29 Aug 2013

What Makes A Home, A Home

I think what makes a home… a home… are the little things.. the details… the collectables.

Those bits that we know and love.

Those pieces that are familiar… that we look at and that remind us of happy times and different adventures.

The fragments that make up the whole. xv

Ann

Those are really lovely things.
I think what makes a home home first and foremost are the family and loved ones that makes us feel welcome and thankful that we have a home to come home too.
And of course, the familiar things that we miss when we are away from home…

Oh, I agree. And the RIGHT details, not in excess, but with BREATHING ROOM, as far as I see it. LOVELY MY DEAR…Anita

Jeanne McKay Hartmann

Love all your homey snaps! I couldn’t agree more. Home is in the details. I look around at the bits and pieces of our life and each object tells a little story if I take time to listen. Thanks for the reminder. XO

mary

Hi Vicki, So true, but the most important ingredient is abiding love, forgiveness, an open heart and joy. All of which you have plenty of.
Mary

Gigi

Three things struck me as I looked through the shots in this post: 1) I have been taking the same kind of shots around my home for a blog post this week–I love that coincidence. 2) These details are absolutely beautiful, Vicki! Your home has just the right blend of natural textures and colors combined with sparkle and elegance. And 3) I was amazed that a few of our detail shots are almost identical! The keys and the pine cones especially so! How wonderful. I’ll be posting mine soon–hopefully today or tomorrow.

I’m in love with your door handles . . . and that crystal knob! Does it top a bed or a newel post? I can’t quite tell. Either way it is gorgeous! xo Gigi

Cathy

When our mom passed away in 2010, my three sisters and I had the enormously emotional task of dividing my mom’ s bits that she knew and loved. Together my parent’s collectibles told a lifetime of stories but separated into 4 piles of their nearly empty home, it all looked like bubble wrapped “stuff”. When we all returned to our own homes and unpacked mom’s treasures and found new places for them, they took on new meaning for each of us. Juxtaposed and eclectic I display a pair of ivory Japanese figurines from my great aunt’s mid century teaching stint in the Orient next to pieces of my mom’s English tea set. These are of course next to things my own family has collected over the years. I move everything around from time to time so things won’t seem too posed or so that I can enjoy them from another perspective. My home has it’s own story – with a bit of help from family fragments.

Joyce

Love the crystal on the iron newel post. Such a lovely detail.

I’ve been meaning to thank you Vicki for your “Travelling to Provence” series. We spent two weeks in the south of France last month and your advice was so helpful. After a week based in Nice, we rented a stone house just outside of St. Remy de Provence and got to experience many of the places you write about in your blog. Such a beautiful area. But what’s with French drivers? They become maniacs behind the wheel.

La Contessa

I have to agree!If you saw my HOME you would understand why I AGREE!I have plenty of stuff!But wonderful worn,gold gilded,rusted stuff!I’m trying to collect CHANDELIERS!French of course!The husband wants to know where on earth we are going to put another!No worries I can find a spot!Stuff makes a home as you say it all has a story or a memory.I love my home especially after being away for two weeks I have come home to appreciate it even MORE!

Veronica Roth

Lovely collection of snaps. It’s so true. Each time I move from England to Vancouver and back again I go around re-discovering the houses and my things. Knowing those familiar things are there makes my homecomings so much easier.

Karena

I agree Vicki, it is the little collections of our travels and special touches we love whenever we see them!! The glass knob, lavender essence, the works of art, linens and fabrics that make our own hearts sing!!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kathy Peck Leeds

Couldn’t agree more. Everyone on the blogospere seems to be intent on “de-cluttering”. Refreshing to read this.

Garden, Home and Party

Vicki,
I couldn’t agree more. It seems the little bits and bobs are the pieces with the best stories tied to them. An outing here, a vacation there. The layers and history make me smile and I see the hominess and happiness in other people’s homes when they share their accessories.
xo,
Karen

Hallie

Divine Vicki, and an aha yes, it’s little details that stay with us, the curve of a sconce, the decorative element at the end of the stair, a book cover, a pretty trim on the edge of a pillow. Years ago when my children were little we dined every other night at this little restauarant on the corniche and they had a dainty provencal print which alternated on the chairs between red and green, and so did the edging. It was delightful and homey, and when I see a provencal print like that it reminds me of that happy summer seemingly so many years ago.

Mary Jo

Beautiful photos Vicki! I have been rearranging my home a lot lately, doing a small re-model, etc. It seems to be in the air and it makes everything feel so much more comfortable when you tweak it just a bit. So love your aesthetic!
xo Mary Jo

Louise Percy

My home is filled with bits and pieces collected since I moved into my first “home” when I was 18…an eclectic, but life affirming mix, I must say…my adult children shake their heads whenever I return from one of my trips to France…But it is their visits which make my house feel like a home…thanks for this lovely post Vicki.

mary timmers

I love this post! It’s YOUR home and the things that make it so. Has me looking around for things that say “my home”. Thanks Vicki, for a very inspiring post!

Love,
Mary

Bette @ Ideezine

Vicki,

We don’t realize what makes our house “our home” until we take photo’s, have to move, or lose items in a fire or flood. To really see our fingerprints as clues to who we are and how we display “ourselves” to others. Our bits and pieces speak in whisper tones for us.

Just beautiful montage Vicki! Specially love the clock. And your reflection in the mirror at the beginning is so drole and charmant. Best wishes, Pamela

pve

ah what makes a home…the kitchen door of my childhood home where my parents still live shows all the signs of life…scratches from the dog that has been long gone. layers of paint over time, fingerprints, smudges and love inside and out. like a heart, it keeps on beating, open, close, open.
the door says it all.
pve

Michele Abrate

These are the things I come to France for. Love to shop in the boutiques and brocantes for the personal items. Shop on the site French Vintage Home for many of the perfect accessories.

Irina

How positively lovely, dear Vicki! So much inspiration and beauty here…and how fun to see a little glimpse of you too! :)
xoxo

Bonjour Vicki! I missed your prior post; LA RENTRÉE starts next week so this week is all teacher meetings! I wish you a FANTASTIC TRIP TO AFRICA! Anita

Rena

Don’t know you in person but your beautiful collection says a lot of your personality who show to me a very likeable feminine women.

Garden, Home and Party

Vicki,
So true. I’m one of those people that love some of the bits and bobs picked up along life’s path. I rotate items with the seasons and that enhances the enjoyment for me. I love some of the “bit and bobs” you’ve shared.
Karen

Greet Lefèvre

You are so right Vicki!! The details are so important! These little things make our home!! Gorgeous pictures!
xx
Greet
PS I wish you a wonderful time in Africa!!!

Esther George

Hi Vicki first of all I love your reflection in the mirror and the rest of your beautiful photographs. For me what makes a home are the people in it, family photos, flowers, some collectibles with stories and lots of candles. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Billie makes a home

Hi Vicki
A gorgeous blog article and a beautiful blog you have created.
I recently did an article on designing using French style as inspiration in our guest bedroom –
I’ve love you to drop by my blog and let me know what you think.
I’ll certainly be back to visit your blog soon!
Billie

Fiona

Well, if your treasures reflect your personality I am in trouble – I love old, softened preloved things, mostly country with a lot of red thrown in. On the up side though people do feel comfortable sitting amongst my “stuff”. Minimalism CAN be cold and gives little away about the people living there – there is nothing to give clues. With my lived in decor there is always something to set conversation going.

Mumbai

Find this blog in my email today I noted that we are in contact since 3 yrs
already….how is time speeding?