7 Aug 2018

Grey Hair: Plain Straight V With A Twist

I’m having a hair debate.

With myself.

Not over the stay grey or leave grey situation but whether to wear the tresses dead straight which has been my habit or whether to kink a few waves on the ends. I have always been a straight-haired girl, most likely because I was born with blonde curls and like all women; we want what we don’t have.

My “hair life” has been spent torturing my locks with anything and everything to create a sleek, perfectly straight look. My mind remembers not only to the obvious straighteners but all the weird contortions I tried myself. One I still use to this day – cut up old stockings/pantyhose into thick bands to bind the hair with these. Instant sleek guaranteed. I can still visualise myself as a teenager running around the house looking like a show pony; a bound ponytail sticking out for everyone to see. Like all 15 year olds, I knew best. Hindsight only shows me what a silly person I was.

Then there was the “having my hair painted with beer and wrapped around my head stage”. The hair was secured after it was neatly plastered clockwise around my head, a scarf put over the lot and then a long sit under an overhead hairdryer. What was I thinking?

What was I thinking? Imagine a certain type of male with who covers his head with his few remaining locks to conceal baldness; I looked a bit like that only with an abundance of “wrap”.

I could go on and on about my weird and wonderful hair adventures but enough said when I say how grateful I am for modern technology. The powerful blow dryer has changed my world as has the curling iron and tong. Nowadays, I have choices.

Recently I started twisting the ends to try something different – for me in any case. I like the way it falls, a little softer at the ends and it is a change. The truth is I like the look of the twists but feel more myself with the straight.

Habit is a hard one to shake. xv

Grey Hair: Straight V Twist

In This Post: ,

anitapelayorivera

Vicki, I love both these images of your hair; the first one with the twists is something I’d choose (since my hair is very straight) because it’s so soft and let’s face it, we see a lot of younger women wearing their hair this way, and it looks fantastic. Whether you wear it twisted or straight, I think your hair shows how much love and care you’ve put into it. BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you Anita… The answer I suppose is to mix it up and wear it both ways from time to time… :)

Bella

Good day Vicki I really enjoy your posts. Please explain how you twist the ends of your hair. I really battle with mine.

With a curling iron, Bella… but leave the ends out so there are a good 2inches straight at the bottom… :)

Janice

I think your hair is beautiful no matter how you wear it. I keep mine short so I have few options.

Goldie stetten

Hi Vicki.
I’ve been reading you since the beginning and we went gray together. My hair was always a Jennifer Anniston highlighted honey created from a bottle. Naturally it was a light ash brown. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t question my choice, even though I get compliments every single day. I think a wash-in temporary color to warm it a bit that would wear off in 4-6 weeks. Have you thought of that too?

Yes, Goldie! I have thought of that… but I am getting used to my 50 shades more and more…and talking about it here gives me the willpower to keep on with the natural.. :)

Fiona B

Straight looks groomed, smart, elegant….twists look….not. Not on anybody, actresses, singers, royalty or family….just not!

I do like them on others, Fiona… I will have to agree to disagree… just not sure on me!

Barbara Abel

I think the straight look is lovely and classic. It always looks well maintained.

I think you are right Barbara… it is why I like it too… I feel more casual with the twists..

Dianne

Too funny but I sure can relate! I once heard a story of someone putting ketchup in their hair to dye it. It did not turn out well. This was fairly recently and BTW wasn’t me! LOL

Now that’s one I haven’t tried!
I have been every colour in my past life… I made up for the plain years ahead of me!

When I wore my hair longer, I liked it to be as natural as possible. I don’t like the super-straightened Gwyneth Paltrow look nor the mermaid ringlets. Straight is pretty, but not rigid straight. Waves and curls are great, but I’m partial to the old-time movie star look, like Lauren Bacall in the ’40s.
My hair idol used to be Cher in her Sonny days, which was convenient, since I had long, thick, straight hair and it was before blowdryers. I eventually went for a shoulder-length non-style, and now am rocking an Anna Wintour bob that is far less perfect than hers. But it’s low-maintenance and suits my face.

I am a “bob” fan and wore one for about 10 years before I grew it longer… I’m thinking about going back there next winter… we will see :)

Linda

Be wary of bob length, if you don’t want your face to look wide a longer bob or lob as they call it is the ticket, if it falls to chin length it will definitely make your face look wider if you do not have a thin face.

Rhonda

This post made me chuckle! You’re right — we always want what we don’t have. And I want curls!! I got a compliment on my hair yesterday, and the lady asked if those curls were natural. Ahhh… no! I’m still struggling with the gray issue; I want to bite the bullet, but I’m afraid my dementia-plagued mother won’t know who I am! All that to say, I love the first picture with the soft curls! Beautiful!!

My mother doesn’t know me anymore but if she did… she would hate the grey! She’s only stopped dyeing her hair in the last six months… since she turned 100!! She would tell me to get to the hairdresser immediately if she could .. :)

Rhonda

Bless your mother’s heart! I suppose having one’s hair done weekly at the salon was a mindset for ladies of her time, and it was just hard to give up! My mother stopped coloring her hair in her fifties, and she is now 82, and has the prettiest silvery white hair. Mine is the same, underneath the cover-up. Someday! (I just dread the process! And hate that nagging thought that I might actually look older, when I know that the opposite might be true.)

Kathy Margolis

HI Vicki,
I like your hair both ways, having said that I think hair dye is the best anti aging thing anyone can do. I found that it will take ten years off right away. Maybe your natural color with a few highlights and straight would be. Beautiful. Very elegant !❤

Linda

My hair is very close to yours and I too prefer mine straight, stylists always want to give me layers and beach waves, and yes it looks good on my silver hair but it’s just not me……..plus I think the fluffier your hair is the wider your face will look. I like the classic simplicity of smooth straight…..just like I liked it in the 70’s.

Maybe that’s why I like the straight style… I have a roundish face.. and never wanted it to look any fatter… Mmmm.. maybe I do now though… ha ha…

Linda B

I say that the right answer is to follow your gut on this one, Vicki. If you feel more like yourself with straight hair, go with that! If you want to play with some experimenting, feel free. But trust your inner voice. You won’t go wrong.

I have been through so many ups and downs of length and style in my nearly 61 years I I can’t count the styles, really. About four and a half years ago, I started growing out my very, very short pixie out–I’d had that for the longest of any cut, about 12 years. I found a new stylist three years ago who actually completely gets how to work with my naturally wavy/curly hair. The layering she does let’s my locks do their thing (a balance of well-groomed but a little wildness!) and I do feel most myself with this curly look, with my hair just above my shoulders, and my little bit of grey almost looking like highlights, or the old “frosting” that that women of this age did so much a few decades ago. It feels really good to love my hair as it is.

I have never had a pixie cut… well once when I was a girl.. but it did NOT suit me and I think scared me for life ha ha… it was a bad cut, like a boy’s and on a plump little girl .. it did nothing! Layers I have had a plenty .. and now I am a straight cut with a slightly longer angle in the front… Next month, who knows… ;) ;)

I like them too in this pic.. because I can’t see me so I can judge more easily… ha ha… front on.. I think… Who is that?? :)

Linda B Kerr

Goodness! I used all these methods to straighten my hair in the 60’s and 70’s too! My hair is naturally curly-frizzy, a combination of textures, some very wiry and kinky. I have learned that curly hair is DRY hair, and now try to stay away from blow dryers and irons. I use conditioner to wash it, and use a leave-in conditioner as well. Then I usually let it air dry, or bundle it up on my head in a cotton T-shirt or microfiber towel. Often I will put in a few rollers at the crown, before going to bed, to give that part of my hair much needed lift in the morning. It’s been hard getting used to the natural look, but I persist, and am getting compliments! If I had my choice thought, I’d want straight hair. I think it’s so much more elegant than crazy curls.

I admire you coming to terms with the natural.. apart from my colour, I still do everything I can to my hair… :)

Sara

Your hair is so thick and in such good condition!I think you should go with the curls – it looks more fashionable and suits your hair beautifully.

Jeanne

I love the soft curls Vicki….you are so lucky to have such beautiful thick hair. When I was in high school I used toilet paper rolls wrapped in foil to take the frizz out of my hair..wow we are all so inventive ..haha

Both looks are beautiful for you. As I have a round face I prefer the straight look for myself as it is more flattering for my face shape, sleeker and I think more chic. But my French hairdresser sometimestalks me into allowing him to give the hair “movement” when he blowdries it. Still prefer it straight though. Best wishes, Pamela

PS How awfully sad that your mother has reached an age where she no longer recognises you. It must be very hard for you. Our mothers are so important in our lives and the thought they (or we) might reach this point is terrible. Pamela

I accept it now, Pamela… as it’s not been so long and she has had an incredible inning and was always as sharp as anything… hence my comment about my hair! It’s difficult and very strange at the same time but I try very hard not to take it to heart… and a lot of deep breaths help…

Marsha Scott

I love the fact that you were free enough to “go gray,” no matter how you style it. Coloring my hair has been in my life since I was 18 and every single time I re-do, touch up, I dread the appointment. Like getting my nails and toes done. I love the finished product, but really hate the “sitting” time. I’m still coloring in a 2-3 process way, my hair is beautiful, but my lifestyle no longer requires this level of up-keep. I think a change is coming. I do have it layered short now, which is such bliss. Blow dry, round brushes and I’m out the door. That makes me happy ! Your hair is such a beautiful length as you’re able to tie it back, pin it up, or wear it long and loose. It’s beautiful !!

It did take some bravery.. I promise.. lots.. especially some days… but now, most of the time I am ok with it… and as you say, the sitting for so long and it would take me 3/4 hours to get the colour done .. very boring… The length helps, I think… :)

Teena

Love love your grey hair it’s beautiful I keep telling my 76 year old sister to let her beautiful thick colored hair go grey and I show get your pics. Her answer is when I give up work I will not ready for that yet!!!!! Yes she still works full tube also an awesome 76 year old.

Michelle à Détroit

Love, love, love your silver locks, Vicki. Your hair looks so healthy and beautifully cared for. I’m working up the courage to take the plunge.

Jeanette

I laughed when I read your
teenage hair straightening methods. I used them all, plus with very long hair and desperate for the long straight hair of my friends, I would bend my head over the ironing board, put brown paper over the hair, and iron !! Desperate times before the days of G H D straighners. Great post.

I may have been known to iron mine too, Jeanette ;) ;)
What I did to my poor hair… my Father used to say I was lucky I had any left after all that I did to torture it!!

Mary Sullivan

Vicki your hair is the hair I would love – but will never happen! I’ve colored for years, blonde, red and now a deep brunette with occasional foils to give a highlighted/textured look. However, I no longer have my signature straight, ear length, blunt bob of many, many year as I’ve been growing it for a year and it’s now a lob.
Taking forever and I need patience, can just tie it back now but need perhaps one more inch!
You do have a beautiful head of hair – keep it long as you can do more with it.

Keep your hair long Vicki, it’s lovely, straight or wavy.

Marionne

Vicki. What do you do with the cut pantyhose .. how does that achieve a sleek look

As my hair is slightly longer .. thought I might try it

Please spill the beans

I cut the old tights – ones I can no longer wear – into thick bands, like elastics (across the leg so they are single bands) … then I tie my hair up with them and/or add a few more to the ponytail to smooth it out – only on dry hair. The material of the tights smooths the hair… Sort of like wrapping the hair.
The trick is to cut the bands with some width- about 4cm works well.

Deborah

Your hair is beautiful! I’m growing out my highlighted hair, which is naturally medium blonde, to embrace the gray. It has been eight months since I last saw my colorist. What was your natural hair color when you stopped coloring? I am hoping mine looks like your when the grow-out is complete. I have short hair now (it’s been 3+ years and I still receive compliments on the cut), but am concerned about looking dowdy with shorter hair. Fun to try a new look though!

My natural hair colour was light brown … I added the highlights to make it blonde… Short and grey is where I stumble too… my hair is much longer since letting the grey in… I like the contrast of the unexpected… :)

Trish Murphy

Vicki I love your hair in both photos. Do both as curls look fabulous for fun nights or weekends or wherever! You are so lucky to rock both styles. Here I am with a longish bob and coloured hair at 62. Too hard to change from brunette just yet. I think going grey from blonde is an easier transition. Keep up the silver curls. X Trish

I do believe it is harder to change from brunette to grey, Trish… it takes longer because first, it is best to transition into a lighter shade from the brunette by adding highlights.
You will know when you are ready… and maybe you will be and maybe you won’t. As long as we are confident in our choices, then they are the right ones. :)

Kim Harrison

Mine is down middle of my back, salt and pepper (more salt). I’m liking all the new bright colors but I don’t want to bleach anything. I’m thinking about doing a light to dark purple hombre on the bottom. I’m 57 and just don’t want to be old looking!

Angela Boulding

I’m four months into the long route to grey hair and have an attractive badger stripe going on. I am naturally blonde (albeit mousy) but have been dyeing dark brown for years (I just think dark hair seems glossier), but every three weeks at the salon is just too much. Where I worry is that I moved from London back to Dorset and I spend most of my time in jeans and wellies, walking the dogs or mucking out horse stables in wet and windy weather and, because my hair is fairly curly and a bit frizzy, I fear it will look witchy quickly. Anyway, I’ll persevere though as the grey that’s coming through is a lovely bright, almost platinum, silver.

It’s tough to start Angela.. but so worth it… keep having a trim and take as much off the length as you can stand.. also take time for a good blow dry and even wear a fine headband to soften the grow out… it can look great and just make the transition that much softer. Good luck and keep going! :)

Suzanne

“One I still use to this day – cut up old stockings/pantyhose into thick bands to bind the hair with these. Instant sleek guaranteed.”

PICTURES PLEASE! Pictures of the entire process would be especially appreciated. Sorry, but I just can’t visualize this. With all those little bands how come it doesn’t come out kinked or ‘wrinkled’? And if two of us have asked so far, you know that there are more of us out there wondering. I researched on line and can’t find anything that details this process. I/we would be ever so grateful. So, please … soon … thank you …

Well I will try Suzanne… I don’t think it will be online! This is the weird little hair saver I have been using since I was 15…

The key is to cut the bands of the pantyhose thick and then bind dry hair… I will get the girls to take some pics and put them up for you.. I’m travelling for a week but once I get home :)