22 Oct 2010

Bistro Du Paradou

We all have a well loved local restaurant; a restaurant that we frequent for all sorts of reasons at different times of the year.
I often ask my friends in Provence this question, “If you could eat at any restaurant in our area, which one would it be?”
The answer is more often than not, Le Bistro du Paradou. It is charming, full of ambience and family run with a set menu across the week that is both enticing and comfortably familiar.

I should wax lyrical about the succulent roast chicken, the melt in the mouth lamb or the heavenly Provencal style minestrone with pesto,  soupe au pistou, but I am fast tracking through this feast to the cheeses and the deserts.

Le Bistro du Paradou serves some irresistible cheeses.

A massive platter of every kind of hard and soft cheese is passed around the restaurant after the main course – there is no point trying to abstain, it is too hard to out-stare that platter and resist.

The deserts are good home-made French favourites….think Creme Brulee, Creme Caramel, Rhum Baba, Tarte aux fruit-of-the-season.

At Le Bistro du ParadouI can’t wait to devour every sweet morsel.

Le Bistro du Paradouis the restaurant to eat in when you don’t want to feel like you are eating in a restaurant; it is the home cooked meal without having to cook… xv

Le Bistro du Paradou

57 avenue de la Valee des Baux
Le Paradou, France
+33 4 90 54 32 70
(reservations required)

mary

Hi Vicki–my senses are all alive with your description. I feel like I ned to book a trip to Provence to fill my soul; I can almost smell what it is like just walking into this bistro. Have a wonderful week-end.

My Carolina Kitchen

Le Bistro du Paradou is one of our favorites as well as one of Patricia Wells' favorites.

I did a post a while back about our lunch there when we were staying in nearby in Saint Remy. Owners Jean-Louis and his wife Mirelle made us feel very much at home and the food was out of this world. Highly recommended for a leisurely lunch.
Sam

joanny

Love your photo, great angle and coloring. Appealing and inviting in its rustic simplicity.

I still don't get it –how do 'French' women and now 'Aussie' women stay so slender with all that luscious and delicious food – just the cheeses, olives, bread and wine, would do me in. SIGH!

Have a delicious and divine week end.

Cheers,
Joanny

Olive and Branch for the home

Love Bistro du Paradou and go often when we are home in Provence – we can walk there! Jean Louis has oftentimes pulled my boys aside and showed them the autographed pictures of Les Bleus, Zidane and the gang! We watched the wedding party of Jean Reno gather there a few years back and… Oh and the food is wonderful, too!

Shell Sherree

Sounds very cosy and inviting ~ and good to know I need to leave room for the cheese platter! Thank you for the heads up, Vicki. Wishing you a tasty weekend!

jojo

Thanks for the memories Vicki – we also loved Bistrot du Paradou and still talk about "that" cheese plate !!
Enjoy your weekend – it's starting to warm up in Perth …

Millie

Le Bistro du Paradou's Creme Brulee for entree, main & afters for me thanks! And it would be worth all the 'Ces femmes que Aussie sont étranges! comments from the locals.
Millie ^_^

Mary

Dear Vicky,
We bought a house in St Remy 2 years ago.Then I bought your beautifull boook A French Life which has become part of our furniture and must be top of the list for re -read books. It has given us a greater appreciation of St Remy and it's beautifull surroundings.Looking forward to reading French Essence so much.My husband is often heard to say Vicky said said this and Vicky said that.On a serious note thank you for sharing your experiences and having such joyous insights on that is wonderfull about St Remy and the surroundings areas. M.R. Dublin.

Gini

Loved Le Bistrot du Paradou! Soupe au Pistou, lovely roasted lamb served with a delicate mound of potato puree and a finely diced ratatouille, followed by a lovey creme brulee. A simply fabulous luncheon! Well worth the time and cost for a superb meal. Mireille is an amazing chef! The ambience is extraordinary too, very cozy and welcoming. Highly recommend this bistrot!

Nanci

ahhh…we stayed in a villa outside St. Remy this past June. I wish we had known of this restaurant – sounds fabulous. I so would love to go back there. sigh….

Nanci

Ahhh…we rented a villa for a week in St. Remy. I so wish we had known of this restaurant…sounds delightful. Oh how I wish I could go back there. Sigh!