11 Jan 2018

The Versatility Of The Black Lace Dress

The Versatility Of The Black Dress on vickiarcher.com

Black lace and Caribean style are not something WE usually pair.

Somehow the black contrast against the rainbow palette is working just fine.

Wherever I travel I pack a black lace dress.

I wear it in exactly the way to suit the destination; lace doesn’t have to be dressed up and saved for a special occasion. I like it worn over a swimming costume or equally with a slip and a pair of trainers for a casual dinner. Slide on a pair of mules for the evening and it’s a go-anywhere-anytime dress.

My daughter, Venetia took these pics and she loved the lace against the solid pink of the cottages. Coincidentally my pink crush extends to the sunglasses. My dress from Zimmerman (this year’s version) is loose fitting and buttoned down the front and it has a detachable slip for when a bathing suit isn’t quite right. Yesterday, I wore it with mules; tomorrow it might be barefoot. It is getting pretty relaxed here.

If you have a black lace dress don’t save it for best – dress it up, dress it down and wear it. xv

What She Wore

not exactly but near enough

zimmerman embroidered ||  eliza j fit and flare  ||  trina turk lattice lace ||  ***lela rose (best buy, size 10 only)  ||  tadashi shoji lace tea length

don’t refrain

french connection orabelle fit and flare  ||  bravo zulu lacy paneled  ||  nsr lace midi  ||  french connection lace shift

Laura

Brilliant! Love the advice to wear a lace dress for more than formal occasions! Better to wear what’s in the closet than have it dormant til styles or weight changes!

Mona Louise

Venetia took a lovely picture of you Vicki! I’m glad you were “brave” and didn’t delete. You inspire me to be “brave”!

c

Thanks for being picture brave. I do know what you mean. My husband has a habit of sending pictures without my editing what gets sent. Yikes! It is nice to see the face behind the posts. It is also great to have a reminder to wear our clothes, have fun with them and don’t put restrictions on them.

Dana

You are a beautiful and accomplished women! Keep the pictures coming! You look happy and relaxed! Enjoy your vacation :)

Suzanne

Hi Vicki~ lace can be a bit tricky, and sometimes dowdy. For the current “lace look”, what’s the recommended lingerie color to wear under a black lace top? Nude? Black?
As for your photo, I love seeing you celebrate a unique style- and the pink!!! It’s definitely a vicarious escape for those of us who live (often snowbound) in winter climates!

I like nude lingerie underneath the black lace for a lighter look… but black is always right :)

Donna De Luca

No need to be “brave”! You look fabulous and your readers are pleased that you did not delete those gorgeous photos!! Enjoy the holiday….
Donna D

Celia

Lovely photo Vicki and excellent advice. I am so glad you are relaxing and enjoying yourself!

Catherine Baudet

I too wish you would post more photos of yourself as it makes fashion and what you are writing about real. I loved seeing the Zimmerman dress- they do beautiful pieces. I think black lace in the heat is an interesting idea that I would not have thought of but will give it a go after reading this. Black is such a strong colour that it can be overbearing in hot climates unless you can show a lot of skin. Lace is the perfect solution.

Sharon

I know what you mean about deleting pictures of self. Usually I just avoid the camera.

I don’t have a black lace dress, but I do have a very, very dark navy. You would have to look twice to see what color it really is.

I hope that you saw the photo of Helen Mirren in her black lace dress at the Golden Globes Award. She looked stunning.

Pauline from Phillip Island

It’s so lovely to see photos of you Vicki. It makes it easier to imagine you speaking to me with your wonderful way with words. I know I don’t comment enough but I always read everything you write. I think I’ll wear my black lace dress today!

Michelle

Wow! That dress works perfectly on you. Chic, sexy AND modest at the same time.

Please note that I used a photo of you to show my stylist as an inspiration when I had my hair cut blunt last week. You are just lovely.

Deborah Peterson Milne

Vicki, you are brilliant & beautiful. People who live in pink houses must be extremely happy! xx