8 Nov 2016

Forever In Blue Jeans

Forever In Blue Jeans, vickiarcher.com

Are we forever wearing blue jeans?

Lately, I have been rather neglectful with the blue jeans. I am not exactly sure why. It could be as simple as they have fallen in a mess in the back of the cupboard (dare I admit) or I have become too predictable with the black pants. It is so easy to wear the same piece over and over, especially when it comes to trousers.

I do love my jeans and we are making up.

What I am happy about is jeans have crept up higher in the waist and shortened in leg length. As much as I adopted the low rise, it was a challenge. The whole midriff thing was a difficult one to solve. I am lucky, being short-waisted jeans were never as low as they seemed but still, they had their moments. I hated the feeling of sitting down and worrying my backside would be exposed or my tee shirt might creep up a little too high. I can remember keeping my jacket on rather than risk an indecent exposure.

Forever In Blue Jeans, vickiarcher.com

jeans  //  denim jacket  //  faux fur  //  pump

So a higher waist jean is working wonders.

I’m thinking to myself why I even bothered with a lower rise jean? Fashion is fashion and I am not even going there; I liked them, wanted to play and that was that. I am happy to adapt to the latest and especially when the fashion works in our favour.

Forever In Blue Jeans, vickiarcher.com

Then there is the shorter length and oftentimes slightly wider bottom. I like that.

I find the shorter length looks fabulous with a short boot, a flat or a pump. The little gap, showing the ankles, between the shoe and the jean might not always be the cosiest but it is flattering. Showing a little ankle with a pump is one way to dress up a pair of jeans and get going quickly.

Jeans + Jacket + Pumps is a winning don’t-know-what-to-wear combination.

Forever In Blue Jeans, vickiarcher.com

For the hems, what do you think?

As long as the detail is minor and simple I am happy to wear a “fancier”. My preference is probably still a clean hem or if it is a raw cut, a hem with a minimum of fraying. These are my new favourites; high in the waist, a little front detail, flare in the leg and a plain hem.

Forever In Blue Jeans, vickiarcher.com

How to dress up the blue jean?

I love them worn with the little jean jacket and/or a faux jacket over the top, broken with a tee or a turtleneck underneath. Double denim can look cute if it is accessorised well; if it’s not your thing then the jeans with a simple sweater and coat over the top works just as well.

I am so glad to be back on good terms with the blue jean; how silly of me to forget them. xv

Forever In Blue Jeans

the jean pool

j.crew ‘straight away’  //  frame ‘le original’  // paige ‘colette’  //  kut ‘helena’ denim jacket

over the top

*** eliza j faux leopard  //  alice & olivia montana leopard faux  //  shrimps claude leopard

images of london, pepe jeans 2012

thank you nordstrom for partnering on, ‘forever in blue jeans’

FrenchGardenHouse Antiques

Always a classic, I too am applauding the higher waist jeans. What would we do without them? Our mothers would shudder, but these days jeans can go almost anywhere, even “dressy”. I love wearing a pair of dark jeans with a Chanel jacket, or a sequined t-shirt. Leopard? Well, yes, don’t mind if I do. Jeans take me through my day from hunting down prized antiques for the shop, to lunch with editors, to drinks with friends. All in the same outfit. LOVE denim! Xo Lidy

Yes… I don’t know why I neglected mine so much… they do go everywhere and especially with leopard!

Funny you should post this today. I’m wearing my jeans (black, not blue) to go out and about in, after a long hiatus of only wearing them around the house. I’m just going voting and to the library and drugstore, so a skirt just felt like too much. With the right accessories (red sweater, cowboy boots, statement belt), they look just right.

And I so agree about the low-rise jeans! I hated the look, but it was all that was out there at the time. Since I’m a “tuck-in” kind of girl, my tops would billow over the low-rise, completely negating my waistline. Dreadful. And yes, I love the shorter lengths, too, as I can buy a pair of jeans without making my second stop the tailor to shorten them.

I have a real thing against shortening jeans… I don’t know exactly why, other than they never seem right to me.. so I am with you there Mimi.. :)

CINDY hattersley

I love jeans and I too am so happy that the higher rise is back. I have yet to find my favorite pair. I am too short for the ones you have chosen, but I am on the lookout!!

There are so many to choose from Cindi, I’m sure you will find some great ones :) Try JBrand too..

Cindy, if you have an Anthropologie nearby, you may want to check out their jeans. I, too, am short, but I have always been able to find something that fits and flatters at Anthro. Plus, they can order it in petite for you.

Linda B

My goodness, I hated the low rise jeans. I am very long waisted and they never worked properly for me, though I tried. . . I have a few pairs of high-waisted ones that are just perfect, and I find I am wearing them almost everywhere, dressed up or down. Yay! I adore indigo anything, actually.

They were a tough call..weren’t they? I was lucky, being short in the body made them ok.. but never without a jacket!

I’m wearing a white pair today, with a white sweater. Why not?
Jeans (non-white) are great for travel because they can dress up or down and don’t show dirt.

Deborah Peterson Milne

One of the ‘things’ I dislike about living in a perpetually warm climate, is not being able to wear my faux fur leopard coat. Jeans are so California and I’ve had to learn to love them again. It was not often that I saw a lot of people in Scotland wearing denim. I’m a big fan of a high-waisted pair that the cuffs can be turned way up, allowing that glimpse of ankle with my Chelsea boots. I love the ‘Frame’ jeans you suggested. Thanks for reminding me Vicki that jeans (if worn right) are a o.k.! XOX

Wendi

I love the “Rockstar” jeans at Old Navy. There is a mid-rise that is that happy compromise between (too) low & something that looks like Merkle. I am 5’2″ and the regular length works on me…long enough to tuck nicely in a bootie and enough of a roll-up for flats and pumps. And a big plus is that you don’t have to wear a belt to keep them in place. I often had to do the double-belt thing (belt on the jeans, then the big chunky one on the sweater that went over) which felt so silly.

Trish

I gave up wearing jeans when I was about 50 then started wearing them again at 60! Still wearing them and think they look fine. Love the idea of high waisted jeans. Although it’s much too hot to wear jeans in most parts of Australia in summer. I’ll have to give them up soon and wait until next Autumn to put them on again.

Oh, do I love my jeans. And these stunning photos make me want to never ever give them up. And that faux fur jacket, YES PLEASE! What I love about jeans is the capacity they have to make anyone, young or mature look so carefree and casual or elegant and fun with just the right combination of shoe or jacket or hat. Lovely.