13 Nov 2015

Style Notes: One Piece Three Ways

jean shrimpton photographed by david bailey, vickiarcher.com

One piece worn three ways.

That is ideal, right?

When we find that perfect piece it helps to wear it in multiple ways. These days fashion has taken a path of mix and match and pairing the expected with the unexpected is a way to dress that not only allows us to feel unique but also makes our wardrobe more flexible.

My recent love affair with velvet has moved onwards and upwards; I found the perfect dress. When I get a crush, I am all in. The dress is simple, beautifully cut and with a very flattering neckline. Avenue 32 is my latest go-to for unique and different pieces; their edit and curating has that edge that we all search for in an online world, a place where everything can begin to feel the same.

The best part? Forest green velvet.

The beauty of this sheath dress in such a glorious colour is the change from black. I’m not going soft on the LBD but it is wonderful to mix in the jewel tones from time to time. The simplicity of the style means that I can wear it often and on many varied occasions.

If royal blue is more your colour and silk velvet your passion, have a look here.

jean shrimpton photographed by david bailey, vickiarcher.comjean shrimpton photographed by david bailey, vickiarcher.com

This dress is an investment piece.

The style, from Spanish designer Emilio de la Morena, is a classic that won’t date. The forest green colour is one I have always favoured and I know works with most accessories. These days I pretty much know what suits and what won’t; this makes investment dressing all the more easy.

How will this dress work in multiple ways?

A sheath dress is one that suits most figures, even a fuller one. Curves are to be flattered not hidden and a sheath, if well cut, enhances the female body and looks womanly and generous. That is to be celebrated.

This dress is going places. To dinner, to work, to the theatre and probably even travelling great distances. It needs to be worn with heels, with flats and with boots. I’m going to add a denim jacket and a pair of sneakers before the weather completely turns; I know some of you aren’t convinced about the sneakers but right now I am wearing them often and having fun with them.

A classic overcoat or a faux fur will take this dress anywhere and whether the heels make it quite the grown up holiday outfit or the booties will most likely depend on mood. I might even wear the faux fur in the day with the sneakers.

One dress worn three ways is the best kind of puzzle; all the pieces fit. xv

One Piece Three Ways

[thefeedproducts style=’four’]

emelio de la morena forest green dress
plus

alexa chung for ag denim jacket  //  carven bottle green coat  //  ainea faux-fur circle print jacket

add shoes + bag

bionda castana ankle tie heels  //  stan smith sneaker  //  prada leather ankle boot  //  alfie douglas mini shoulder bag

images, jean shrimpton by david bailey

Everything you share is so elegant and perfect for the season, Vicki. Velvet…oh yes; I have my share of it. I will never, ever let go of it. Now that the air is cooling off as is proper for November, velvet will be my fabric of choice because it really keeps me warm!

Have a lovely day. Anita

I think it is the luxurious feel that I love and that makses us feel cosy… velvet everything is my current mood, Anita… :)

I agree about the sheath dress: it completely flatters the wearer’s figure. My Ann Taylor LBD has darts in all the right places. Makes me look as if I had curves instead of rather a boyish figure. I feel chic and invincible when I put it on. And, yes — it goes anywhere and can be paired in many ways.

FrenchGardenHouse

Such a glorious color, the perfect dress for anything this season. From boots and a jeans jacket to ultra chic with heels and statement necklace, it will look gorgeous. Classic, elegant dresses add so much possibility to our wardrobe, I’m still loving a deep navy velvet dress I bought a while ago, it works everywhere. The green is beautiful, might be on my ” I’ve been good” list.

CWirth

YES please!!! Once again, you nailed it! LOVE LOVE LOVE that featured sheath dress…now to figure out how I can get that into my closet…..

Missi

I love the green dress. The cut is amazing! You will look like a Bond girl!
Btw, the French actress, Lea Seydoux, in the new Bond film is lovely. She wears a beautiful, clingy sheath in the train scene.

Michelle

I just dug out a pair of Lauren classic black velvet straight leg trousers. They have a satin band at the waist. I’ve only worn them once or twice. I’m shopping my closet!

Great find, Michelle… I love the sound of those velvet pants.. and I love the sound of your closet more.. ;)

Karena

Vicki I do think it is the fabrics and textures of fall and Winter that I love so much, as well as the rich colors!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Sandra Goroff

C. Sambeat

Vicki –
Love the sheath dress, always so flattering! Also love all these classic looks, and on Jean Shrimpton no less! She has always been my favorite model – so flawless and classically, as well as naturally, beautiful. Thanks for bringing her to mind!

Cynthia

I do love using the older fashion shoots to inspire our way of dressing, Cynthia… sometimes the connections are not so obvious but I always find inspiration there… :)

Ella

Velvet is so classic – never goes out of style. I purchased a beautiful black velvet v-neck dress with a fitted-waistline and flared skirt to attend a late fall evening wedding – that was 8 years ago – still looks fabulous and always current. Also, it makes my waist look small!!!

Kristina

Lovely to look at but here in Sydney it’s 25 degrees C and summer is around the corner!