3 Oct 2016

The Healthy Fat Diet

The healthy Fat Diet on vickiarcher.com

Eating more fat? Sounds delicious.

The catch is not all fats are healthy.

The answer is to know the fats that are good for us, eat more of those and lose the fats that aren’t so fabulous.

Lily gave me 5 compelling reasons why we need to eat healthier fats and as I love most of them I don’t need much of a push.

For years, fat has been painted as the villain when it comes to our health. However, science now shows that there are a whole host of benefits by increasing our healthy fat consumption.

Healthy fats consist of oily fish, unsalted nuts and seeds, avocado and cold-pressed virgin oils.

5 Reasons For Healthy Fat

• 1. Healthy fats may prevent energy dips and can keep hunger at bay

Fat balances blood sugar by slowing the rate at which sugar from food enters the blood stream. This prevents blood sugar and energy crashes, and results in fewer cravings for sugary ‘quick fixes’.

Fat has the added bonus of keeping us fuller for longer.

• 2. Healthy fats can reduce inflammation and improve heart health

This is especially true when it comes to the omega-3 fats, founds in oily fish, flax seeds, chia seeds and walnuts. Their potent anti-inflammatory effects can work wonders for those suffering from inflammatory conditions such as Rheumatoid arthritis and other conditions associated with pain.

Omega 3 fats can also help reduce inflammation within blood vessels, lower tryglycerides and increase our heart protective HDL cholesterol, all of which are key indicators of a healthy heart.

• 3. Healthy fats boost metabolism and stimulate fat burning

This is because omega 3 fats can direct sugar to be stored in muscle and liver cells as glycogen, rather than being store as fat. This glycogen can then go on to be used as fuel by the body.

Healthy fats can also lower levels of our fat storage insulin, which allows fat be shed more easily.

• 4. Healthy fats boost memory, mood and concentration

Did you know that the human brain is nearly 60% fat? Healthy fats are one of the most crucial molecules that determine your brain’s integrity and ability to perform.

To improve concentration, memory and boost mood, ensure you consume at least 2-3 portions of oily fish a week.

• 5. Healthy fats can make your skin glow

Healthy fats are an integral part of cell membranes, it is the cell membrane which influences the cell’s ability to hold water.

Our skin is made up of a very large number of cells, therefore a nice healthy cell membrane leads to more supple, softer and more wrinkle free skin.

the healthy fat diet, lily soutter

Lily Soutter is a Nutritionist & Nutritional Therapist

Learn more about Lily @lilysoutternutrition.com

images, artist chloe wise

I believe.

I eat a lot of olive oil, almonds, and for a while there was eating so many walnuts, but I need to get back to adding them to my diet. The latter are wonderful for keeping everything from your skin in good shape to keeping blood fats at good levels. Thank you Vicki; you have something for everyone!

I’ve done a lot of reading in this area, and the story of how fat was villainized is a long and interesting story. If you are interested, I recommend Gary Taubes’ Why We Get Fat and Michael Moss’s Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. Based on my reading, I threw out every bit of trans fats (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) in the cupboards. I actually use organic lard to make pie crusts and biscuits, and to fry fish. No, it is not the villain it was painted to be. Low fat dairy products are the worst: they take out fat, but add sugar. Otherwise there would be no taste. Added sugar is much worse for you. Humans were not made to metabolize as much as they are eating now.

Linda B

I am pretty well read on this topic–and have been following most of these guidelines for years. (I don’t eat enough fish because we have a hard time getting truly fresh fish at a reasonable price point where I live, far from the ocean.) But I love having all the information I can get on healthy eating–and you’ve got some new pieces for me here, for which I am grateful! One completely new piece: I had no idea that our brains are almost 60% fat–so fascinating!

Currently I am recovering from a bad bicycle accident 22 days ago. I suffered a concussion and broken elbow, pelvis, and bruised or fractured ribs. I have been maybe too careful to not overdo fat in this recovery time–worried that my current complete dearth of exercise will be the circumstances for my weight to rise all too easily. But I am now wondering if I need more fat to help both my brain and bone-healing….My acupuncturist recommended bone broth to me a few days ago. That may have some fat in it I suppose!

So sorry about your accident, Linda… I am sure some “healthy” fat will aid your recovery and help you feel better.
Good luck getting back into it and wishing you a speedy recovery :)

Linda H.

Linda B
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Yes, bone broth is wonderful for a lot of things. I notice my hair and nails health is so much better when I make bone broth part of my routine. Something in the collagen produced during cooking those bones for hours is very healing and i would think good for you recovery too. I make beef bone broth and there are many recipes on Pinterest for it. It’s so easy too. I do not however consume the little fat that accumulates. Something about beef fat repels me :)

My question for you is which brand of fish oil brand do you recommend? I hear so many conflicting opinions on the pureness of fish oil and I don’t trust the advertisements. I give plain old store brand fish oil to my old Bearded Collie. You should see his coat!

Anyway whatever info anyone has on fish oil brands and what they know is appreciated. Picking up my flax seed oil today at the grocers. That one’s easy.

Linda H.

Thanks so much Vicky for the link. I don’t have a problem with most vitamins/probiotics etc but when it comes to fish oil I’m a little baffled.

Mona Turner

Vicki, my Grandmother lived to 96 years of age following a natural food diet which included healthy fats. I’ve always been a firm believer and follower of this wise advice. My Grandmother had the most beautiful, soft skin. She also wore a dress, stockings and heels every day. She would have loved your daily blog!

Fran

All true, but I think genetics also play a very big part. I know a couple people who have eaten prosciutto and cheese with a glass of wine for breakfast and both are in their late eighties. Another, eats and cooks with speck and cheese everyday and she’s 92…..none of those are considered good fats, but yet these people are slim, happy and have way more life in them than I…..I’ll take that bagel bag sandwich above for lunch today!

Dianne

I have been of all carbs with the exception of low carb vegetables and 1 cup of berries daily. Also eat moderate portions of protein and lots of healthy fats. Although I ate well, giving up the grains have put back to my proper weight in a few short months. My body and mind are more agile. Years ago I read the book – Sugar Blues and because of that, was never too indulgent with sweets. It’s a great read.