25 Sep 2016

Staying Home Is The New Going Out

Staying Home IS The New GOing Out on vickiarcher.com

Staying home?

When I saw this clever line, I immediately thought they were onto something.

Staying home must be one of the greatest and most underrated pleasures of all time; home is the “new” fancy place.

I am trying to recall how I felt about staying home in my earlier years. I don’t know if I had much of the fear-of-missing-out phobia, as I don’t recall worrying about it overly. I was the opposite I hated going away and I was never happier than pottering about at home. If anything I probably had to be forced to get out and about.

Some can be out day and night, flittering from one event and a myriad of activities every day of the week. Their idea of heaven is my worst nightmare. Not me; I find the frenetic life exhausting and crave the peace and quiet of “home”. Even when travelling and I do love to travel, I find the home-away-from-home becomes the substitute for home. I have the tendency to be homemaker wherever I am, whether it is for an extended holiday or simply a weekend away. I can’t help myself, wherever I am I make it “mine”.

I guess I like to make my mark in a place, whether it is permanent or fleeting.

I travel with a few creature comforts, small bits and pieces that make me feel settled and cosy in unfamiliar digs; often pieces to trigger the senses and remind me of home.

“Home” is our castle.

I have never understood those who don’t care about their surroundings although I do envy them in a way. Creating a home and caring about the interior can become an obsession.  There is a balance to seek and I hope these days I’m there. When I was younger I strove for perfection, within my capabilities and focused on every small internal and external detail. I question how much I really relaxed and enjoyed that environment. I remember our early days in Provence; I never sat still, I was always re-inventing and re-arranging.

Today, I don’t fret if a little mess interrupts the view or we aren’t as “together” as I would like. I am happy where things sit and I leave them alone. Yes, I do make small changes here and there but nothing like I once did. I am trying to enjoy the moment more, accept home is a home and banish the “showpiece” mentality. Help! I think I’m growing up.

Home is our security blanket, our nest and it is important to feel at one with it. Recently I have had an unsettled feeling; we are in-between in London and I am realising that temporary, however comfortable is a little de-stabilising. Like it or not, staying home is my fancy place and I’m ready to set up another one. Being at home, where you belong, is one potent feeling. I miss the commitment to bricks and mortar. In Provence, I always feel at home but I’m not always at home, if you see what I mean? Life, family and commitments have led me away and everyday life is more London focused.

Staying home? Is it the new going out to a fancy place?

I’m thinking yes. xv

Staying Home Is The New Fancy: Go Grey

just because we are at home doesn’t mean we don’t look good; comfortable dresses are my go-to for look and feel

eileen fisher shift  //  **eileen fisher bateau neck  //  current elliot long-sleeve

image ligne roset campaign

In This Post: ,

Mumbai

I underline every sentence. This feeling started with my first own home (centuries ago) and will never change (hopefully).

I prefer the familiarity and comfort of home to anywhere else at all. It will never be featured in HG or Martha Stewart Living. It’s minimalist by most people’s standards, as I don’t buy stuff just to have stuff. Everything must either serve a purpose or delight me in some way (sometimes both!) and when it no longer does, I have no problem getting rid of it. Most everything is second-hand, whether inherited, bought at a garage sale, or pulled out of a dumpster. But it’s cozy, easy to clean, and we love it. Even when we go out to dinner or to some sort of festival (which seem to abound this time of year), the favorite part of our outing is always coming home again. In fact, besides getting provisions, the only reason to leave is to appreciate just what a refuge we have here.

Leaving does make us appreciate all the positives about home, that is so true Mimi…
A home can be minimalist or maximalist (if that is a word) but either way it’s all about what resonates to each individual.. that’s why it’s “home”.. :)

Dearest Vicki, Ruben and I, our favorite place to “visit” IS OUR HOME! Yes! And like you, I make minimal changes for the seasons, live with them (that’s why I like comfortable elegance) and then revel in it all. When we were younger, we loved running out to be with the crowds. Now, all we want to do is maybe go for a good walk around the lakes, look at the gardens, homes, eat out (healthy foods!) but most of all, come home to our little castle. It’s always chic to be grateful for what you have!

I just saw that you visited my blog post! How perfect our two post here connected, Vicki! Yes, living on a budget all these years did not stop us from trying to make a dream come true. We love our Minneapolis cottage, and if my creative and handy father were alive, he’d be proud of how my husband and I both built this place. INSPIRE!

I did think that Anita!
I had written mine and received your email… and thought, like minds.. :)

Missi

Wow, I love this post! I am also a homebody! I love to decorate and just enjoy my home so much. And when I travel, I always keep my room neat as I feel like it’s my home away from home too.
I know how you feel about being unsettled. We are thinking of buying a new home in our town. We may make an offer on a house today. I have such mixed feelings. I love my home now but imagine a new place to decorate. I think change for me is hard!

So, Vicki, I am curious. Are you going to find a more permanent home in London? If so, I’d love for you to post about the process and the decorating.

Yes Missi, we will… and yes I will post about it when we do.. Probably next year I think.. I would love to do another project so I am hoping to find something I can really get stuck in to… Change is a bit frightening but once we jump.. it always works out :)

Kaaren Eastwood

WOW! I would love for you to tell us why are you moving. It is because you want something smaller to live in? Everybody keeps on saying people must downsize in Australia as we get older? Leave our homes and move smaller or heaven forbid into an over 55 complex! I can thing of nothing worse! will really look forward to your next adventure.

Jeanne

Love reading about your ideas. On the subject of “home” or casual you have to check out Kit and Ace if you haven’t seen it before. Gorgeous easy to care for cashmere blend fabrics, beautiful scarves, sweaters, everything really. Don’t miss it.

Lisa DeNunzio

Home and its surroundings has always been important to me. Not sure if it is my birth sign, Libra; but I have always enjoyed the beauty and comforts of home. Now that we have three of them, I still like to feel ‘at home’ in them all. We are constantly ferrying bits and bobs of precious treasures and mementoes back and forth across the Atlantic as well as collecting new ones. These cherished objects remind me of home – no matter where I am. They are a backdrop for my life with my family.

I know this story Lisa!
I promised myself about 18 months ago… no moving pieces between countries anymore.. Ha! Still to comply ;)

FrenchGardenHouse

Vicki, like you, I tend to make a home wherever I go. I am not like some of my friends, who adore fluttering from place to place, event to event, and love being surrounded by masses of people. I adore my home. I love to entertain there, and am always the first to suggest friends gather at our home. But I also love nothing more than a day spent at home, by the fire in winter or in the garden in summer. Home, it really is where my heart is.

The Enchanted Home

I am so with you! I love being home, in my 30’s I had to be out all the time,something was wrong if I was home:) In my 40’s a bit less so- and now being 50 I can’t get enough of being home! I love it and it is indeed my happy place, in a world that is very frightening and unpredictable. Take care Vicki!

Perhaps it is an age thing, Tina… but I think I was always a home body.. and yes.. a happy place.. :)

Kris

I prefer to stay home especially with all the crazy shootings and random terrorist acts going on
I am more situationally aware when out in public as a form of self defense so it edits where and when I go somewhere

Lori Roth

Home is my comfort and safe haven. Each time I walk through the doors I feel encircled with a peacefulness and calm greeting. My home is filled with memories that I hold dearly. The same can be said for every home we have established through the years. Our vacation home is the same – I nest wherever I land. Interior design is my profession. I embrace beauty and integrate family treasures.
This time of year lends itself to nesting for the fall and winter seasons. As Dorothy from Thr Wizard of Oz said “There’s no place like home – there’s no place like home!’

J

I feel the same as you do about home! It is a wonderful place to be. I like your comment that you “have finally grown up” since you now don’t make changes all the time…that makes me feel good; better than thinking I have become lazy, or worse, as I have “matured.”

Vicki Ford

Hi there, I was always in awe of your courage to leave Oz and call Provence, which is irresistable and beautiful, your place of home. Are you thinking of parting ways with Provence?

I don’t think I could ever part ways with Provence, Vicki… but I love London too.. so I am torn sometimes.. The beauty is they are not too far apart… :)

Vicki Ford

Ps, I adore those Eileen knit dresses, they capture the essence of the ‘big sigh, I’m at home, lets potter and relax’ moment!

Our French Oasis

I adore my home, there is little better than a wonderful meal with the family and friends with fresh food from the potager. Personally I always prefer it to going out even if it means a ton of washing up! (I just put the dishwasher on twice!!)

Maria Sorrell

So well said Vicki. Finally, not nerdy to stay home & love every minute of it. I live in Melbourne & have two homes that I love for different reasons. I love travel but there’s no place like home. I have been a perfectionist for too long (perhaps a little OCD) & people often make fun, but like you as I’ve got older am becoming a little better, particularly when family & friends are with us.

Suzanne

We just returned from our vacation where our “home” was Le Petit Bijou. If beauty can be palpable, this is where we experienced it. Le Petit Bijou is not only exquisite, it is comfortable and welcoming. Vicki, your idea of home incorporates more than design elements. Your awareness of others’ needs (and fantasies, too!) is evident in the little luxuries: scented candles and soaps, fresh linens and towels, potted orchids, sparkling surfaces, jars of local candy, and lists of personal favorite markets all contribute to the celebration of life. If your guests feel like royalty and family at the same time, as we did, that’s magic. I love “home”, too – and today with renewed spirit, I collected from my gardens hydrangea blossoms and a second cutting of lavender. I’ll fill baskets with these papery panicles and fragrant stems and enjoy them – even though I’m not in St Remy.

Thank you so much Suzanne… we are so, so happy you had a wonderful time .. :)
It is such a pleasure to welcome you … Enjoy your garden… xv

Agree with Suzanne, your LPB is an absolute delight. It felt like a second home to us too when we stayed there a few years ago.
Because of my husband’s work (he was a diplomat – as I went on to become as well) we spent much of our life living in different places in the world. Always travelling. But each place we lived I tried to make a home as well. Now we’re retired we enjoy living in our own home with our little garden and roses. It’s not special, except to us, and overfilled with things that have been important in our lives – so will never feature in any glossy. But we’re happy here. Because of our previous work life though we became addicted to travel and still do so for a couple of months a year at least. I also find myself bringing back things I loved from places we adore – like Paris, Provence, the Riviera, Venice (eg a Murano mirror and chandelier, glasses) etc and lots of books. Books are everywhere, in every room. Also paintings. My miniature icon collection and other religious art – one in particular I love – an angel fishing with a village behind him in the distance, bought in a Dordogne village but comes from the school of Cuzco in Latin America. My little collection of small handpainted (mostly Limoges) china boxes. My Astier de Villatte collection. Etc, etc!
Good luck with finding the perfect home in London to work your magic on! Best wishes, Pamela

Darina

What a lovely article! I love to be at home, to read my books, watch movies, restyling the rooms, cooking, it’s a good place!

Kaaren Eastwood

I couldn’t agree more Vicki! I love my home and sometimes feel I don’t want to face the drive to Brisbane or the Gold Coast both only 20 minutes away! Loved this article and every reply ypou have received so far! Home is the place to be!

Rhonda

Love this article its sooo me! I have also learnt to not try to be perfect but to let things evolve and enjoy. We travel often between Melbourne and Italy and are now purchasing a holiday home in the south of Italy so we now look forward to the renovation and making another home away from home. Home is such a good place to be.