16 Apr 2018

5 Rules For Mastering All Black

Have YOU’VE MASTERED THE ALL-BLACK-LOOK?

All black. A go-to option when deciding on how to dress each morning.

An outfit choice tricky to master yet when you get it right, it is difficult to look back.

The all-black look is forever; it is never going out of style. A fashion choice that is slimming and flattering and one that works well with most skin tones and hair colours.

Monochromatic dressing is reliable and requires less thought than anything else. It becomes a habit to throw on the classic black leather biker jacket and iconic little black dress.

But, have you mastered the all-black when it comes to other dressing styles?

Mastering All-Black:

1. Play with texture and materials

While creating the all-black-look try incorporating varied textures and materials. Often all-black can look one-dimensional; play around with opposing fabrics to ensure the look is not too dull.

* Try adding a black silk blouse with a simple pair of black cotton pants.

2. Consider your silhouette

Wearing all-black can rest heavy on the figure, however, styled correctly it can work wonders. Try varying the fit and tailor of each item to enhance your body shape.

*Work high waisted skinny jeans with a loose turtleneck jumper or wide leg trousers with a fitted blouse.

3. Break it up

Do not be afraid to show skin, and by this, it does not have to mean baring it all.

*Break the monotony by pairing an all-black outfit with open toe shoes, cut hem jeans or a capped sleeved shirt.

4. Play safe

When all-black is difficult to wear; break the rules. If your outfit is wanting more, add a pop of colour with accessories.

*Style your all-black-look with a colourful shoulder bag, a bright pair of mules or a printed scarf. Not to mention a scarlet lipstick.

5. Be bold

Styling an all-black-look is a blank canvas and a perfect excuse to experiment with interesting looks.

*Add a statement with your choice of coat or jacket

Black; it is one we know well. Why change that?

Mastering All Black

blazer up

theory jacket  ||  boss jacket  ||  eileen fisher crepe jacket  ||  iro boucle jacket  ||  st john double weave

underneath

lafayette 148 pleated cuff  ||  vince silk blouse  ||  treasure and bond classic shirt  ||  caroline constas blouse

below

treasure and bond crop jeans  ||  theory wool crop  ||  theory suit pants  ||  eileen fisher ankle pants

images, emmanuelle alt

By

Maggie Hopgood

I LOVE wearing all black!! As a musician, I’m wearing my blacks quite a lot, but I have little tricks to liven it up! Dangly pearl earrings, a luscious red lippie, patent shoes for shine. My violin case is scarlet red, so she sets everything off nicely! Thankyou for this post – black doesn’t mean boring!! Maggie 😘

Mary-Jill

Ha! Maggie! Likewise … all black … so I have a rose gold coloured violin case – and I do have a hot pink chin rest!

Maggie Hopgood

Oh that’s amazing, Mary-Jill!! My case is a Bam, where did you find your rose gold case? Maggie 🎻

Michelle à Détroit

I go to the symphony very often here in Detroit. In addition to their superb musicianship, I always admire the the way the female players add a bit of individual glam and sparkle to their black ensembles.

Melody Bryant

Vicki:
I love this look and admire Emmanuelle Alt’s style. I emulate it when appropriate. However, I have recently been told I am Soft Summer coloring (light brown hair, hazel eyes, cool/neutral skin tone). How do you feel about all black for Summer coloring?

connie

Thank you Vicki for this feature on black! Just re enforced the look that I have been rocking for many years. I just feel always at my best, relaxed and fashionable. Also a look that is quite easy to pull together quickly. The tips you provided are awesome!

LA CONTESSA

THAT IS ALL I SEE and BELIEVE ME Its NOT FASHIONABLE at all what I AM SEEING!
It’s SPRING add color ………makes you smile.
Black and White looks TERRIFIC………..ALL BLACK too DULL for ME!

I’m with you, Contessa! Black on black can look good, and have seen pics of Vicki in almost full black – she looks fabulous. But for every day or every occasion, Non. Have been to too many funerals of too many loved ones, family and friends. I find it can be very depressing. I once worked in a big organisation where in the last ten years, the young women who joined all wore black, all the time. So most of the older ones started doing it too. Just not me. Only sometimes. It was so mood lowering. I find colour to be happier, warmer and lifting to the spirits. Makes you smile! Absolutely. Best wishes, Pamela

Michelle à Détroit

The only time I wear a red, RED lip is when I’m wearing all black. Sometimes, it’s the only pop of color you need. I also have a Mansur Gavriel red lined bucket bag that works well to liven up an all black look. It’s wonderful with the red lip. Subtle and effective.

anitapelayorivera

It’s my GO-TO color really, all winter long! I like the ideas here of texture and breaking up the predictable with an element not expected; I also love adding a white collar, or a set of dangling pearl earrings to my all black!

Missi

I think I could try this! I like the first look the best as I think the sandals, shorter sleeve, open shirt, break up the heaviness.