22 Jan 2015

Dolce & Gabbana, Their Nonnas And Why Age Is Irrelevant To Fashion

Dolce & Gabbana Campaign, Nonna, Vicki Archer

Dolce & Gabbana obviously love their nonnas.

Why wouldn’t you? They look totally adorable.

In the fashion and beauty world of late there has been a great push to feature older women in campaigns. The 50+ not the 15+.

How refreshing to finally have some real faces, with character, wisdom and expression. What a breath of fresh air to see bodies that don’t look like they belong to an alien planet.

I realised, that as women who have reached a certain stage in years and where life is suddenly more flexible, how lucky we are.

The world is ours for the taking. Time is on our side, we have more of it and we are living longer.

If the fashion and beauty industry get it, then so must we.

I don’t ever want to fill my head with age-ist nonsense or feel less able, or less attractive because I have seen 50.

It is a priviledge and an advantage. Those of us who have are in exactly the right place at the right time.

Is that suitable for someone of my age?

What does that mean? That expression has to go.

Limits should be set with sense, with knowledge and with self-confidence. Age no longer defines what is in and what is out.

We are in.

If Dolce & Gabbana believe that the matriachs of the family are the ones to tell the fashion story, there has to be something in that. If Céline celebrates one of the finest writers of the past half century, Joan Didion, as their muse then perceptions are changing and in the right way.

Is intelligence and life experience the 2015 role model? It will be mine.

Finding the self-confidence to embrace our middle years isn’t always easy but once found, the rest is easy. Looking after ourselves physically, mentally and emotionally should be top priority. Staying abreast of what is happening, studying the trends and excercising our awareness are the ways to remain agile and flexible.

Look at those beautiful nonnas accessorised in red, living and laughing with flair.  Do we look at their facial lines or their less than tight jawlines, their greying hair? No.

All I see is joy, lives well lived and some rock star handbags and seriously cool hair accessories.

Bring on the tiara,that’s how I want to age… xv

ps

if you are lucky enough to be the right size, some dolce & gabbana pieces are on sale

flared tweed dress  //  stretch wool midi dress  //  printed silk skirt  //  embellished jacquard jacket

and a little extra divine extravagance to put a tap in the toes

Loree

Dear Vicki, thank you for this. Perfect timing. I turned 44 today and there are days when I feel low in the spirits because I am not in my 20s anymore. But this post just made me realise that we can continue to be ourselves right do to vintage age.

Heather in Arles

Loree, you are such a true beauty – inside and out! – that age cannot touch you. Nonetheless, wishing you a very, very Happy Birthday in Malte…
Gros Bisous!
H

Pam@over50feeling40

We are in, Vicki!! And I think retailers and designers get that more and more every day. It is such an exciting time of life…why not say that with our own style! Love the photo…precious!

Yes, we are Pam.. :)
Finally the fashion designers and retailers are understanding that we are also the drivers of fashion.

Stephanie Anderson

ADORABLE! It is only been in recent years (I am 62) that I have with confidence been able to accept the aging process. And guess what? Finally, I accept each and every line as part of my journey; part of my life story. Believe me I am not “gorgeous” but I am happy because I have learned that life is really my story to make and tell. It doesn’t hurt that I have been married to a “great man” for 38 years and four ” cherished children” to share my life with! If I look as happy as those ADORABLE DIVAS at their age my life will have been well lived! As always Vicki you bring sunshine into my morning coffee! Thank you!

Imagine if our life stories were not recognisable… how sad that would be… And yes, we have one chance and we must make it tell the story we want… :) thank you Stefanie…

Angela Muller

The French and Asians have always respected age and experience. I’m happy to see that fashion has developed a more inclusive attitude. Now, if only the American workplace could learn the value of “time” and experience! I volunteer for an animal rescue….we come together from all backgrounds and ages to serve a common cause. As we laugh, and sometimes, cry together, I am never reminded that in some instances I’m thirty years older than others. Vive la difference!

Yes, exactly… a mix of ages where we can all play to our strengths is the best of all… :)

jean louise lilly

Just turned 50 in December, the first of my “tribe”. Fortunately, I am asked by many 40 something’s the secret to why I look younger than them. Having lost my mom when she was just 46, I feel 100% lucky to be 50. It reiterates the old saying, ” Feeling comfortable in your own skin is naturally appealing”. Include the double whammy of also having Vitiligo, it can be difficult to embrace aging…but I would not chose the alternative. J’adore your blog!

Kathy

You had me laughing with you with your… look like aliens… remark. How true! It’s down right frightful. Well, I’m passed mid-life, unless I live to be 122. That expression makes me chuckle too. When I see how many people my age and younger with real problems I’m so grateful to being the life I have. All things come to a close and you can’t beat the clock no matter what plastic surgery or designer outfit you have on. These are very independent women that everyone should educate their daughters to become. Not merely some consumer for a vain shallow life.

Independance in every way is by far the most desirable quality… Thank you Kathy, you have given me an idea, I need to add this topic to my series on the best kept beauty secrets… :)

Karena

Vicki I feel like it is finally our place in history where women of a certain age are celebrated and honored. More than ever!
xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Katherine

All you need to do is look at the multi billion dollar cosmetic industry to understand why {especially as women} we believe that younger is better. We’ve been led to the water and drink generously. But people are living longer and companies are shifting gears to send the message that maybe we are acceptable after all.
I love this Nonna image. If you really think about it these ladies likely wore headpieces and carried little bags like this many years ago. Fashion is forever repeating.

Nothing is ever new, is it.. SO true about the cosmetic industry… maybe “older” will become the word du jour!

Mary

I’m definitely in – and always have been I guess! Age has never bothered me. Now, having reached 71, and the fact I’m still kicking – albeit a bit more slowly thanks to some bits feeling their age – I plan to keep going, hopeful that some fabulous clothes and a red lipstick will be noticed before the wrinkles and age spots, haha!!!!
That said, I’m off to shop for a new bag, and perhaps a tiara!
Hugs – Mary

Holly

Dear Vicki, thank you for reminding us that true beauty is what emanates from our souls. And though we love fashion and makeup … it is after all ~ just window dressing. What a beautiful post this morning both inside and out.

Mine too… and I probbly could have ranted on for ages… but I think we are all on the same page in any case… :)

Anna

i loved seeing the beautiful Nonnas, mine died at 106, one of the most influential people to anyone who knew her, style she had…not only in dress but her values. Until the very end her mind was sharp ( although her tongue became softer), she prayed, read, and listened to her favorite music every day. I still miss being able to call her for advice of any kind. BTW we always laughed that she was the only grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother who’s children wanted to borrow her clothes! (And sometimes we looked almost as well in them!)

What a lovely story Anna, how incredible to be as sharp and relevant at 106! Here is hoping… :)

Wendi

I am heading into my last year of my 50’s….cannot believe it actually but there it is! I have looked after my skin from a very early age (12 I think), eat everything and enjoy a glass of wine, exercise (Pilates) and am in better physical shape than ever. Wear whatever I feel like and am told that I look fabulous and not my age. Have never done the Botox thing and in fact, on Boxing Day, I binge watched “The GodFather Parts 1, 2 & 3” and the thing that struck me was that the actors actually had EXPRESSIONS & CHARACTER! Ladies and Gentlemen, stop that now…you’re not fooling anyone. Those lines are well-earned and tell the story of your life! You cannot be 60+ and have skin that is taunt…embrace it and love yourself! Thanks Vicky – great post! I feel Fabulous Dahling :)

Great advice, Wendi… and isn’t a movie binge the best! I am going to go for the Godfather trilogy next chance I get… Thank you… :)

Sabrina Brown

I love how these women look !!! They are regal and stately and mature….I would certainly take orders from them. Until lately I’ve only had Ruth Gorden as a model to grow into, (and I adore her). Thank you for showing this to us, Vicki.

Sabrina

Me too… and I forgot to say in the post that I adored the nonnas wearing all black with red accents… until I find my rose tiara I am keeping that red lipstick well and truly refreshed!

Heather in Arles

I have read a lot about those Nonnas but I really loved your piece – you pushed away a lot of the meaningless verbiage (it has been so very easy to see when those articles were written by PYTs) to get to the heart of it. Thank you, as always, for the inspiration…you are walking proof of what you write…now if only I could persuade you to publish a “selfie” in your leather Pixies! I know, I know, “not going to happen…” ;)

Ha Ha… one day! They are almost worn out, I wear them every day… need a new look if I am going into the selfie business… ;)

Lorraine

FINALLY!!!!! Isn’t it fabulous?! There is so much more personality in someone who has life experience, and it shows in these Nonna’s faces. As you have talked about in some of your previous posts, knowing and choosing the right fashion for us as individuals is what fashion and beauty is all about. And NOT saying to ourselves that something isn’t for us just because we are a certain age is something we should all do! I am 46 and I have just enrolled in the Fashion Design course that I should have done when I first left school. We are living longer and our working lives are longer too so I figure I still have another 30 working years to fill in! I am excited, and it’s great that others are really starting to observe the ‘age’ trend too!!

Enjoy the course, Lorraine, I know you will… and that is so the point, we have so may years to live fulfilling and interesting lives… there is no time to wait… :)

Segreto Secrers

I am in love with this image of Dolce and Gabbana’s Nonna’s!!! Inspiring in every way!
xo. Leslie
Segreto Finishes

I agree Leslie… it’s the impression that the image makes that is so wonderul… The feelings that it evokes.. :)

Lynne B.

I love that photo. I’m 66 this year and love fashion and style just as much as I did in my twenties.
I go for simple and classic. I’m in Australia and so enjoy your emails, even though the seasons are the opposite. We are in the middle of summer and its very hot.

And it has just really become freezing here, Lynne… so forgiv em if I start talking about coats again!!

Joanne Day

Love this piece Vicki – so relevant to me.
I am 53 and had my first and only child at 42 (career came first for me – family later).
My beautiful 10 year old daughter fills me with delight and every day is a blessing (I know I look and feel younger than most of the younger Mums at school – it’s not a competition but I do so love my life and it shows). Love those red handbags (but my daughter will want one too!)

Nancie Bartley

I had my last child – a girl- at 42 also and all my friends and my kid’s friends say I look much younger than my age. Maybe that’s the true secret, staying around younger people! Keeps your attitude young. At 59, I laugh as my clothes walk out the door to high school. Just last week my daughter posted on Twitter : thank goodness mom is cute so I can steal her clothes.
Hey! With that kind of ego boost, I may stay “young” forever. With a tiara!

I love the commentary the most… for me, that’s the best if I feel we have all engaged together… I wish I could somehow get a live chat going here… :)

Judith

Thanks so much for recognizing the value of age, and hopefully wisdom. It is so often overlooked or looked down upon. I often remember the quote “Youth is wasted on the young” and think of how much wiser I am now (though older) and wish that if I were to become young and fresh again, I would have the hard earned wisdom as well.
On another note, I’m not sure how the “Daily Click” fits in with your regular blog, but I loved today’s “Click” about 12 hours in Paris. Impossible to complete within 12 hours, but great fun to peruse.

My Daily Click is just a little something to capture the interest each day, that requires nothing more than a browse and that will hopefully make you smile.. :) The content is anything I feel like sharing on a daily basis… and no rhyme nor reason… :)
I loved the Paris in 12 hours too…

Dorrie Jacosbon

As an 80 year old fashionista, and newly launched fashion blogger for Senior Style Bible (http://instagram.com/seniorstylebible/) I applaud the fashion industry for beginning to use 50+ models in their ad campaigns. But where is the glamour? I don’t think campaigns for Dolce (above), Celine (Joan Didion) or Saint Laurent (Joni Mitchell) are presenting older women in a sexy or glamorous way…because we can still be attractive into our 80s, but we aren’t being portrayed that way. Yes, these women are icons, but they have been styled and photographed in a very understated, unglamorous, almost dour way. Where’s the joy? I want to see ads where mature women look pretty! Like the campaign Jessica Lang did for Marc Jacobs and Iris Apfel for MAC. They look stylish and radiant. I think we are aging differently now. We are working longer, remaining more active and working hard to stay fit and attractive…..the fashion and beauty industries need to recognize that and start inspiring us with images that are aspirational. I don’t aspire to look like the women in that ad. I’m 80, single, wear skinny jeans and date on Match.com, so I can’t relate to this kind of “Grandmother Chic.”

Congratulations on your blog Dorrie and I think we all aspire to look differently as we age. The common thread is that we can look as we want and age has nothing to do with it.

I think the Nonnas are beutiful in ther way, not dour, and represent the lives that they have lived… it’s less about the clothes and more about who they are. I admire Dolce & Gabbana for forsaking the slim and sexy .. :)

And yes, I’ll never give up my skinnies either… :)

Oh, I thought so; my comments didn’t go through! I came here the day you posted but I immediately saw that they were gobbled up!

I totally agree that beauty and “youth” if you will, are an internal, on-going process. And though these ladies are totally beautiful on the outside, you can see an inner energy that keeps radiating. What an inspiration. Have a great day, Vicki! Anita

I found you!
I don’t know why this ended in the wrong folder… anyway, I missed you! xv

Marian from UK

Finally!! Your blog is right on time! Woke up this morning and discovered I’m 64!!! I’ve just read about L’Oreal using Helen Mirren as their new face. She is nearly 70 and looks fabulous. She has lines and wrinkles like the rest of us, she doesn’t have a perfect figure, but boy is she glamorous! Her love of life shows in her eyes and her smile. She has not always looked as good and has got better with age if you look back – as we all do I think. Our confidence improves and we finally get it right – make up, fashion style. We realise we don’t have to compete, but just be our natural selves (with a little artistry if we want and why not?!). I think the fashion industry have realised that the ‘silver pound’ (or dollar or euro!) is not something to be ignored. Our generation is still fashion conscious and lively and wanting to continue to enjoy life and have new experiences as long as we can. And they want a part of it! Well thank goodness! To any of you who are feeling a bit down because 40 or 50 is behind you, I say stop. This is it! YOUR life! Embrace your experience and go out and grab your future. Do something new, learn something new, have a go, there’s no such thing as failure – just experience. Phew! Sorry about that but I felt so strongly about this age thing and your post was perfect. Thank you Vicki – let’s make 2015 the year of mature & beautiful women everywhere!

shaun

This was a Wonderful post. I had to share it and you blog with my friends and family. I love your poetic view of life, and enjoy my daily clicks with you.

Shaun Wolchinsky
Beauty by SW

Shane

Yea for the Nonnas Vicki!
Bring those beautiful faces out of the shadows.
Not a blank canvas but faces full of life – strong, with character and emotion, faces mapped with laughter and full of love.
Tiaras and little jewelled bags – YES!

Paris Rendez-Vous and Beyond

Yes, Vicki I too believe ‘age’ is irrelevant to living a fulfilling and beautiful life.

It’s all about your ‘self’ really…..balancing your personal self, your family self and your community self. And being ‘true’ to your self too.

Once you’ve got that nailed….you’re there. Must admit though…I’m still a work in progress! But I’m working at it!

Ciao

R

Celia Becker @ After Orange County

Thank you so much for this post! I needed some help, encouragement and validation that growing older is not only acceptable in modern society but that it can be embraced with dignity. In May I will be “reaching” a certain milestone birthday. Notice I didn’t say I’d be “celebrating” because I am still working hard at acknowledging the fact that I will, in fact, be middle aged. Accepting the perks that go along with maturity is what I know I need to embrace, instead of trying to hold on to fleeting youth.

Chrysanthemum

I love my age… And my abilities to do so much… And keep active… And my genes…still have auburn hair at 66. Thanks to the gene pool from Heit and Mem…even though you left us years ago, but then you were 89…..
I’m finding, I don’t need the expensive clothes to define me….just the clothes that make me feel good…

Sue McCarney

I did something the other day and I was ashamed..my daughter posted a photo of me cradling my newest grandson. An adorable photo, but I commented on facebook….look at this adorable baby, and look at my wrinkles…oh to have the skin of a newborn!! I deleted my silly comment….of course I have wrinkles, I’m 62!!! I must say I was a shocked when I saw myself in that photo….lines where there never were….creases around my chest and neck that seemed to have grown deeper!….but…62 years well lived and well loved. How lucky am I??? Who cares about skin,….. taut and new or soft and sagging….live the life you’re meant to live, in the skin you are blessed with!!!