5 Nov 2015

When The Ballerina Becomes The Velvet Slipper

vintage velvet slippers

The velvet slipper is the new ballerina flat.

The shoe we wear with everything has changed. It is not to say that the ballerina is out, never fear that won’t happen but the velvet slipper is creating a little attention and competition.

Think silks and satins, paisley and prints; smoking jackets, black tie and Downton Abbey. The only difference is flat velvet slippers are being worn with everything. No longer a shoe for the boys, velvet in loafer form is a wonderful alternative when seeking a flat shoe.

In Paris I saw many velvet flats on feet and in the shops. Worn with just about everything, they looked fabulous; the masculine worn feminine is a look I love.

The velvet loafer isn’t anything new; some brands have been making them forever, with monograms and embroidery, but generally they have been reserved for menswear.

Not any more, velvet is back and in a big way.

I like the texture velvet adds to the fashion mix and having something so luxurious on the feet is wonderful.

All black, wear it with black velvet slippers and a dash of rouge noir on the lips. What an easy way to go. xv

Velvet Slippers, The New Ballerinas

[thefeedproducts style=’three’]

del torro velvet venetian  //  del torro velvet venetian  //  stubbs and wootton

inside only

***patricia green diana slipper  //  ***acorn embroidered slipper

images, life archives

OK, SOLD. I have been needing some new flats but these are what I need. VELVET. These look good with a short little skirt as well as boyfriend jeans. OK! Off I go to look! Happy day, Vicki!

Gorgeous with the boyfriends, Anita…
When I was with my daughter last weekend she wore white jeans and white velvety slipper loafers and a white shirt and topped it off with a sort of beigy/grey coat and cute hat… it was such a good look… I need to copy.. ;)

April, Styleblancetnoir

Vickie, your post is so timely for me. I just bought a pair of the Del Toro Venetian slippers. So comfortable and flattering. Usually, by the time I learn of a trend, the rest of the world has already moved on!

linda

for even more affordability and comfort – Aerosoles does a velvet loafer with a cute chain detail. I bought a navy pair for my upcoming trip to Paris. I can look stylish and walk all day long !

La Contessa

How fun!I bought a FEW colors in VENICE three years ago…………..I love them for around the house.These are not really going out shoes but they are VELVET……………a trend setter I am!!

Karena

Vicki a velvet slipper looks so lovely while hostessing a gathering this time of year! Adore!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Carrier and Company

The Enchanted Home

Love a velvet slipper and have a few:) It is always so elegant and I associate a fabulous holiday gathering with pretty velvet slippers, a taffeta skirt and of course a beautiful piece of jewelry to polish off the look!

Roxane

I’ve been sold on this style of shoe forever, a continuous fashion choice in my closet! I love my J Crew slipper, although it’s in suede, but it’s perfect for wearing out. For a bit of bling while in my home, I wear my green velvet Saachi slide on slippers.

gail

Wondering about the Del Toro sizing – since they are men’s shoes at both Barneys and Saks. I see them in whole sizes. If I am a 6.5-7 in women’s, would the size 7 men’s work for me?

I found this guide…
UK EU US
2.5 34.5 3.5 men = 5 women
6.5 40 7.5 men = 9 women
7 40.5 8 men = 9.5 women

I hope that helps? I imagine you would be a 5.5?