5 Jun 2018

Would You Wear The Same Wedding Dress?

Would You Wear The Same Wedding Dress Again? on vickiarcher.com

CHOOSE AGAIN OR WAS YOURS FOREVER PERFECT?

Did you walk down the aisle in your dream wedding dress?

With all the talk surrounding the Royal Wedding and “the dress,” we have been down memory lane and back again for weeks. Conversations about the style, the fit and everything else to do with wedding dresses has been echoing at VA.

Voluminous and ornate or simple and understated, which type of wedding dress is yours? VA’s was very much influenced by Lady Diana and all that silk; if I were choosing I am thinking simple more like Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy.

Would You Wear The Same Wedding Dress Again? on vickiarcher.com

A Look At Iconic Wedding Dresses

Princess Grace of Monaco

A fairytale dress with lots of detail, showcasing a beautiful lace bodice designed by Helen Rose. The dress was made up of 10 individual pieces and 400 yards of fabric with distinctive details on the top half, including long sleeve lace arms and a collar leading to small buttons down the chest. Truly jaw-dropping, embroidered with antique Brussels lace, hundreds of seed pearls, a flared skirt and a long intricate train.

* The illusion hemline works to beautifully highlight delicate laces.

Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face

“Jo Stockton” wore a tea-length dress with a wide, soft scoop neckline. The top half was minimal, cinched in at the hips with a fluffy ballgown skirt. Monsieur Givenchy designed the dress which has prompted observations between the similarities of this iconic dress and Meghan Markle’s, designed by Clare Waight Keller of Givenchy and worn to marry Prince Harry in May this year.

* A bateau neckline works to enhance the bust, making this neckline the perfect for brides with a bigger chest.

Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and the City

“Carrie Bradshaw” dressed in an elaborate floor-sweeping number designed by Vivienne Westwood. Often described as the ‘cloud dress’, the gown was layered with masses of fabric featuring gold and ivory shades of silk. The strapless detail kept the neckline simple whilst the statement green feather veil further captured the attention.

* A strapless neckline works beautifully to expose the neck, décolleté and upper back.

Would You Wear The Same Wedding Dress Again? on vickiarcher.com

Bianca Jagger

She styled one of the chicest outfits in wedding history when she wore an unconventional YSL suit on her day. The outfit consisted of a tailored white Le Smoking tuxedo jacket with a plunging neckline and a long narrow skirt. Her veil was in the form of an oversized white sun hat.

* A plunging neckline makes for a sexy outfit. If you wish to be this cool but aren’t ready to take the plunge, consider working a thin silk cami underneath.

Carolyn Bessette

Carolyn Bessette opted for a minimalist figure-hugging bias-cut silk slip. Narciso Rodriguez designed the unadorned but elegant gown and it has become an iconic style when sourcing the dream bridal wear. The scoop neckline added a subtle feature to the dress and Carolyn kept the rest of her look simple by pairing elbow-length gloves.

* A scoop neckline works to elongate the neck and enhance the bust.

Olivia Palermo

A unique and again, unconventional choice. Wearing Carolina Herrera, she wore a three-piece bridal outfit consisting of a plain cashmere sweater and white shorts over a full floral tulle skirt overlay. She added ‘something blue’ with her favourite cobalt blue Manolo Blahniks. The fashion guru may have broken the typical bridal wear tradition but she looked stunning.

* If sticking to the norm isn’t for you, it is always good to try something totally unexpected.

Iconic wedding dresses present an abundance of inspiration, illustrating what we do and don’t like when it comes to the big day.

The only question is now: Would you wear the same wedding dress again or have your preferences changed with the times?

princess grace of monaco, rex features 1957, audrey hepburn, funny face 1957, sarah jessica parker, sex in the city the movie 2008, bianca jagger,  patrick lichfield 1971, carolyn bessette, denis reggie 1996, olivia palermo, johannes huebl 2014

By

I have been to two weddings this spring, and found both of them over-the-top. Both couples were young and not wealthy, so it’s obvious that they went into tremendous debt to put on such lavish productions. It’s money that they could have spent on a down payment for a house. I think that all the trappings of a traditional wedding — including and especially the dress — are just Madison Avenue once again getting people to spend money on unnecessary things. A gown you will only wear once? Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

Paul and I had a very low-key wedding in our backyard, with a judge officiating. Just a few relatives and neighbors. AND I wore just a regular dress. In my opinion, it should be all about marrying the love of your life — NOT being a princess for a day.

Pamela Vasilik

I would say that you were at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to those “over the top” weddings. Wouldn’t it be nice to be somewhere in between. If you are truly having only one wedding in your lifetime then maybe you want to feel a little like a princess for the day. There are many compromises that can be made to have a beautiful wedding without going into so much debt.

We had been living together for fifteen years by then. We already felt married. The ceremony was basically going through the motions that society dictates to “make it legal”. Yes, I know… I make it sound so romantic. I am more a pragmatist than a romantic, so it suited me just fine. Being a “princess” seems like more stress than it is worth. I find just going to a wedding stressful; I certainly don’t need to throw one!

Rebecca Agar

In the past women cut up their wedding dresses to make christening gowns or sometimes were buried in them (they tended not to live as long then). Scarlett Ohara made a dress from her curtains – why not vice versa ? If one can afford a dress that is only worn once, then why not ? I say, each to their own. If the bride can’t afford her dress, she will pay that price and learn a hard lesson, but otherwise there is a risk of being the grinch that wrecked the wedding or the Aunty Scrooge when one is judgmental.

Robyn Kreymborg

I’ve been a bride x 2 first time much like you in a Lady Di inspiration including a quite gorgeous pearl tiara
Wedding 2 I went blush strapless with a net bustier overlay embroider in tiny seed pearls with a soft full skirt divine with my grandmothers ruby brooch as my something old held at the stunning Park Hyatt hotel at Sydneys Rocks area with the harbour and opera house as a back drop 2nd time lucky 🍀

Sounds so beautiful Robyn… I love the description of your dress worn with your Grandmother’s Ruby brooch…

Dawn

I married almost twenty years ago. My gown was almost a twin to Meghan Markle’s dress, but being December, it was white velvet and, like hers, unadorned. The gown has apparently stood the test of time.

Patricia

I have worn my wedding dress many times. I designed and had custom made a winter white, silk charmeuse, long straight skirt with a detachable train and a separate, beaded,Alecon lace evening top. I wore the top on my honeymoon and many times later as an evening top. I had the train re-made into silk palazzo pants and the unadorned, long straight skirt was shortened and also worn as a separate many times over. Pretty good value for $1000 worn over the course of 32 years.

Now THIS makes sense! I don’t know why more women don’t have wedding “separates” instead of a “gown”. Much more practical.

Diana

The wedding dresses I find the most iconic are those of Princess Grace, Jacquie Kennedy and Kate Moss, the last two of which you have left out of your list. My daughter found a wonderful dress for her wedding two years ago. It was not expensive being made in the Ukraine by girls who clearly knew how to sew. Beautiful hand stitching of the lace bodice to the silk tulle skirt…all in the palest grey which gave it a very vintage look along with a sweet Juliet cap (like Kate Moss’s.) Of course I thought she looked beautiful!

Yes.. to both… Heaven… We had to cut down our list… or you would be reading for months! We even had Julie Anthony’s in “Sound of Music” :)

Diana

Of course Vicki! Everyone has their favourites…… I didn’t answer your question I realise. My own dress was rather a Victorian-looking style: high necklinewith pin tucks, a wide skirt ,tiered, and a bow at the back! My brother delighted in telling people that it was “a marvellous wedding; even the bride was in tiers!” So no, it has not stood the test of time, sadly!

Lisa

Dear Vicky,
My first dress was similar to Kate Middleton’s with a tailored bodice and A-silk skirt. But this was many years ago, so if I ever married again, I would love a more streamlined silk similar or Carolyn Bessettes. Hers is my all-time favorite. Classic, elegant and timeless. Thanks for the pictures! Love them.

Rebecca Agar

Yes, Yes, Two weddings, two very different outfits, both I would re wear, it’s almost sad that there is almost never the occasion. Fitting into them is another matter.

Anne Woodyard (@MusicandMarkets)

For our garden wedding (45 years ago this month!) I wore a floor-length gown with an organza capelet. My mother and I had looked everywhere for “the gown” and couldn’t find anything I liked, so had mine tailor-made. I still have it, perhaps a grandaughter will want to wear it someday?

Michelle Ă  DĂ©troit

20 years ago, I was leaving my home in NYC with very little time to pick a wedding dress before I had to catch a flight to my new home in Detroit. I had almost given up and was leaving the floor of the department store when I spied a gown out of the corner of my eye It was a deep creme brûlée, strapless silk taffeta gown with a long sleeved matching jacket. It had chocolate embroidery and a sprinkling of sparkly rhinestones. I knew instantly that I could wear forever. It has a fitted bodice, a small train and a full A-line skirt.The store also had a matching, knee length, fitted skirt and taffeta pants. I bought the whole lot and rushed off. When the package arrived, I discovered that in the rush, the salesman forgot to remove the heavy plastic security tag from the dress! I had to have it removed by a local store. I still love it wear it to evening events. It has not dated in the least. I purposely avoided buying a white dress because I wanted something that I could enjoy wearing forever.

Mimi, I too don’t get these over the top weddings and the debt these young people incur. That’s not a good way to begin their lives together. I think it’s the Princess Syndrome.

Michelle Ă  DĂ©troit

Addendum: The stovepipe taffeta pants are the only piece that no longer cut it. They were always too big and look like the snow suit pants we wore as kids. I tried having them slimmed down by my seamstress to no avail.

Janet

My wedding (at age 39-10/12) was simple. A friend made up a tulip-skirted dress at just ankle length from silk my father brought home from China during the Mao Revolution. My ‘something old’ was an embroidered handkerchief from China of the same age. The ceremony was in my parents’ living room.

Debbie

i wore a dress with more lace than I wanted and puffer sleeves (it was 1987 after all) but am glad I did as my mom wanted to buy my dress (we paid for our wedding and had a wonderful potluck reception). As she died 2 1/2 years later, I don’t regret that choice. But if doing it again would go with something streamlined like Carolyn Bessette’s or Meghan’s (either of the one she wore) .my original plan was for something tea length . we wore white gowns for graduation and mine was very simple and I had thought that my wedding dress would be something along those lines…the theme for our wedding was simple but elegant.

Don’t understand the expensive weddings these days…just saw the average cost was $70,000!!

Jeanne

I wore a long sleeved green wool dress which I have worn every year since to Christmas Eve services (nearly 30 years)! Our marriage took place in a little town in Switzerland. Wedding was at 11am, followed by a quick change and we were skiing by noon. For me it was the perfect wedding, honeymoon and dress!

I hired my wedding dress from Moss Bros. Have never regretted it – I didn’t want to have to lug a meringue around on our travels. Had originally planned to buy long floaty white silk or even lace culottes that I could wear later. But because we were being married in Cambridge back in the old days not a single family member flew from Oz (they didn’t back then) nor any close friends (all my girlfriends were getting married themseves in Oz). So it hardly seemed worth it to spend a fortune on a dress. But the Best Man advised that he insisted on having a kilt in hubby’s clan dress tartan made for him in Scotland so of course I couldn’t wear pants. Hiring was the answer. Don’t even remember much about the dress, pretty and simple, not meringue, but that’s about it. The wedding was beautiful, in Great St Mary’s Cambridge, and we’re still good friends with some of our new friends then who attended. Reception was at hubby’s college, partly indoors, partly in the beautiful garden. We have a big anniversary coming up next year so I think not being very fussed over a dress made no difference to long term happiness. Best wishes, Pamela

Ann

LOL! If I remarried I would definitely not wear either of the two dresses I have been married in. For one thing, my first wedding dress was a lime green micro-mini dress with matching panties. Naturally, in 1970, I loved it. I loved even more my second wedding dress, worn 26 years later, when I married the love of my life. I think it cost $55 and was unsuitably white, but quite suitable for a late summer, courthouse garden ceremony officiated by a judge in purple pants.

But I suppose the main reason I wouldn’t wear an old wedding dress when marrying any new spouse is that it would be a little bit like having my new husband present me with a wedding ring given to me by a prior husband.

It would just be weird. ;)

And for the record, of all the wedding dresses shown above, Ms. Bessette Kennedy’s dress rings my bell the loudest.