13 Aug 2015

Julie Delpy: What A Beautiful Face

julie delpy french actress featured on vicki archer

When I saw this portrait of Julie Delpy at the Chanel spring/ summer prêt-à-porter I immediately thought, what a beautiful face.

Her natural look, messy hair and neutral eyes with red lips, was refreshing in a world of over beautified celebrities. Some may say she is too natural, too carefree in her look but I found her quite lovely.

I think we all angst over how natural we should be; we all search for that balance between ageing gracefully and looking our elegant best. It is a tough act to perfect and some find it less challenging than others. The more confidence we have in our inner selves, the easier it is.

Sometimes it is easier said than done.

Julie Delpy and her unaffected look has me thinking about the interventions available for beauty enhancement. How much we do and how far we go? I don’t know the secret to her natural beauty but she has found her equilibrium. I hope she stays that way.

The mid 40’s are wonderful years beauty wise. Signs of age that allow the wisdom of maturity but not so great that we feel surprised when we look in the mirror. Often I forget I am mastering my 50’s and still think of myself as an ageless and fearless young woman. A quick look in the magnifying mirror to apply my make-up dispels that idyll and I fall with a thump back into reality.

Know what I mean?

So the never-ending conundrum of how far is too far when it comes to beauty?

I don’t have the answers and nor do I hold judgement. There are bits I would love to tweak and there are other signs of ageing that I can live with. We all have our foibles; it is a personal approach and one that only we can decide.

I have been reading about the “new dimension” wrinkle fillers.

Not the permanent go-to-the-dermatologist kind but those that can be applied each morning or for special occasions. The use of texture and light reflecting properties, a “spackle and filler” idea, works to smooth out the creases.

I haven’t used these wrinkle fillers but I am told there are a couple that make a significant difference. In the name of research, I am trying them out. xv

estee lauder new dimension expert liquid tape // elizabeth arden prevage anti-aging deep wrinkle smoother

julie delpy, getty images

At 59, I still don’t think of myself as old, although I don’t think of myself as young either. I prefer the word timeless when describing my age. Thanks to good genes, never smoking, oily skin, and sunscreen, I can look in the mirror barefaced and think that I look younger than most women my age. That is not to say that I don’t see things that I would like to improve: the too-thin eyebrows that I overplucked as a teenager… the acne scars… the jawline that is a little less firm than it used to be. And don’t even get me started on the grey roots that appear every three weeks, necessitating frequent coloring. (Going grey is off the table. I get horribly depressed whenever I look in the mirror and see grey.)

I don’t really angst over the whole “aging gracefully” versus “taking drastic measures” conundrum. Like you, there are things I tweak (my hair color, wearing makeup every day, exercising) because to let myself go in that area would depress me. There are other things I let be, like my skin, because I have a mistrust of elective medical procedures. We must all do what is in keeping with our true selves.

I like your line ” we must all do what is in keeping with our true selves” Mimi… :)

Another amazing topic to start my day, THINKING.

I am 57, and like you, I often forget that I am 57….I feel 27. But first, on Julie Delpy: She is radiant. I remember her perfect complexion in the movie WHITE. Her face was like an empty canvas of white linen, with the glorious lips and soft eyes as the foreground. She still has that same loveliness, and truly like a fine oil painting, just the right amount of PATINA has graced her surface. But she is still that wonderful canvas of art.

The red lips – I am sold on them as my arsenal of beauty tips. I’ve said before that my own mother was my only role model for beauty, and she always wore her red lips, letting her unmade-up green eyes do the talking.

But the conversation deepens….where do we draw the line on enhancing that beauty? I don’t know the answer for everyone, only for myself. I still believe to this day that experimentation with small, affordable enhancements (make-up, color choice for clothing) are the best thing to keep Mother Nature’s schedule on our outer self in rhythm with our happiness. Julie Delpy’s gorgeous inner beauty is able to radiate gently through a minimum of make-up and enhancements. No stretched skin here – no nips and tucks from what I can see….only a few tints of red and brown to bring out her eyes, and the rest is Julie Delpy, inside and out.

OH the conversations here, SUPER!

Now that I am home in London and back in city mode… the first thing I reached for this morning was my red lipstick… Julie Delpy’s lovely portrait did inspire… :)

Antonina

I have always thought she was beautiful ( and unusual and quirky too, which added to her beauty) but somehow her face looks more magnificent now. The red lipstick is a lovely shade and looks fabulous on her . Thanks for posting this- very inspiring !

I agree Antonina, she is so refreshing in her look… and the red is exactly the right touch…

Back in London now, Vicki? And I will be back in school next week, with red lipstick at the ready. You know, one middle school student last year, when she found out I was actually of Spanish descent said, “I thought you were French, Madame!” I asked her why she thought that. She said, “Because you wear red lipstick!” That was so sweet.

CARRY ON in style and grace! Anita

Katherine

I think the best results are with a combination of taking care of ourselves early, both inside and out. Having small and subtle procedures (like injectable fillers) early, rather than waiting until our sagging jowls are at a place of no return. I don’t see myself ever having a full/partial facial lift, however – fillers skillfully tucked in is on my list.
My sister and I are only 16 months apart in age, but there is a considerable difference in our skin because she smoked for years and didn’t embrace a good skincare routine. It’s never too early (or late) to work on ‘feeling better to look better’.

Feeling better automatically makes us look better… so true, Katherine… I’m thankful I never really smoked… I don’t neeed that disaster and the Australian sun… one was quite enough… ;)

Agree magnifying mirrors are truly horrifying things. Would rather not see!
Loved the Three Colours Trilogy – my favourite was Blue with Juliet Binoche. Such a brilliant actress – and luminous! Julie Delpy was beautiful too in White – but it was more difficult to relate to the role she played.
Cheers, Pamela

I loved those films too, Pamela… it’s time for a re-watch… Juliette Binoche, I agree was outstanding in Bleu. I also still adore the English Patient.. a bit by the by but one of her great roles too… :)

Absolument, elle est formidable! Et j’adore the English Patient aussi!
I liked Rouge as well – and the casting of the two main characters.
Such an interesting trilogy – and the way Kieslowski interpreted and played with the colours of the French flag and the Motto of the French Republic: LIBERTY in Trois Couleurs – Bleu, EQUALITY in Blanc and FRATERNITY in Rouge. They’re amongst my most favourite films. Encore, cordialement, Pamela

Holly

Thank you Vicki for your inspiring post this morning. I am 58 and having the same conversation with myself. Your take is refreshing and validating of my own thoughts. I purchased
‘la fascinante’ and wore it during the day on a recent trip to New York. Complete strangers commented on my eyes. How lovely is that.
Still feeling 22,
Holly

“La Fascinante” is my very favourite and I always feel well dressed when I wear it.. the perfect lift!

Libby Day

I have been doing a series of blog posts on the aging woman. There are indeed so many inspiring women who seem to have learned the secret. I hope to be one of them as I will be 71 in a few months. Mary Kay cosmetics has a new wrinkle filler that I find works very well. Would love to sent you a tube to try and evaluate.

Susie Linton

Vicki, it is so wonderful to know that so many of us are “on the same page” and thank you for your enlightening thoughts !!
At 60, I feel 30. And love life …Except when I look in the mirror to apply my daily routine and gasp, horror, there are those those magnified crevices, courtesy of the sadly necessary magnifying glasses!!! Why do I get a shock every time ?!
I’m sure Mother Nature or whoever, designed our eyesight to fade gently as the wrinkles develop, because when I look in the mirror without the dreaded glasses I look fabulous !!!! xox

FrenchGardenHouse

Vicki, I love the radiant beautiful face Julie Delpy shows the world. She is indeed beautiful. Unlike many others who get plastic surgery and would sell their soul to remain looking young. I went to a wedding recently where I saw a (younger than me, I’m 60) woman I hadn’t seen in a few years, I actually wasn’t sure it was who I thought it was, and had to look on the seating chart to make sure! She had so much plastic surgery done, awful.

To age gracefully is a gift. A gift to ourselves, and our daughters and granddaughters. It tells the world we are enough, just the way we are. I use a wonderful Chanel cream everyday to pull up wrinkles by my mouth, I do love that. But other than that, I love being this age.

I am so appreciative of my health and well being that I whole heartedly agree with you.
Within reason is always a good mantra along with contentment. That’s the true gift of beauty.

Karena

She is beautiful! Her look is one I am going more for these days. Less on the eyes and a bright lip. Personally I love to see smile lines and a little crinkle. Having lived in Southern California so many years I have seen way too many enhancements that have gone wrong or just cosmetic surgery junkies!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Nicoletta Belletti

The idea of an addiction to surgery, especially for procedures that are not essential, is frightening.
Crinkle is a great word, Karena… :)

Angela Muller

Vicki,
You’re back in London! Well, then, as far as I’m concerned you are in the spa capital of the world. Back in the day, on my first trip to London for work, I arose one morning, washed my face and could not believe the texture of my skin…almost poreless and radiant. And, it stayed that way as long as I was using the water that came out of the bathroom sink in my London hotel. Once back in the States, a return to lackluster skin that needed creams, makeup, blush, etc. On every subsequent trip to England, the same miracle happened…what is in that water!!! I’ve even thought of bottling it. I’m 69, feel great, take care of myself, have friends of all ages, am not searching for love, affirmation, validation, or the past…confident because of what life has taught me, the good and the difficult. I still color my hair (a drag, but I feel better when I can see a remnant of my reddish brown), use serum, tinted moisturizer with spf 50, mascara, light blush, soft gloss, and a smile…less really is more if you know how and where to apply it! Now, if only I could move to London!

I heading to the tap as I write… ;)

I am not sure about the miracle of London water… I don’t often drink it straight as it is fairly flavoursome… and not necessarily in a good way… :)
But I shall take heed of what you say and cleanse more etc… As much as I adore Provence it is very tough on the skin…

Linda B

This post is perfect timing for me–just two days before my 58th birthday, which for some reason is hitting me hard. So much of what you said here, Vicki, and also all who have added comments, really resonates with me. I don’t feel “almost 60”. I eat well, exercise almost daily, and am barely grey yet (good genes on that one.) But I do see the effects of gravity starting to have there way with me a little as I look into the mirror–and I never was very confident looking in the mirror to start with, ever.

I love when I feel bold enough to wear red lipstick. Mostly, in the small city I live and particularly in the school I work where being totally natural is seen as a virtue, it feels like too much. (However, I should take a cue from the 30 year old office manager who wears a bright red lip almost daily!) I seem to lack confidence to stand out, but how I wish that were not so!

Maybe I still have time to develop better self-confidence in my life!

You will Linda and don’t try and change the way you feel overnight… take small steps…

Make little manoeuvres that swell your confidence, maybe only you will know of them and gradually they will add up and the bigger changes will not feel so big anymore. For example, start with a slightly deeper natural/blush/warm lipstick shade that is more defining and get used to that one… natural but with a litle bit more… Follow with a deeper pink and then go onwards and upwards with the red… Even wear the red at night… all make-up feels less scary at night… ;)

As for 58.. that’s nothing, you will embrace it and I am sure many of my lovely readers would agree.. :)

Felicity Lock

Hello Vicki,
You are in London in the rain, thunder and lightening – what a shock from the heat of Provence!
Wonderful post today.
Us girls shouldn’t give a jot of time to worrying about age – I’m now 69 and am stopping colouring my hair – brave or stupid – I’ll let you know. Gravity is taking its toll but smiling is the best way to look special.
Can’t believe that the re growth is almost white! Must have had a few shocks in earlier days.
So red lipstick is essential – Dior Addict 865 is fantastic.
Would love to know how you are getting on with your ‘growing out’ – you must be nearly free of tinted hair.
Am drawing like mad – latest one has been shortlisted for the final judging for National Open Art competition so fingers crossed.
Kindest wishes and huge thanks for your wonderful blog.
Felicity

I am still persevering with the grey and most of my highlights are gone… a few inches left at the bottom… which I kind of like… makes me feel I ams till in the game… ;) Some days I love it and others not so much!
It is easier to manage in London without the humidity and I tend to dress up more and wear the red lipstick… which as Heather says, I like…
I am not giving in as yet… actually, I want mine to go whiter!

Michelle

She is indeed lovely, but I gotta say, Ms. Delpy looks much older that 45 to me. From the photo I would have guessed her to be in her late 50’s!

Heather in Arles

Of course you like this look because as soon as I saw the photo of the divine Ms Delpy I thought of you! This is completely your look. Red lips, easy eyes, right down to the confidence. Ok, I have never seen (or you have never let me see!) your hair that curly but I know it exists!!! heehee
This photo kicked my no gray and curly hair to the curb too…

Paige McDaniel

I’ve been using the Chanel skin care line lately and love it. I think it really has softened some of my pesky lines! Love the post and am messing up my hair in a minute…

Amy

What a wonderful conversation! I recently moved from Provence to Normandy, and think my skin is celebrating. For one, the sun is not so punishing here, and 2–makeup is minimal. This is farm country. I wear foundation, a sweep of blush, mascara and a touch of lipstick. I’ve been thinking about using the red lipstick more. I always kept the bright red for the stage. In my former life I was a singer, but maybe it can work. I will talk with my esthetician and see if we can’t come up with a perfect color. A little glamour is always good, right?

Missi

Her makeup is lovely. She also has great bone structure. The key to her look is that while her hair is messy her outfit and makeup are very neat.

Angelique

Laser, laser, laser, IPL and YAK need I say more?
And you don’t even need make up! Ha! And iat 62 it’s really made a big difference. A good skin regime and eye fix by Elizabeth Arden set your eyeshadow all day does not move! Am using nude lip pencil by young bloods, and Loreal infallible eight hour gloss lipstick which does not dry your lips out. Lancôme lip gloss in the center. Chanel eyeliner and Lancome mascara. Origins minerals blush and lots of Estée SPF 50 sunscreen I’m good. Hope this helps.

Teddee Grace

Well, I’m 71 and was always a late bloomer, a blessing that only in the last five years or so seems to be finally dissipating. I have been using Revlon’s Age Defying Wrinkle Remedy Line Filler for about a year on a deepening frown line between my eyebrows and one across the bridge of my nose (what’s that all about?!) and that’s exactly what it is…spackle for the face! It works great and I highly recommend it.

Cynthia

I am sorry Vicki, but she looks decades older than her real age! Which, by the way is 45!!!

She was born in 1969 – the year I graduated from high school. I thought she was in her late fifties, at best, and perhaps much older than that. To give you some perspective, Jennifer Garner is 45, and so is Jennifer Aniston, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lopez, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Gwen Stefani – just to name a few. They all look DECADES younger.

As an experiment, I asked several friends to guess her age and not one of them guessed her to be younger than late 50’s.

Probably many of the ones quoted (not Cate B though I think) have already had work done – and their photographs are almost certainly air brushed. Suspect lots of Americans think the wrinkle-free face is the norm for middle age so are shocked when they see wrinkles on forty plus somethings.
Julie D may be a smoker and so have accelerated and exacerbated the crinkle process – but she still looks wonderful – the lines don’t detract from her beauty. Best wishes, Pamela

Cathy C

Hello Vicki,
I think Julie Delpy is lovely as well. I don’t know that this is the best picture of her in that I think she has that “made up to not look made up” look, however I think she is a tremendous actress and beautiful woman. That said everyone has a different degree of “bien dans sa peau” and like you I don’t judge someone for their own personal journey to get there.
Great post once again…it gets us all talking and thinking!
Cathy

Laura

Julie Delpy looks so lovely. The “messy” hair looks natural and soft. She has just the right amount of make-up on. Enough to enhance her features, but not over done. I think most of us over 50 look younger and healthier when we wear less base and just a touch of shadow or eye pencil.
My favorite is Chanel’s Le Crayon Khol in graphite.

Wendy Shippee

I also think Julia Delpy looks terrific, but I am really loving all the comments from a wonderfully insiteful group of women who are my age. I think these conversations are inspiring and confidence building. Vicki, you have done a wonderful job bringing us all together! Thank you

Felicity Lock

Hear hear Wendy.
This was my first post on Vicki’s blog and it is so rewarding to meet like minds – and we are from all over the world – how special is that!!!
Felicity x

Anna

Hello Vicki,
Enjoying reading this post and everyone’s comments…..I think we need to see more “WOMEN” in the media so that everyone celebrates the journey of life. And the beauty at every plateau. I believe YOUTH has never been more popular in the history of mankind, due to the power of technology…
Julie Deply looks lovely ~ regardless her ‘age’. We hardly hear the same about a man ‘Oh he looks handsome for his age’. Maggie Gyllenhaal is considered too old (she’s 37) to play the love interest opposite the leading male actor who is in his 50s (funny enough, they never mentioned who he was). That’s almost a 15+ age difference. She’s thirty.seven. NOT seventy.seven to his 50+ age! On the flip side, there’s Monica Bellucci, 50. Stunning, sexy, sensuous italian actress. I am looking forward to seeing her in the next James Bond movie. I admired what she said in an interview, when asked how she felt about being the oldest Bond girl in the history of the Bond franchise? Her reply: ‘I am a Bond WOMAN’. Priceless response…no?

lori powell

Vicki….such a timely post. I’ll be 58 next month and I find myself worrying more about death lately than my looks. Am i morbid? I think we are at the age where anything can happen. Several friends my age have been lost over the past couple of years and that makes me think whos next! I too have slightly oily skin which has kept the wrinkles at bay and I color my hair every 3 weeks. I hate the sagging jawline and age spots on my hands…but I’ll take them any day over not being here with my loved ones!! And yes Julie delpy is gorgeous.

Michelle

I say tweak away, as long as the result is just a refreshed and somewhat more youthful version of yourself. All things in moderation.

To me, staying fit and healthy, taking good care of our skin and nurturing our spiritual health are the keys to a youthful appearance. And, I’ve always thought that a defined waistline is a mature woman’s best fashion accessory.

Amelia

Vicki,
Recently started following you and have found myself reading all these women sharing their thoughts (and fears) of aging. Just when you think you are the only one with all these thoughts running through your brain and realize you are not unique. I’m 52 with 3 grand babies already but don’t feel like a grandma. Still want to wear the styles my daughters-in-law like too but maybe not the short dresses they wear. This year more than any I’m leaning to the less is more simply because I think I don’t have as much patience for a longer beauty routine and I’m not so sure all my makeup was making me look any younger. This summer I’ve even avoided blowing out my hair as its too warm (a little hot flash maybe?) as often as possible. Cetaphil gentle face wash and CeraVe PM moisturizer have been my go to for years and very affordable. Thanks to all the wonderful women for sharing, like I’m sitting around a table of my friends!

Amelia