31 Jul 2018

Wardrobe Classic: The High-Waist Jeans

A COLLECTION THAT KEEPS ON GROWING.

Life without a great pair of jeans is simply unthinkable.

They are the wardrobe classic we gravitate towards on a weekly basis, the staple item we wear when all else fails and we feel in a rut with our wardrobe.

Bootcut, boyfriend, skinny, flared, over the years we’ve seen an assemblage of styles and fits come and go.

Our favourite of the moment?

The high-waist style, cropped above the ankles.

Figure-hugging in all of the right places and a high contender to be styled with just about any top we have.

* The high-waist jeans help accentuate our legs, making them appear longer.

* When it comes to colours, we’re not fussy. Classic blue, distressed black or brave white, we’ll take them all.

* Whether we choose to style them with a baggy tee or a pretty fitted blouse, we can tuck it in or wear it loose. Both work.

* If the shoe fits, any style goes. For everyday wear, we love switching up the casual sneaker and the easy slip-on mule. When the day draws to a close and an evening out is on the menu, we swap to a small heel.

The high-waist jeans are our reliable style hero.

Our motto, ‘there’s always room for one more pair’.

Wardrobe Classic: The High-Waist Jeans

j.crew boot crop  ||  frame straight leg  ||  paige raw hem  ||  levi’s skinny  ||  frame high ankle  ||  madewell short

images, sarah harris, style du monde, linda rodin for matches fashion

In This Post: ,

They almost invariably look good from the front. It’s the back that’s tricky. The pocket placement is the key–those back pockets can make your going view look shapely or enormous, depending on how high/low they are placed, how far apart and how angled. There isn’t a universally perfect pair, either, because everybody’s shape is different.

Joanna

My daughter was known to say ” How does my butt look?” whenever trying on jeans. At the time, I thought it very silly and even vain. Fast forward a few years and I’m always checking my rear view, as my backside is not as perky as it once was. Pocket placement is a very important aspect in buying new jeans.
I’m loving the high waisted jeans. They make your legs look even longer (5’8″).

Joan

Ugh! As welcome a chore as finding a new bathing suit! Anything cropped is fine when you’re over 5’8″ (or close to 5’10”), otherwise I agree with Tim Gunn: they cut you off and can make you look shorter!
And was the poor gal on the right attacked by a puma on her way to the fashion shoot?

I have been waiting for the return of the high waist for what seems like forever. So much more comfortable, flattering and versatile for most shapes

Janice Coleman

I prefer high waisted jeans. Being a little fuller in the hip and butt area I feel more confident in high waisted jeans. I like classic blue.

Ann

Amen! My 501s are the piece I reach for when I need security clothing. When I am wearing them I feel safe. That probably sounds a little weird. But it’s how they make me feel.

Dianne Cant

My Ralph Lauren’s Vintage patched and with logos are my ‘go to’ for travelling, for leisurely lunches with friends and sometimes to dress up with a girlie lace shirt and jacket for the cinema and dinner. Thanks for reinforcing the fact that they are flattering and leg lengthening and fashionable again.

Sue

Some great choices here Vicki! Frame are a favourite and the Madewell are excellent also. I typically wear a 28 in jeans and these are bang on TTS everytime. Just out of curiosity who is the amazing woman in top left pic(standing)? Fabulous hair to boot!

That is Sarah Harris from Vogue UK… she always looks amazing.. very ‘classic but with a twist’ sort of style.. and her hair… it has been inspirational for me when I have felt like giving up!

Beth

I walked into Madewell for the first time and walked out with four new pairs of jeans. and a jean jacket (not to be worn at the same time of course). I’m a believer now!

Michelle à Détroit

I am over the moon THRILLED that high waisted jeans have made a comeback. Although, these days, what they are calling “high waisted” still falls a couple of inches below the natural waist. I always loathed low rise jeans and wound up gleefully dumping every pair I owned on eBay. I decided that I didn’t care if they were in style.

Terri Symington

I would not of thought of those jeans as high waisted because they are sitting on the hips… I like this style … but like already commented, pocket placement is everything…