9 Apr 2009

The Barometer Says Rain Ahead

I have always had a thing for French barometers and their clock like faces, hand painted to reveal the weather conditions.
Storms, heavy rain, mixed showers or a beautiful day – it is all I really need to know about the weather.
Barometers, or the old fashioned ones at least, are generally so much more decorative than the weather man on the television.
I know that he is a font of information when it comes to highs and lows moving across the country, weather maps, graphics and radar – but for someone unscientific like me it is enough to take a glance each day at our barometer.
I vote for pretty every time and prefer to leave the serious stuff to the experts, xv.

Lee

Your post takes me back to my childhood when we had a barometer hanging on the wall in our dining area. Not a day went by without one of us looking at the information on the barometer. I had forgotten all about it until reading your post – I think my older brother has it now (I must ask him). Makes me want to hang a barometer in my own home. They’re beautiful to look at and they serve such a practical purpose too. Lee :)

The Pink Poodle

dear Vicki…
I could do with that barometer here in melbourne..

no rain…still a drought..

MAYBE this gorgeous piece could send a lovely spell of rain over lovely OLD melbourne town!!
have a lovely easter spell vicki..

xx andrea

Paris Atelier

Vicki, Pretty and useful. I love the idea of using a barometer instead of the weatherman. I have never seen one in person, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled now.
Best Wishes,
Judith~

A-M

Vicki, it’s beautiful and just perfect for our rainy Easter here in Brisbane. There were people sitting under towels in the rain on our beaches today! Silly Southerners! Happy Easter! A-M xx

Things That Inspire

Ever since I ‘discovered’ French barometers last month, I have been looking for one to purchase. Unfortunately, the antique ones cost a small fortune here in Atlanta! The top antique stores in town have a few beautiful, beautiful models. This one is stunning too.

Debra

Pretty almost always wins over practicality for me! I have my late Father’s barometer, however it isn’t very accurate~ but good looking, so it’s made the cut!

mary

I also love French barometers-the more French, detailed and gilded, the better. But I don’t need one in So.California–always (almost) sunny. Which means that whether the barometer works (or not) is not important–it’s the case that matters! Thank you.

Dzintra Ingrid

And what a gorgeous Barometer you have there Vicki…beats the Weather Man hands down I reckon!!!
Wishing you and your family a lovely Easter break…and of course lots of lovely chocolate ♥x

home before dark

My husband says he wishes he had a job like the weatherman who is almost always wrong and never gets fired! I agree about the pretty. My mother-in-law collected all kinds of clocks for their cases & faces and didn't give a hoot about accuracy. When she was alive there would be clocks chiming somewhere all over the house. Of the clocks we inherited, we set them a 6 p.m. and don't wind them. Time for a glass of wine without reverberations.

YSLGuy

We had bad rain on MOnday. I hope we dont have anymore soon.

The barometer is cool.

I guess we must remember that April Showers bring May Flowers!

A Gift Wrapped Life

Of course you prefer your barometer, look how gorgeous it is!
What a beautiful piece, I enjoy the things you focus your attention on….have a rain-free weekend, we all need a nice weekend
weather-wise for a change
XO

willow

Oh, this is a GOR-geous barometer. I am now officially in barometer envy. If there wasn’t such a thing, there sure is now!

Callie Grayson

they do have such a charming look about them.
i should place one in my home, if the paper work goes through and I close at the end of the month.
one would be perfect! love the gilding

Ms. K

I’ve actually never seen a French barometer and this one is beautiful. I love the first description on the bottom left: Tempete! Do they have French barometers for the French?! A lovely weekend and Easter to you!
Kirsten

Millie

Such a beautiful piece Vicki, it’s not often something practical is so stunning. Now can you please work on making my microwave/washing machine/ refrigerator as gorgeous as this!
Millie ^_^

Cote de Texas

my bucket list. for sure. the one thing i obsess for. they are just soooo expensive here – the beautiful 18th or 19th century ones from France – and are there any other kind? i will get it one day. i just need a good job to make a huge commission on first!!!!