23 Feb 2015

Dressed To Win, The 2015 Academy Awards

oscars-2015-red-carpet-style.com-vickiarcher

Were Hollywood dressed to win academy awards last night? What were your thoughts on the gowns?

Rosamund Pike, wearing Givenchy Haute Couture, surely was eventhough she didn’t.

oscars-2015-red-carpet-style.com-vickiarcher

Meryl Street in Lanvin looked elegant and timeless. Cate Blanchett and Maison Margiela were an understated match and the Tiffany jewels certainly made a statement.

I would have preferred softer hair with both looks but that’s just me.

Academy Awards 2015 :1oscars-2015-red-carpet-style.com-vickiarcher

Neutrals and 50 shades of cream graced the red carpet. Some I loved, some not so much. I felt in many ways that some of the dresses were lacklustre. After the Haute Couture Shows in Paris earlier this year I was expecting a prettier showcase.

Reese Witherspoon, dressed by Tom Ford maintained her red carpet glamour and Julienne Moore looked evey inch the winner in Chanel Haute Couture.

Marion Cotillard and Dior, normally the perfect pair, seemed an unlikely match this year.

Felicity Jones and Lupito Nyong’o did Alexander McQueen and Calvin Klein Proud.

and Lady Gaga, always Lady Gaga.

oscars-2015-red-carpet-style.com-vickiarcheroscars-2015-red-carpet-style.com-vickiarcher

Plunging necklines and strapless bodices were popular. If my décolletage was as beautiful as Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lopez, I might be brave enough too… xv

interested to remember the past winners? we chatted about that here

images style.com

Karena

My favorites were Rosamund, Jessica C (though many did not love hers) Sienna Miller in de la Renta, Lupita. Many I saw were just so, so, prom looking or ill fitted unfortunately, I won’t even name names!! Loved a lot of the couple shots like Benedict and his wife etc.

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

I never watch awards shows. But I agree with you about the softer hair. I think that, with age, pulling hair off one’s face is a mistake. You have more to hide. Bring on the bangs , wisps, and hair falling onto the face. Works for me.

Pam@over50feeling40

I watch the red carpet shows but not the actual awards show…most of the movies I have not seen anyway. I agree on the softer hair for both of those ladies…it would have helped, but the looks were nice. I really liked Laura Dearn’s dress. It has been interesting to me to see all of the diversity of opinion today…last year there was more agreement on the hits and misses. This year the reviews are very mixed. I love to see all of the beautiful dresses….and then what others thought of them.

Suzanne

I didn’t watch as haven’t had a TV in 20+ years. But among photos I’ve seen, I prefer Lupita’s. Understated, form-fitting, quietly elegant, texture. A close-up reveals a work of craftsmanship and art.

cindy hattersley

I love Mimi’s comment about the hair! So true!! I missed most of it so have had to rely on all of your reviews! I think Julianne Moore looked stunning as always but that Rosamind Pike was fabulous!!

Angelique

It’s all so PC it makes me want to gag!

However, I do love the gowns and the glamour. I’ll be glad when these shrunken suits on men go away! I think the TV critics are so harsh on all of these beautiful women and beautiful dresses. As they were sitting there criticizing some of these women; I watched one of them with purple hair and thought what are you talking about you look ridiculous. I can appreciate the hours and hours of detail that goes into each one of these gorgeous gowns. When Princess Diana’s dresses came to Seattle I went to see. Oh my gosh you can’t even tell where a seem is. Amazing so much fun to watch.

Bonjour, Vicki!

Late again to your posts…I simply can’t keep up these days!

I did not watch the awards, but the next morning went immediately to the on-line news to catch the scoop. And I agree with you that some of the choices for the evening (both fashion and awards) were mixed for me. But as far as the gowns go, I am always leaning toward the classic. Meryl Streep – what a grand choice. You cannot go wrong with a sleek, black suit with a wispy blouse and fine accessories. Cate Blanchett’s perfect black punctuated by the aqua beads is stunning. I believe, leave the ruffles and crust of sequins to the younger ones now; the seasoned women look best in soft lines, monochromatic shades and a statement jewel.

Oh the fun of the Oscars, no matter who wins! Have a super day lovely Vicki! Anita

Mary e Scott

Of all the oscar fashion reports I have seen this is the first one with a picture of Rene Russo, and she looks fantastic! Is it that older women just are photographed as much?