. I am not familiar with these products… I shall have a look for them and try them… thank you for the tips.. :)

Karen in Oxford

Not planning to travel anytime soon but having just moved house, my skincare routine has been disturbed by long days and short nights and how my skin has suffered! But I’m back on track now. I have used Decleor products for more than twenty years – just love the smell of their products and I find the facial oils and balms quench my skin like nothing else I’ve tried, but I’m very interested in the Lierac face cream you mentioned which I’d like to try this winter. Have you ever tried the collagen eye compresses from Gatineau? They’re fabulous for a night out or a special occasion and I’ve used them after a long flight to soothe my dry eyes – the skin around my eyes always looked plumped after using them and the effect lasts quite a while.

No I haven’t Karen… but I will now… I could do with a bit of plumping… but only around the eyes… ;)

Pam@over50feeling40

I just cannot encourage you enough to look into IOMA-Paris, created right in the heart of Paris. I think you will love it. The most personal skincare line on the market, and from the country you love. Their very complete line is mixed at the counter just for you.

Lesley Mclellan

I agree that skin care is critical and would never dream of not cleansing before I go to bed .
I use Aesop Fabulous Face Cleanser ( I decant for travel) , it is an oil that I massage in to my face. I use their Perfect Facial Hydrating cream and their parsley seed eye cream. I read before sleep and hope that my skin has absorbed some restorative moisture before lights out as I sleep on my tummy and the sheets get moisturised in the process!
However, I really think that the four New Zealand oranges I eat and drink every day have a dynamic relationship with my skincare regime and are responsible for the compliments I get about my 63 year old skin.
I love the freshness of your words Vicki .A couple of nights ago flicked my way again through that fab book of yours “French Essence”…I needed to slip in to another lighter lane of life …I woke refreshed ..so many grateful thanks.

Thank you Lesley…. what a way you have with words… ” another lighter lane of life”…I may just have to quote you… :)

Sara

The only moisturizer I take if I have to pare down is Lancôme Nutrix and I have recently started leaving off the serums and using a face oil instead under my moisturizer. At the moment I am using L’Oreal Age Perfect face oil but have also used Clarins and Decleor. As the Nutrix doesn’t have sun protection I use Bioderma Photoderm max tinted ultra fluid suncare which is undoubtedly the best foundation I have ever used. Completely evens the skin tone but is invisible to the eye.So good that I use it as a foundation at night sometimes.

I use face oil at home but tend to leave it behind and go with the serum… I am keen to try these L’Oreal products… they sound very promising… :)

sharon santoni

I always love the Clarins products, because they work but also because they are not too perfumed. Tish introduced me to Eucerin that I love, and I have used Clinique toner for years now.
And Vicki, you’re going to hate me for saying this, but the two girls I know with the most incredible skin are both faithful to …… Nivea!
It’s maddening! :)
Sharon
xx

I remember Nivea when I was growing up… I think my mother used it… very white if I recall correctly… :)

sylvia faye

As a former esthetician I used many skin care products over the years and I have been blessed with good skin; however I believe that how you care for it while young effects what it is like in later life. Smoking is bad, bad for the skin at anytime.
I am in my eighties now and use very miminal skin care. I wash my face with just water but use a little natural soap to cleanse the small amount of makeup/eyeware.
My most easy secret skin care is Organic Coconut OIl…….gift from God. This also helps with dry hair and works like a charm. I take only coconut oil with me on my recent 2 weeks in Cape Cod for all my skin care needs. Use it all over your body as well.
With a joyful heart,
Sylvia Faye

isobel

I am with Sylvia, don’t smoke, and don’t lie in the sun. All pure natural products are best on the skin. We are so careful nowadays as to what we eat yet we put all kinds of chemicals on our skin that are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. Silica supplements, red wine, omega 3 and vitamin e are great for all over body health, joints and great skin

I, too, use organic virgin coconut oil for a considerable number of my beauty needs. I use it to remove my makeup (gets even my waterproof mascara off easily), and even though it is an oil, I find that it washes off without leaving a greasy residue. I use it as a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment. My hair stylist says that my hair has never looked better or healthier since I’ve started using it. I also use just the dearest little smidge of it rubbed between my fingers on my hair before I blow it dry. It tames frizzies better than anything else I’ve ever used, and without an oily feel or look, and leaves it straight and sleek — the way I like it.

Catherine Lynn

Hello Vicki I have hypersensitive skin and use La Roche Posay which my skin loves. I can use their serums and their anti redness range but Australia does not have all their product range so have to order online sometimes. Being allergic to parables and benzoates makes finding a skin care range a tad more difficult! And i have stayed out of the sun since the age of 21 and it has paid off! Hard to do in Queensland and still most women have not got the message!! I love waking up to another post Vicki! It starts my day beautifully!!!!!!!

Valerie

Since I have discovered this I wanted to pass it along to all…I am not a huge fan of skincare products–I have a hard time finding what works, they can be really expensive, and it seems for me a lot depends on what I am consuming (no sugar and limited breads make a huge difference!) but I have found something that I absolutely LOVE, and it is so simple and excellent. It is
fresh pressed, whole kernel, unrefined coconut oil ( I use Dr. Bonner’s). It has sunscreen properties, has no chemicals, and the result is also firming and healing and moisturizing the skin. Best thing is I also use it in food and has even better benefits for the body. The wonders of coconut oil are amazing…here is a link explaining if you are interested! http://www.drfranklipman.com/coconut-the-oil-of-wonder/

Penelope

I use Obagi skin care products in the travel size when traveling, which has a super sunscreen. I have found drinking lots of water helps our skin also! On my last visit abroad, I purchased two products at a French Pharmacie and both were inexpensive. Lait-Creme Concentre’ by Embryolisse and Masque Creme Fraiche by Nuxe. I enjoy using both now!

Embryolisse is a wonderful product and one of my French pharmacy go to’s… It has not been easily available before so I was happy to find it to show you… I gave one of the eye gels to a girlfriend last week.. she is hooked… and is giving them as gifts this Christmas!

Kim

Hi Vicki,
I have to agree with Silvia, I use coconut oil I find it very nourishing.
I also use moisturises,serums,rose hip oils.
I don’t wear much make-up so I don’t use a cleanser but I find the coconut oil cleansing somehow.

swan

Wow – Expensive -I am sure your suggestions are wonderful though. At the moment I am giving LIFECELL a try. It claims to be a serum/moisturizer/lifter all-in-one. It’s available through the internet. I don’t usually go for this sort of thing, but like the idea of not having to travel with so many beauty aids. So far it seems OK, although it probably is not as good as purpose made moisture creams or serums.
What do you and your readers think ?
Swan xx

Sandy M.

Tried your reccomendations on the cleanser and moisturizer and love them both. Just ordered the eye treatment. Taking a trip to Az and know I need all the moisture I can get! Thanks my skin loves you!

Wendy Shippee

I Travel often,sometimes long flights ,sometimes not so long. A few years ago I dropped all sense of vanity and started using moisturizing face masks on long flights. Sometimes they are thick clear gel or cream and sometimes they are the sheets with holes for your eyes and mouth. I also use extra eye cream. Yes, I have gotten strange looks from other passengers but the flight staff always ask which product I am using. On ocassion I have used L’oreal other times have La Mer. It doesn’t matter to me as long as it is moisturizing. As for products I like Bioderma to remove makeup and I switch cleansers to often to mention anything special but I use a Clarisonic and change the head (brush once or twice a month). I do not use a toner. For serum I like Rodin ( but I am going to try the Valmont). I have been using La Mer moisturizing cream and their Eye Balm Intense forever. I have tried others, but these work best for me. Lately I have been using Pat Wexler de-puffing eye gel for day and a Bioelements light moisturizer for day. I have also incorporated Day by Day Vitamin C Serum and their Hyaluronic Acid morning and evening into my mix. Everything is in small bottles or sample sizes so I don’t have to haul a cosmetics trunk with me!! I am looking forward to trying all the recommendations posted. Almost forgot, I’m also a fan of the Nevia Cream, the one made in Germany!

Blanton

Hi all,
I love shisheido everything, but I’m on a budget…soooo here’s what I use: PONDS cold cream!!! Then I pair it with OPYN by manveenasolutions for face and shisheido eye cream. With my savings using ponds, the OPYN oil and eye cream fit into my budget. My grandmothers used Ponds and I’m blessed with great skin too. My mom just switched back to Ponds too. I just love it.

Roberta Costa

I love Clarins Super Restorative Day and Night Cream. There is a noticeable difference when I stop using these products, even for a few days. Also, La Roche Posay 60+ sunscreen. Haven’t found the “right” cleanser yet.

Bonnie

Last year when my skin went to hell in a handbasket someone recommended that I try the full line of Dermalogica ultracalming products. My skin responded almost instantly, and I’ve been a devote follower since.

Margaret

Hi Vicki, i have to agree with jan above, paulas choice products are the best, especially the resist range. I work for a dermatologist and regually are thought to be at least 8 years younger looking than my 52 years. Of course the best thing to use everyday is 50+sunblock. Love your posts. Love from Margaret in Perth Australia. Xx

jlonit

I’ve been using Clarins Gentle Day Cream for 25 years. I have freckly, sensitive skin and can’t use anything else now. I’m now addicted to the Clarins Double Serum and don’t know how I ever lived without it.

Also Avene Eau Thermale water spray – again because of my dry sensitised skin. It keeps my face cool and calms down the redness when the weather is too hot or too cold for my skin.

JacquelineMarie

I love Clarins Double Serum, it’s fantastic. I would also add for hydration, Chantecaille’s Pure Rose Water spray, it hydrates and has a lovely relaxing scent.

Karen in VA

I always love your “lotions and potions” posts. I switch around too, it’s amazing how changing things up just gives you a fresh approach.

I always come back to Kiehl’s … Their Ultra Facial Moisturizer is great and very travel friendly … Their Avacado Eye Cream is lovely as well.

I would love to know what a serum does. What is the purpose? Do you put it on after moisturizer?

As I don’t like sun on my face, the little bit of SPF in my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is fine.

I’m going to read all the great comments now .. Always like new things.

Karen in CT

Karen in VA

Oops forgot cleanser … Cetaphil Gentle forever, can’t leave it.

Clarisonic at least three times a week with the sensitive brush.

Nothing but NOTHING is as good as WATER and SLEEP.

Cheers

Karen in VA

Wendy Robinson

Hi Vicki,
This has been a very interesting and timely discussion thread for me, as I am about to travel to Europe in 6 weeks time with my family for a White European Christmas (France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland & London). As I live in Newcastle, NSW, we will be traversing time zones and temperature extremes. (33 deg C here today!) I am 54 & do love using Clarins products (eg. extra firming creams & serums) & they have lovely travel size products, but would love to try some of the products you mentioned. We will be in Paris for 5 days on our 5th day of travelling, and would love to go to some of the super Pharmacies you mention in your posts. Do they help with skin care choices and give samples etc? (I speak only a little French, so a recommendation for one where they could help me in English would be great) We will be staying in the 7th Arr. Can you purchase any of the products you mention in the Pharmacies or do you have to go to a specialist beauty centre? Any suggestions welcome!
Kind regards,
Wendy

Wendy,
The French pharmacies give away lots of samples and you will find many good products there… and many that we have spoken about here. The Embryolisse range is in most French pharmacies and other great brands too… like Darphin and Roche-Posay. Ask them for recommendations and see what they suggest… try a few differenet pharmacies and see what surprises you come back with…
Don’t forget to tell us.. :)

Marsha Bolen

Thank you for the suggestions! Skin care products are some of my favorite things!
I’m very interested to try the eye gel that you mentioned.
For me, sunscreen (which you also mentioned) is an absolute must. It’s one of those items that you simply can not go a single day without!

Chris Young

Hello~ I am new to your site. I think it is so much fun~ thank you!
Serum: Lierac Luminescence is my all time favorite. After moisturizing, I mix a little with La Roche 50+ tinted sunscreen. Then a little powder. Beautiful finish and skin looks radiant! Both at French Pharmacies.
Question: Have you heard of Codina Products from Paris? All natural, cold pressed. Only the finest natural ingredients. I have used their moisturizers for years. They are the consistency of a cold cream and a little goes a long way. They are so pure that I keep them in the refrigerator! I mix a little of the Creme Bourrache with the Codina Aragon oil and use it as a night cream. Really amazing! Codina: 24 rue violet Paris. I would love to know your thoughts on these products. Thank you again for making me smile :) each time I open your page!

I don’t know them Chris, but I will certainly go and visit Codina there when I am next in Paris… Thank you so much … It’s always fun to be finding something new, especially in Paris… :)

edith

I use Elizabeth Arden Ceramide capsules. At night after cleansing,and toning then a Ceramide capsule, seal in with CeraVe cream in the big cheap tub and wake up to great skin. Visible difference. No preservatives due to sealed capsules so that helps too.