There are no surprises or quick fixes when it comes to protecting our immune system. If you are like me a little reminder can go a long way to kick starting a healthy new year.
I don’t believe it is an exaggeration to say immune is everything. If our immune system is in top shape then we can deal with most things thrown our way.
5 Ways To Boost The Immune System
- 1. We are what we eat.
- After the indulgence of the holidays adding extra doses of antioxidants through our diet is an immediate boost to the immune system. Balanced diets with plenty of Vitamin C, A, D and E eaten regularly will go a long way to preventing colds and flu. Not to mention iron rich foods and folic acid.
- Stock up on red and blue berries, add a few walnuts and Brazil nuts to the daily diet and there can never be enough leafy greens on the plate. Don’t forget leeks, lettuce and kale as another excellent antioxidant. Apart from the vitamin rich content, green vegetables are a good source of calcium and magnesium. Popeye was smarter than he looked.
- Don’t underestimate the value of orange.
- Sweet potato and carrots are very good sources of A.
- Try some dry baked sweet potato fries with a dusting of paprika; they are seriously delicious.
- Whole grains; forget the white flour, it’s not our friend.
- Drink more green tea and fight any inflammation.
- Beans, beans and more beans. Soybeans, kidney beans, black beans and lentils are calcium, zinc and selenium friendly.
- Fish, steamed or baked and not fried.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are useful to prevent inflammatory disease and to avoid coronary heart disease. More organic sardines, salmon, oysters, mackerel, tuna steak, wild rainbow trout and herring.
- It is very tough to manage enough Omega 3 if you are not a fan of the sea.
- 2. To take or not to take vitamin supplements?
What are your thoughts on this? Do you have particular “vitamin” routines that work well for you and give the required additions to the diet?
Probiotic live bacteria and yeasts would seem to be the right idea. These good bacteria are essential to gut health and a strong immune system.
3. Let’s get physical.
Regular exercise eliminates the toxins, elevates the metabolism and makes the skin glow. We know we need to do more and it is not about finding the time it is about making the time.
4. Sweet dreams.
5. Eliminate stress.
This needs no comment but when all else fails, breathe. xv
images, carmen miranda