15 Oct 2015

The Can’t-Live-Without Accessory: The Turtleneck

turtleneck weather, photographed by peter lindbergh, vickiarcher.com

The turtleneck is one of those can’t live without accessories.

Whether it is ribbed, oversized or super fine, the turtleneck is the one piece (or two) that I constantly update in the wardrobe.

I often travel wearing one and always have one packed in my suitcase. Waking up and facing what to wear often ends up with the turtleneck.

As an accessory it just works.

The fine slightly fitted turtleneck is my go to.

I need to update mine.

For everyday I like the turtleneck to fit snug and have a little elasticity so that it works under a blazer or coat. I don’t want the fit to be so tight that I can’t wear it on it’s own.

I like the roll of the neck to sit slightly under the chin and the arms to be long on the wrist.

Do you remember Diane Keaton in Something’s Gotta Give?

Her character had a thing for the turtleneck; I got that.

The turtleneck is the one accessory I will wear forever, whether it’s a season’s must have or not. xv

The Can’t Live Without Turtleneck

t by alexander wang  //  vince soft cotton  //  vince skinny rib  //  lauren ralph lauren silk &cotton

p.s

prefer something thicker and oversized? this oscar turtleneck is my favourite.

image peter lindbergh for the pirelli calender

Right! I even found myself wearing a turtleneck this summer on a cool day. My turtleneck with shorts and suede boots. I love that look! Classic and functional, stylish and long-lived, the turtleneck is here to stay!

I so agree. A black cashmere turtleneck is one of the “must haves” in my wardrobe, and I was fortunate to find a very good one on sale at Garnet Hill last year. On the coldest days, I layer it under a cardigan or even under a wrap dress. It can be dressed up or down, and goes with any random piece in my wardrobe. It is definitely the work horse of the winter season.

Susie Martin

Agree totally, though it’s a little warm here now to be thinking turtle necks…and loved that movie! Diane Keatons wardrobe and the house, stunning!

Donna De Luca

I’m with you on this one!…and as Diane Keaton said “I’m a turtleneck kind-of-gal”!
I wear them with jeans, tulle skirts, pencil skirts..a must in the wardrobe… x

Ivy Lane

I just ordered one from Zara. It is more like a tunnel neck and is longer with a flowing hem.. great with leggings and high boots!

xo,

Ivy

Linda

Be careful, however, if you are large-busted! A turtleneck may just draw attention to the fact that you are a little too top heavy! I simply cannot wear one, no matter how fine-gauged or soft or flowy; and then at my age I feel a snug fit is too provocative…. oh gracious. but a fine cashmere V-neck… that is another story…. and then to accessorize the neckline… such opporunities abound.

Dawn Z Bournand

Oh la la, absolutely have to agree! I love my turtlenecks. When I was growing up in Florida, my mother used to laugh at how I would put a turtleneck on the moment the temperature evenly slightly dropped. Now that I live in Paris I get to wear them all the time! Yeah! Thankyou for paying tribute to one of my all time favorite pieces of essential clothing, Vicki. <3

Karena

Vicki, the turtleneck sweater is certainly a staple in my wardrobe, so wonderful for accessorizing and layering!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Heather in Arles

Ok, can I say something? I am sad because the turtleneck has always been my thing for years and years and years…but now since I have gained weight…it just doesn’t look the same. I look like I have a round moon of a face perched on top of it! *sigh* V-necks now look better with a loose scarf draped around but it is not the same. :(

Janet

I’ve always worn them, always have 2 or 3 in my closet, have 2 turtleneck “dickies” for when I don’t want the whole sweater under whatever I’m wearing. They, jeans & leather biker jackets are the 3 fashion items that have made the trip with me from teens to retirement. Kind of cool when you think about it.

lisa thomson-the great escape

I love the look. It’s so easy to throw a jacket over and class up a pair of jeans and boots. My only thought though is since I’m having hot flashes, I feel the turtle neck choking me. Anyone else suffering from hot flashes that are draining and overwhelming? I wore a black short sleeve Michael Kors turtle neck yesterday and had to take it off as soon as I got home. preMeno—gotta love it. :(

Jeanne @ Collage of Life

Black…with just the right give around the neck and not too high and not too low. I pulled mine out this weekend in anticipation of Tahilla…I am SO excited to wear them again. Linen and caftans be gone! Love styling with you Vicki…always feels so good. Just wish I could shop with your too. ;) xx