11 Aug 2017

Bronze, Bronzed And Bronzer: The How To

How To Bronze on vickiarcher.com

Bronzer and I have a love/hate relationship.

It’s 50/50 whether we can make it out together.

Sometimes a dab or two of ‘sun kissed magic’ can do wonders and at other times, I can look as if I have had a mud bath. It’s a tough product to apply but when worn well, it is genius.

I don’t want the sun on my face, but I do if you see what I mean. It’s still meant to be summer so the idea of looking healthy and tanned is appealing but on the other hand I don’t want my face in the sun.

Bronzer is the solution so the trick is to learn how to use it.

I have been practising and this weekend I am going to try and work the tricks of my new found talent. xv

How to Bronze

The right shade is the crucial factor.

A bronzer should only be 2-3 shades darker than your skin tone. Don’t go for anything too dark or too strong, as it won’t look natural and avoid any orange-based bronzer.

Use a matte bronzer.

If you have skin imperfections as any shimmer will highlight the problems.

Apply a translucent setting powder first.

Ensure any moisturiser or foundation has had time to dry and settle into the skin before applying. If the skin feels damp or is oily, the bronzer will look patchy and streaky.

Apply with a big brush; a small brush will leave streaks.

Apply the bronzer in the places the sun would naturally hit your face. Work in the shape of a 3 on each side of your face, starting at the temples, sweeping under the cheekbone and then down along the jawline. Start with a little and build up gradually, aim for a ‘sun kissed glow’.

Remember, with bronzer less is always more.

The Best Of The Bronze

nars bronzing powder   ||  guerlain terracotta sun tonic bronzing powder  ||  nars bronzing brush

image jean shrimpton by irving penn

Funny the way these things flip-flop. Before the Industrial Revolution, pale skin was sought after, because it signified you were wealthy enough not to have to work in the fields. Post-revolution, however, pale skin signified that you were stuck working in a factory, whereas tan skin implied that you could laze around at the beach. Although when I was a teen, I tried to get as dark as possible, now I embrace my naturally pale skin. I only wish I did so when I was younger, but really, I made so many faux pas in my youth… where to begin? I don’t use bronzer, because I have seen what the sun does to people who have always gotten a tan and now are old. Their skin is leathery and wrinkled. Whenever I see a young person with a tan, I imagine how they are going to look when they are older. I think fake tans and bronzers just perpetuate the myth that “tan is better”.

i am only interested in a light healthy glow too.. but I do find a flash of bronzer highlights and rather than look like a dark suntan looks like natural… Of course fake tan is a whole other story :)

Angela De Marco Manzi

I think all the chemicals in the bronzers have to be just as bad as sitting in the sun for hours. No thanks, I am going with nature.

candice

I got over the need to bronze lol
I am a blonde blue eyed girl who tans nicely and gets freckles which used to be cute but now- not so much.
I loved going to the beaches and lying there and getting a tan.
Then one day I had this dry patch on my leg that would not go away … thus my adventures in skin cancer began.
I have had 3 skin cancer surgeries. Tiny scars .. to remind me of how lucky I was to see a dermatologist and that they were not melanomas….
I don’t care if I look tanned or not .. I will be white and natural and healthy and happy.

Suzie

~ I can so relate with Candice ….moving from England to Australia when I was 30 ,( with what my husband called a peaches & cream skin ) the beach & outdoor life proved irresistible ~ now skin cancers are popping up all over the place ..I wish I had listened ” to cover ” up ! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Margaret

Living in Australia and working for a Dermatologist, I am 100% compliant in my application of SPF 50+. The best and only skincare that Dermatologists recommend to look after your skin. However I am pale and a little bit of Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing powder does the trick. The new way to apply it is HORIZONTAL across your cheek bones and over your nose and then just a bit on the chin to balance and you can put it horizontally across the top of your brows. This is extremely flattering and if you place it close to under your eyes across your face, it decreases dark circles as well. As always, less or more. Try the new “Horizontal” way of applying as compared to the typical old “C” way, and I think you and your readers will be surprised with the outcome.
Love Margaret

Good morning, Vicki!

Yeah, I don’t want the sun on my face for several reasons that are obvious, but one reason is that due to menopause, I’ve developed these brown spots that are hideous. So I wear a very wide-brim hat to protect my rather fair complexion. I would really have to have a professional show me how to apply such a product; I’ve never worn any kind of face makeup, either powder or cream!

Sam Hoffer

Vicki, I agree that a bit of sun-kissed magic can do wonders. For a bit of color I blend a very tiny bit of bronzer into my foundation and that seems to work for me.
Sam

Tessa

Now that my face is no longer allowed exposure to sun, I have to say I’ve become a little addicted to my bronzer. I agree, the bigger the brush the better. A feather like sweep is all that’s needed. My favorite blusher is Urban Decay Flushed in Strip. There’s a little champagne, a little peachy blush and then a light bronzer and I just sweep across the whole palette. I think that’s the key to not looking like Georgette Hamilton ;)