11 Jan 2018

Beauty Bible: The What, Why, When of Facial Oil

Beauty Bible: The What, Why and How of Facial Oil on vickiarcher.com

Ready, steady go: radiant skin made easy.

You may be reading this thinking you couldn’t think of anything worse.

Oil clogs the skin and is the cause of ghastly breakouts. The sheer thought of adding an oily product to your face, it’s not for you. Despite what you may believe, adding a good facial oil to your skin care routine and using it in the correct way can instead lead you on your way to achieving the radiant, healthy glow that we women desire?

Facial Oils are packed full of nutrient ingredients that help improve the condition of our skin and these include:

*Fatty Acids – great for helping to improve the moisture levels in dehydrated skin

*Minerals – used to replenish, heal and repair problematic skin

*Vitamins – aiding to keep skin retain youthful and bright

Are you ready to glow

Facial Oil: The How-To

1. 1. Use sparingly.

A little goes a long way. As facial oils contain such a large amount of concentrated nutrients, I find that just 2-3 drops in the palm of my hand are enough to cover the whole face.

2. Pat and Absorb.

Give yourself a mini two-minute facial and simply pat the oil into your skin – facial oil will do wonders compared to rubbing or blending a moisturiser. This ensures the oil will penetrate further into the skin and fully work its magic.

3. To Combine is Fine.

You can amplify the effects of facial oils by combining them with other skincare products. Don’t be afraid to use an oil as well as continuing to lock in hydration with moisturisers and targeted serums.

4. Listen to Your Skin.

When thinking about using facial oils, base your application on what you think your skin is needing at the time. For example, you may find that with delicate skin, facial oil flares up sensitivity so maybe consider applying the oil before bed, giving the product a chance to soak up overnight.

Is there anything better than waking up to plump, radiant skin?

Whether you’re a Facial Oil newbie,  slowly breaking down your ‘I’m not sure about oil on my face’ barrier or a pro-hydrater with fountains of knowledge let’s get ready, steady and glow.

Beauty Bible: The Best Of The Facial Oils

sunday riley clarifying face oil  ||  darphin 8 flower nectar  ||  kiehls midnight recovery concentrate  ||  the ordinary rosehip seed oil

*sunday riley is a new one for me – highlyrecommended and favoured by many in the know

‘Blended with 1.5 percent Salicylic Acid, Sunday Riley’s quick-absorbing ‘U.F.O.’ face oil is the key to clear, blemish-free skin. Formulated with purifying Black Cumin Seed Oil, it has a potent blend of Hexylresorcinol and Licorice Root to naturally brighten hyper-pigmentation. Milk Thistle and Cucumber Seed Oil smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Chamomile and Neroli soothe stressed skin.’

*darphin 8 flower nectar is one i will forever come back to, for the fragrance alone

‘Rejuvenating elixir, in the pure tradition of aromatherapy, blends rare and radiance boosting aromatic essences from 8 precious flowers. With an exquisitely feminine, sensual fragrance that could double as a perfume, it is the quintessential holistic beauty care that creates a feeling of overall beauty and well-being while rejuvenating skin’s appearance.’

*kiehl’s does make a difference overnight

‘Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate is a rich and luxurious facial oil designed to be worn at night. Its goals are to enhance your skin’s natural nightly recovery process, restoring tone and radiance by morning thanks to a blend of essential oils and botanicals including lavender oil, evening primrose oil and olive-derived squalane.’

*the ordinary rosehip seed is one I’m definitely trying and the one most talked about right now – as much for its efficacity as the friendly price.

‘100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil is a lightweight, non-greasy facial oil to moisturize and fade signs of sun damage. This oil absorbs quickly into the skin to moisturize without a greasy feel. It also reduces the signs of sun damage to restore an even, radiant tone with regular use.’

By

Maria

I use a few drops of Rosa Mosqueta oil which I blend in my palm with Avene Cicalfate regenerating cream, massaging this on my face every night !

Jean Rowland

Thank you for these suggestions. I have recently discovered Elemis Cellular Recovery Skin Bliss Capsules. They are … bliss!

See, I still find that no matter how little I use, it still makes me oily and causes break-outs. Most women get drier with age; my skin has… normalized. No breakouts… unless I use oils. I use oil to take off my makeup, but wash that off with cleanser. Then rosewater as a toner, followed by a moisturizer. My skin was VERY oily and acne-prone when I was younger, so that must factor in.

Sunflower

I like using an oil and am a Darphin user, and agree their fragrance is exquisite. They have some lovely offers as well and you can receive a small sample if you’re unsure about purchasing an oil.

Dr Katerina Steventon

Dear Vicki, I would like you to try my signature facial oil. A different, luxury texture but without the silicones. Please give me your address if you feel like trying something new. Nice massage techniques that work on vertical lines or directly on your brain. Thank you.

candice

After I wash my face at night and it is all squeaky clean, I dab the tiniest bit of almond oil (L’Occitane) onto my fingers and rub it in to my face. I have extremely dry skin and my face is quite happy lately with the oil. That is one thing I have never had, oily skin .. thus I was spared that blotchy bumpy teen complexion ..

Sue

Thanks for this Vicki – will definitely try the Sunday Riley. I have used her other oils and loved them. A beautician friend put me on to Oskia and the oils are definitely my go-to products at the moment and I am seeing a huge difference in my skin. No longer dull and dry but more supple and plumped than I have seen in a long time. When my husband who doesn’t even notice the result of a $300 hairdresser appointment comments on my skin, I know I am using a pretty amazing product. Try it, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ellen Shook

I have tried all those you mention. Several years ago when I was staying part of the winter in Santa Fe, NM, I noticed a woman working at one of the boutiques at the LaFonda Hotel with beautiful skin, unusual in this very dry desert climate. I asked her what was her secret. She showed me Marula Oil from East Africa. I bought a bottle and have been singing it’s praises ever since. There are several purveyors to be found online, and the last one I tried is a brand called Drunk Elephant. (I know — silly name.) Anyway, she told me to pat it in OVER any other skincare system I was using. It works!

anita rivera

Dear Vicki, I have believed in facial oils since I was about 15 when I started to seriously take care of my skin. I’ve never used any certain brands but I have seen what difference it can make when we apply them sparingly. I will look at the brands you offer here, because they truly can add that healthy glow that shows “health”, the number one ingredient to BEAUTIFUL!

Aesop make a lovely Rose Oil for the face. As well as using it on the skin neat – you can also add just a drop to night cream and mix it in your palm before applying. It’s really lovely. Best wishes, Pamela