12 Apr 2018

Wardrobe Classic: The Leather Jacket

The Leather Jacket KEEPS FOREVER

Delve into a women’s wardrobe and no doubt you will find a leather jacket.

An enduring piece, it can work with almost anything.

Why do we deem the Leather Jacket a Wardrobe Classic?

* Simple yet practical. An essential to invest in and a timeless piece that keeps forever.

* Dressed up or down, it is the perfect option for the in-between weather we struggle to dress in. Being able to layer our pieces is essential.

* Not defined as a groundbreaking new fashion piece but as a reoccurring go-to item. On a cost-per-wear basis, it wins every time.

* A wearable jacket for women of all ages, there is a style to suit everyone.

We just need to find the right one for us.

Slim Fit or Oversized

For a chic, contemporary look there is the slim fit design. For a rock n’ roll effect; an oversized boyfriend style is an alternative.

Elegant Approach to Dark Edge

An iconic black leather jacket. It is edgy, maybe too edgy for some of us. However, there are elegant ways to approach it.

Style with feminine pieces to create a contrast – such as a loose silk shirt dress.

Bells and Whistles

We’ve seen dramatic styles develop over the years. Defiant metal zipper details, statement collars, padded shoulders and asymmetrical front sides all deliver strong features to a classic piece, making it so effortless to style.

Colour Wheel

Classic black always springs to mind when we think of the leather jacket, but there are so many choices.

Try starting with an all-black base outfit and styling with a red leather jacket.

Tassels and Embellishments

When time is not in your favour say it with your leather jacket instead.

Think biker-girl plus embroidery, buckles, studs and tassels.

Dreaming of the go-to-combo, just picture it.

A buttery, soft leather jacket paired with a simple white tee and your favourite pair of jeans.

Our lightweight classic is calling.

Wardrobe Classic: The Leather Jacket

*cole haan wing collar  ||  *cole haan quilted  ||  *cole haan lambskin

lamarque lambskin  ||  treasure and bond quilted moto  ||  emerson rose front zip  ||  bernardo kirwin

helmut lang calfskin  ||  ted baker lizia  ||  madewell washed moto  ||  halogen leather moto

images, sarah harris, daniel bruno grandl, style du monde

By

In This Post: ,

A leather jacket is just enough cover in spring and fall. Especially when there’s a bit of wind.
Never get rid of a leather jacket. Even if it goes out of style, it will come back. Examples: brown bombers, the moto….

I probably wear my black leather moto jacket more than any other coat/jacket in my wardrobe. It’s comfortable, keeps out the wind, and versatile enough to be dressed up or down. This is definitely a piece that is worth splurging on, because you will have it forever, wear it a LOT, and when you amortize the cost of it, it’s a bargain.

anitapelayorivera

Good glory, it’s official: I am going to let my hair grow long. The leather?Sure, why not. But I’m looking at HER. I can do this….my hair is still jet black with a few grays at the temples…oh Vicki, you speak to me!

Sunflower

A definite classic Vicki. When I think about my leather jacket it is definitely an item I wear regularly with many outifits. It’s a simple plain jacket that has not really aged fashion wise at all. I actually bought on holiday in Italy many years ago and had to wear it when travelling home as the weight of it would have put my baggage over the limit!!!
Good job I decided to do this as I still adore wearing it.

Michelle à Détroit

I couldn’t agree more. Love the look of the elegant woman in the photo. But, I admit to wincing at the thought of high heels and cobblestones-bad combo! Well, it’s such a great look… maybe if I only had to walk a couple of blocks and had ballet flats in my bag…

1010ParkPlace

I’d rather give up dessert than my leather jacket!! You’re right about being able to dress it up or down. Buy the best you can afford and just know you’ll have it forever. I have a friend who bought a lower quality leather jacket, and it’s awful, but I don’t have the heart to say anything. xoxox, Brenda

Dianne Cant

Absolutely love my leather jackets ,some of which , I have owned worn and loved for a decade plus.
Love the look, feel and comfort of leather, and find day or night no mattter where I am travelling it is my ‘go to jacket’

Joanna

I wore black leather while riding the Harley. It is the jacket of choice for riders because it hides all dirt, as do black jeans. I find black too harsh for everyday wear, preferring grey, caramel, plum and even red. I think in my sixties, I am too old for rocker chic and will leave that to my daughters.

Ally B

I had a lovely leather biker jacket when I was young and then later a chocolate suede coat (oh I loved that coat but it was destroyed in a flood). Now having morphed into a busty apple shape midget I can’t find anything that suits as everything I have tried just adds bulk. I envy you if you can pull this look off.

Sunflower

Oh Ally, don’t be too disheartened. Just try and change the shape of the jacket, especially if you loved a leather jacket. My leather jacket is not short and biker-like but a longer length and far below my waist. It has slit side pockets and just one zip up the front with a slight stand up collar. I love it open or zipped up and is shaped a little slimmer around my waist to show this off. This may be a better option if you feel top heavy. Either way, if you find one and it makesYOU feel good, then buy it.