24 Mar 2016

10 Easier Ways To Quit Sugar

10 Easier Ways to Quit Sugar, vickiarcher.com

Are there any easy ways to quit sugar?

Here is what Lily said,

Quitting sugar is not only one of the greatest things to do for your health, but also one of the hardest. I can give you over a 100 reasons why sugar ruins health, and still it can be irresistible.

Sugar is highly addictive and the effects can literally highjack the brain making us want more and more.

There are 10 “easier” ways to quit sugar and break the cycle.

10 Easier Ways to Quit Sugar, vickiarcher.com

10 Easier Ways To Quit Sugar

• 1. Go cold-turkey

Sugar is addictive. The more we eat, the more we want. By going cold turkey for a month you can recalibrate the taste buds and cravings will subside.

2. Detox your home and desk

Out of site, out of mind really does help. Clear the kitchen cupboards and desk space of all temptations.

3. Tell your family, friends and co-workers

By confiding in friends and co-workers about your plans, they will be less likely to wave the office cake tray under your nose.

4. Read every food label

Hidden sugar is found in the strangest places!!

Simple rule – if the food product contains more than 5g per 100g, this will be in the red zone of the traffic light label – this should ring alarm bells.

5. Kill your cravings with a low sugar treat

If you really need a sweet fix try whizzing some berries in a blender with natural yoghurt and seeds. This low sugar snack will curb those cravings.

*Top tip – add a pinch of cinnamon to curb the cravings even further

6. Cook from scratch

This is the easiest way to control sugar intake – say goodbye to hidden sugar, additives, colourings, chemicals and flavourings.

7. Eat protein and healthy fats at each meal

Protein and healthy fats are great for balancing blood sugar levels. They keep you fuller for longer, prevent energy dips and reduce sugar cravings.

Eat lean meats, fish, nuts & seeds, tofu, avocado, cold-pressed oils, beans and pulses, natural yoghurt, eggs, nut and seed butters.

• 8. Up your chromium intake

Chromium is a mineral needed for balancing blood sugar. Evidence suggests that supplementation with chromium picolinate may help reduce sugar cravings.

9. Flex your ‘I’m not eating sugar’ muscle daily

Each time you flex your ‘I’m not eating sugar’ muscle you are forming a new neural pathway in the brain – over time this will form into a healthy habit. Each time you resist sugar, don’t think of it as a burden – think of it as a strengthening exercise.

10. Indulge in life, not sugar

Don’t use sugar to change your mood. Instead use nourishing life pleasures – have a bath, get a massage, laugh with a friend, watch your favourite film –the list is endless.

images tim walker for w magazine

10 Easier Ways to Quit Sugar, Lily Soutter

Lily Soutter is a Nutritionist & Nutritional Therapist

learn more about lily @ lilysoutternutrition.com

Once you have some sugar you crave more. So one way to quit, or to taper off, is to put off your first sugar hit until as late as possible in the day. That means no sugary breakfast. Why do people think sugar is good at breakfast? It just makes you slump later. Instead, start the day with a sugar-free breakfast. We’ve been eating veggie muffins for breakfast (I put a recipe on my blog–very easy, and I froze them so I defrost one or two at a time). And cooking from scratch–for sure. I make my own tomato sauce in the fall, and use beets to add sweetness (and vitamins).

AMEN. Sugar has two faces: sweet and dangerous. But we only see the one side.

I too many years ago, went cold turkey and now I’m free. Nuts, seeds, olive oil, protein, fruits and veggies and lots of water are what I fuel this body with! WE CAN DO IT!

Cathy C

Hi Vicki,
Last spring, I basically quit added sugar. I still ate some dairy and fruit but tried to cook from scratch. I lost 16 lbs in just a few months. During the US fall and winter holidays I reverted to old ways – holiday treats and bread, bread, bread and before I knew it the pounds came back. Not all, thankfully, but this post has inspired me…thank you Vicki for this conversation. I know what to do.
Cathy

Wendy Shippee

OMG! Thank you so much for this post! I just received my blood work results from my doctor and my sugar count is a bit high. As a life long sugar fiend, I need help with this. I am putting your tips into effect today.

Michelle

Moderation in all things is my credo. A small macaron or two with our daily afternoon tea won’t ruin us if we can be satified with that. In my experience it’s true that the less sugar you eat, the less you will crave. I do think that total denial can result in out of control cravings and ultimate binging. Fred Astaire was famous for allowing himself two (and ONLY two) pieces of dark chocolate a day. He said that he looked forward to his daily treat and savored every bite.

Fran

Drinking sugar is just as bad as eating sugar – that is why I have said “bye bye” to my beloved dinner time Vino – that was a hard one for me. It’s “Hello, Sencha” instead, now.

Wendi

No, not doing it. Life without wine, without a bit of chocolate, without an ice cream cone on a summer day is a life devoid of the good things of life and it is too short to deny myself those little pleasures. All things in moderation is my credo too. This is my sixtieth birthday year….I eat well, I have always looked after my skin, I exercise, I have more energy than most twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings too, I look 10 years younger and feel even younger than that. So, no, not doing it without apology. My mother is 86…she golfs every Tuesday morning with her ladies group…without a cart, isn’t on ANY medication, could run circles around most. If I told her she had to give up her wine…well, let’s just say, it wouldn’t be a pretty picture!!

Manon

I am with 100% – Wendi… I think some parts of the world ( not naming which ) consume way too much sugar… and as you know sugar is needed too.. everything is moderation… Completely eliminate sugar? Not for me…

Jody

I chose to change my diet because of autoimmune disease, and sugar was the first thing to go. It takes time, because even if you’ve given up the usual suspects, there’s hidden sugar everywhere, yogurt, ketchup, coconut water, salad dressing, protein bars, etc. Lots of label reading, but it’s worth it.