1 Jun 2015

Spring in Somerset House, London

lunch at spring restaurant in somerset house, london

Spring in London, always a fabulous idea.

Last week I had the pleasure to enjoy a girls’ lunch at Spring in Somerset House.

Why are long lazy lunches with girlfriends the best fun of all?

I think it is the camaraderie and the ability to chat about the big and the small ad infinitum. We don’t have to think about whether a subject is too dull or not engaging enough; we can unburden ourselves in a way that only really works with our mates. Girls generally have heaps in common and whether it is about work or fashion and children, their joys and disasters, there is so much to share.

Plus, there is so much laughing.

lunch at spring restaurant in somerset house, londonlunch at spring restaurant in somerset house, london

Back to Spring.

Somerset House is a spectacular venue in any season (winter, when the ice skaters are scooting around against such a backdrop, is my favourite) and it is home to Skye Gyngell’s new restaurant Spring.

Spring had me with the decor. Yes, it is feminine and that is what I loved. It is brave. The softness against the strength of a location such as Somerset House. Skye’s sister, Briony Fitzgerald designed the space and her choices are impecccable.

The atmosphere is relaxed.

That is the beauty of the location, an oasis of calm and tranquillity inside and yet a glance outwards and the restaurant could only be London.

lunch at spring restaurant in somerset house, london

Skye’s food is my kind of food. I am not even going to tell you about the bread or the ice-creams.

If you ever dined at Petersham Nurseries in Richmond, you know what I mean.

I can’t categorise her influences and her style of cooking; enough to say that her combination of flavours are just to my liking. There is a set menu, 2 or 3 courses and this is my recommendation for the best value.

London wouldn’t be London without a visit to Somerset House.

A morning at the Courtauld, a rendezvous with Renoir and a lunch at Spring; call me and I’ll join you… xv

Spring

Somerset House, New Wing

Lancaster Place

London WC2R 1LA

+44 (0) 207 3011 0115

images spring restaurant, somerset house, 30’s magazine

Wendy

Somerset House looks lovely. I hope to get there on my next trip to London. Petersham however, is one of my favorite places for lunch and inspiration not to mention the lovely products they offer.

Somerset House is so wonderful… even just to wander the courtyard…
and Petersham Nurseries…** sigh**

Oh Vicki, this is such a glorious collection of photos! I am always running into beautiful spots here in town to photograph, but there are too many people and “white noise” that doesn’t allow for this perfect and important element of photography: Staging!

This seems like the perfect place to enjoy the refreshment and relaxation that spring naturally delivers in such a city. Gorgeous and uplifting, as always. LOVE! Anita

Looking forward to having lunch there with hubby in early July. Just as well I booked before we left home in late April as can imagine it will book up quickly after people read your post. Have always loved Somerset House. Best wishes, Pamela

Kim

Hi Vicki
I’ll tell my daughter to visit Sommerset House, she is living in London.
Thoroughly enjoying the spring weather, just back from Brighton, and misses the ocean. Living on the coast her whole life.
London life is expansive, so much to do… It’s vibrant with life..
Kim.

Paris Rendez-Vous and Beyond

Oh Vicki….this sounds like an amazing lunch. I’ve had this restaurant on my list for some time….so when I next visit London I’ll certainly be heading to “Spring”.

Skye’s cooking is fabulous….I’ve cooked a number of her recipes….’flavour’ is her forté!! And I believe that “Egg”, that fabulous London fashion boutique designed the uniforms for the staff. “Egg” is another favourite of mine….gorgeous easy fashion!

I love Somerset House too….especially beautiful at Christmas time with all the ice skating….and, of course, Somerset House hosts very special art/design exhibitions. A truly wonderful spot in London!

Ciao