28 Oct 2017

It Is Cashmere Weather Here

It Is Cashmere Weather Here on vickiarcher.com

Cashmere cosy is how I am feeling.

I am in Provence and the weather is chilly with a touch of the Mistral blowing. The sun might be shining but there is most definitely a sign of months to come. I don’t mind one bit – the thought of open fires and snuggly evenings in front of an open fire is an appealing one.

I have arrived here with all the wrong gear. To be precise, no cashmere and it is very much a cashmere weekend. If you are travelling here shortly don’t forget to pack one or two. They will work very well with your velvet essentials.

Rounding up the cashmere is where I have been for the last few hours. There is one favourite I stock up on every year from Uniqlo and it is the men’s V-neck. I like the cut so much more than the woman’s version. The “v” is higher, the fullness better and the finishing band snugger. The sweaters look much the same, the colours pretty identical but try it; I think you will agree.

In terms of size, I like my sweaters a little roomy, take one size down from your normal comfort zone. Women’s cashmere sweaters, I usually take one size up from my normal fit. Colour wise – I’m sticking with the greys and blacks but adding a little blush pink this season – some call it minx, which I find quite enchanting. A little minx never hurt anyone ;)

The classic shades work in well with the khaki puffer style coats I live in, the velvets and the more formal wear when required. The other colour, which I love – and cannot decide if it loves me – is chartreuse. Is it flattering with the grey hair, perhaps? I know, a total breakaway but one I hope could work.

Is there ever a better outfit than jeans, good cashmere and a pair of comfy boots?

Apart from the essential cashmere, there is one sweater I’m seriously ready for. I wish I could conjure it up here in Provence, right now.

This one would work beautifully with velvet pants. xv

Cashmere Cosy

ruffle sleeve v neck  ||  uniqlo v  ||  classic v  ||  classic turtleneck  || classic crewneck  || weekday sweater  ||  minx turtleneck

p.s

how to look after your best cashmere

• *wash by hand
  • * use a baby shampoo or a specialist cashmere shampoo
  • * float in lukewarm water and leave to soak for 5 minutes – don’t wring or scrub
  • *remove excess water by pressing against the side of the tub
  • *dry flat on a towel with plenty of room to guard the shape

image, deavita

Candice

I am in North Florida and it is downright chilly here too ! I don’t think it is cashmere chilly though and I do miss that.

FrenchGardenHouse

Cashmere season is my favorite time of year! Despite an unseasonal heat wave, our temperatures are going down, and like you, I can’t wait to don my favorite cashmere sweaters and sit in the living room in front of the fire. Happy weekend, Vicki! xo

Sunflower

I love a V neck jumper Vicki, they are so flattering and can be kept simplistic with a unfussy necklace or a lovely scarf. Blush pink is a perfect accessory colour I think as it goes so well with grey, navy and black – good staples for any wardrobe. I’ve been on the look out for a cashmere scarf in blush pink but don’t want a very long one that is too much around my neck but more a slimmer version. I’m still looking!!
As for the reddish jumper – love it! Go for it as it will compliment your hair too.

GEORGINA

Hi Vicki
I have just found Uniqlo and bought 2 Merino wool jumpers in navy and black. I am astounded at the high quality of the sweaters for the price paid – just beautiful!
I have 2 boyfriend cardigans, 2 button up cardigans and a v neck jumper all in cashmere and was looking for another v neck in a ‘colour’ so will certainly look at Uniqlo now.
Love your blog – so well presented.

Oooo… I’ll have to check them out. I actually prefer merino to cashmere because it pills less and seems to last longer, and with no detriment to its ability to keep one warm and stylish.

Husband likes the Uniqlo linen shirts in dark solid colours (navy, black, dark green or dark tan) or stripes. We just shopped up big with heaps of them during our week in Sydney for birthdays, grandparents days etc – he particularly likes the casual neckline without the full collar for casual wear. We always miss their cashmere pullovers – by the time we’re in Paris and visiting their Marais store it’s summer there and mostly when we visit the store in Sydney it’s summer as well. We both prefer to buy in store rather than on the net so, sadly, we can’t get them. He did enjoy Bompard in the Maris though for cashmere, it’s quite close to Uniqlo and they have some lovely colours. Best wishes, Pamela

Rita

Hello Vicki. Love both your books and look forward to your daily blog. Thanks for advice how to care for cashmere. Will definitely get some from uniglo and sit and peruse through your books on a wintry day and dream.

What a great place to be when the air is icy cold: PROVENCE. Dearest Vicki, enjoy your beautiful Provençal mas, and wrap up in your cashmere! I saw the most gorgeous pink cashmere sweater yesterday…