30 Dec 2017

New Year’s Eve: What to Wear?

What To Wear On New Year's Eve on vickiarcher.com

What to wear on New Year’s Eve?

Are you thinking black tie formal wear and 10-inch heels?

Not me.

I don’t celebrate New Year’s Eve in the sense of a glamorous and lavish evening out with a cast of thousands, but prefer a quiet evening with a couple of friends and a mad dash to bed at 12:05. Maybe it is age but I don’t think so. I have found New Year’s Eve an evening that doesn’t live up to expectation.

This year we are staying in the countryside and it will be cosy all the way.

So I am not dressing up in the traditional sense and will reprise one of my Christmas favourites – the sweater dress.

My sweater dress is longer and with a higher neckline than my others (sweater dresses are those never-have-too-many-items), which gives it a new feel. Worn with a large cashmere wrap or cape and a pair of booties, it took me everywhere over our holiday break.

Tomorrow night I won’t have to waste time worrying, “what to wear” as I’m all set. I prefer to spend the last days of this year reflecting on what’s been and planning for what’s ahead.

Let’s welcome the New Year in the way we want to spend it – comfortable, cosy and above all with renewed confidence. xv

What To Wear

don’t refrain

catherine malandrino  ||  signature italian merino wool  ||  treasure and bond maxi ||  crewneck cashmere

worth it

theory mock neck ||  co ruffle wool & cashmere ||  allude cashmere  ||  alice & olivia split sleeve

What am I wearing New Year’s Eve? My pajamas! Being a contrary sort of person, I will undoubtedly be asleep long before midnight as well. However. On New Year’s Day, my husband’s workplace holds a party for their employees and their plus ones, and I will wear my red Boden merino wool sweater-dress. Our temps are way below freezing lately, and it will keep my cozy as well as stylish.

anita rivera

Ahhhh, yes me too, Vicki. At one time, I donned heels and sparkles, a late night-into-the morning courage and the hope of a young woman. Now, I wear what’s comfortable, we are lucky if we can stay up until midnight, and my hope now as a mature woman does not waver- it flickers even brighter. Hope is all we have, faith is all we need, and love is all there is to life and die for. Much love to you now and always. Anita

Lyn

A delicious scallop provencal dinner at home is what appeals to me. We used to go out for a early dinner with my parents and our daughter for many years. We will have those warm memories always.

LA CONTESSA

I am like YOU!NO big party………..in fact NO DINNERS EITHER as I have a big one on 2 of JANUARY for THE ITALIAN as it is his BIRTHDAY!I am in bed by 10 at the latest…………..like to spend the day curled up with a good book!
I cannot stay up to midnight anymore!My husband tells me he is married to a 70 year old!!!!!
I am in MANY WAYS………….not the way I would have thought I would turn out but LIFE and my BODY are NOT in SYINC!
Please pop over to my BLOG for a glimpse into MY LIFE this past month………….
Wishing you THE BEST for 2018!
Was that your SON on the BED with the rest of the family minus ONE?
The SON who told YOU this is it MOM when you found THE HOUSE in FRANCE?
My curiosity has to know!!!!!!!
A KISS to PARIS if you are still there……..which I doubt!
XX

Lynne Savage

I will be wearing new red shorts and navy sleeveless top with white accents and my cute red ballerina flats. Taking grandchildren to see the early seaside fireworks then home to watch the sydney harbour fireworks on tellie, being thankful for what will be a nice cool mid 20s day and the beginning of my 50th wedding anniversary year. Thankful too to live in beautiful peaceful australia.

Deb

Ah yes Vicki- my antipodean New Years’s Eve will be the summer version of yours. Six dear friends will drink fine Champagne and a crisp NZ wine , dine outside under the grapevine- Jamie Oliver’s baked salmon with fresh thyme, dill and lemons picked from the garden, baby new potatoes and a salad. Fairy lights will twinkle and the southern skies will blaze above us with even a view of the space station whizzing by!
I might be in a floaty Camilla caftan and sandals with a cashmere wrap at the ready should it get a bit chilly.
Stay warm and happy New Year!

Catherine Baudet

In Australia it will be an ankle length fine cotton skirt and singlet top, sparkly slides and sparkly earrings and a light cotton wrap just in case the air chills from a sub tropical storm! Dinner will be be friends, but outside, stormy weather permitting, and home in bed well before midnight. What a lovely way to spend New Year’s Eve . Happy New Year Vickie

Janet

PERFECT idea! A string of pearls, pretty heels – you’re set!
Just ordered the Nordstrom black merino sweater dress. Thank you

The Enchanted Home

Hi Vicki wanted to swing by to say hello and wish you a most happy new year. May your 2018 be filled with an abundance of laughter, peace, good health and travel! (hopefully this way so we can see each other in the coming year)!!

Cynthia O'Brien

Dear Vicki,
Wishing you and your family a most lovely year ahead and looking forward to meeting you in person one day. Perhaps when the hotel is open!
Would love to know where this picture of the angel was taken. Thank you and much love,
Cynthia