- 1. jennifer behr barette || 2. lulu frost earrings || 3. roxanne assoulin bracelets || 4. malone souliers flats
- 5. beck jewels rose earrings || 6. nicholas kirkwood flats || 7. rose assoulin bracelet || 8. bounkit rose quartz drops
- 9. kiera tote || 10. bibi marini primrose earrings || 11. mara & mine lucky slippers || 12. Smythson Panama Mini
What’s to re-invent?
The little black dress must be the most popular standby outfit of all.
It is in my wardrobe.
Black dresses never seem to be too many and neither do I tire of them. What constantly surprises me is how I can fall in love with so many “different” black dresses. I promise myself to re-invent the lbd in another colour and while navy and the neutrals are good, they aren’t quite the same. They fall into a different category; I love them but they are different. I wear them but not in the same way.
The constancy and reliability of the little black dress got us thinking about the ways we can re-invent them. Why not with colour? Don’t change the dress; change what we wear with it.
We went through the colours that work and decided the obvious is to mix a little gold with the black. That’s a no-brainer, forever and always. I love the nude pinks with black and what about the reds? Whether it’s swapping the black clutch for a red or wearing long ear dangles in the ballet shades – it makes the tried and true lbd look different.
What about stacks of gold bracelets or jewel tones on each wrist?
The only rule I stick to is, more is more when it comes to these types of bracelets. Bracelets can make such a great impact and they are one of the ways we can “save” in our dressing philosophy. When travelling a little black dress is the perfect companion but it can be dull to wear the same dress night after night – throw the colourful accessories in the suitcase and create a new look. Bracelets are one of those “have fun with” accessories and I wear them a lot when I want to make a statement. Funnily its the one accessory I do get many compliments on.
Drop earrings, especially colourful ones, are an easy way to re-invent our lbd. The same can be said for shoes of a different shape and shade. We don’t need to wear black with black and all black with a colourful mule or heel can also change the look right up.
Today I am introducing Moda Operandi, another fabulous online resource to find out the latest and greatest in fashion. Moda Operandi has wonderful editorial articles, they arrange online trunk shows and take pre-orders on those pieces you have seen but don’t know where to buy. Their curating of designers is superb and for special occasion dressing, it’s my first stop.
I needed the inspiration to re-invent an exiting black dress for a dinner I’m attending tomorrow night and that’s how I got enmeshed in their world of colourful accessories.
You’ll get lost, I promise. xv
Style Notes: Re-Inventing The LBD
- jennifer behr barette || lulu frost earrings || roxanne assoulin bracelets || malone souliers flats
- beck jewels rose earrings || nicholas kirkwood flats
- rose assoulin bracelet || bounkit rose quartz drops || kiera tota || bibi marini earrings || mara & mine slippers || smythson panama mini
- Thank you ShopStyle for Sponsoring, “Style Notes; Re-Inventing The Little Black Dress”.
- images, dior archives 1958, howell t. conant, walde huth (1950), jean baptiste mondino