10 Oct 2018

A Tale Of The Cream Knit

How runaway sheep got me thinking about my favourite Autumn staple.

When Mary arrived at VAHQ the other day she was so excited about her journey and the little detour it took. She told me how the bizarre happenings on the train line had her thinking about cream knitwear. As one who adores all things cream, especially cosy sweaters, I asked her to tell you where she found her inspiration. It’s the cutest tale and as she is an aspiring writer my advice to her was to go with it.

And plus we have some delicious new sweaters to consider. xv

The inspiration for this knitwear tale was found in the unlikeliest of places.

Whilst on my morning commute to the VA office, the driver of my train made a very stressed announcement. What was he going to say? Suddenly, the train launched to a halt, we were stopped on the tracks and had no idea why. We learned a flock of sheep had decided to have a morning run on the tracks, much to the amusement of my fellow commuters. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Fear not, they were seen in time for the train to slow down and encourage them back to their grassy homes.

As I saw the cream, woolly animals returning to their fields, I thought about all the delicious cream knitwear featured this season. Reuniting with the sweaters is one of the best parts of Autumn alongside saying a warm hello to all things cosy.

Cream knits are one of the staples when it comes to dressing for the colder months and with their ability to go with everything in the closet, they are essential.

Imagine a cup of hot cocoa in one hand, a book in the other and the cosiness of a chunky knitted cream sweater. Bliss.

One of my favourite ways of styling these pieces is with jeans, a simple pair of white sneakers and a red lip.

Or when I’m feeling a little more luxe, I reach for a cropped variety.  Pairing it with a pleated midi skirt and a strappy kitten heel. Perfection.

When the leaves start falling, and winter is on its way, welcome back the knitwear.

P.S. no sheep were harmed in the making of this feature.

Cosy Up In Cream

bishop + young bell  ||  forte forte boat  neck  ||  maje cable   ||  proenza schouler round  ||  acne cable  ||  acne ribbed ||  acne lookalike

images, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley by James Macari for Vogue Mexico November 2014,  Alasdair McLellan for Mi Armario en Ruinas,  Elle France October 1989, Mango

By

Jenny

Did you know that if a sheep gets on its back, it can’t get up? In Scotland, where I was born, that’s know as ‘a cowpit ewe’. One of my best train journeys ever was through the lowlands of Scotland, crossing the moors on my way to Edinburgh. Suddenly, quite close to the track, were three men, all trying to right a cowpit ewe, and obviously having a hard time of it. Just as we passed, however, they succeeded, and the whole carriage cheered men and ewe, who looked quite unconcerned and started cropping right away. The men just looked a wee bit sheepish…….

I love this story, Jenny… and lucky for the ewe! One day I want to do a Scottish train journey.. the most heavenly scenery ever… I shall be on the lookout for cowpit ewes ;)

sue

Whilst I love my big wooly cosy jumpers, scarves, coats and boots, I am very pleased to be saying goodbye to all them, for a while at least! I really don’t like winter at all and all I can think of at the moment is tee shirts and ankle crops. It’s interesting Vicki I love your posts but when you start to get excited about your approaching spring and all things summer in clothing, I get forlorn because I know that means winter is coming for us ha ha. Now I am getting excited because you’re talking up winter clothes and that means summer for us. Just like your talented ‘girls’, it sounds like a ‘win win’ for all of us. I hope you remind them now and again how lucky they are to be working with you and by the same token I know only too well how inspiring it is to have young, creative people around you – ideas and inspiration abound…..yayyyyyy!

anitapelayorivera

What can I say? Cream is one of my favorite hues for all year, and the chunky sweater with a simple pair of jeans AND red lips? This is ME!

Michelle à Détroit

I try to imagine the beautiful and elegant Audrey Hepburn in trainers with a little Givenchy suit, or perhaps with the black gown she wore in the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Sorry, can’t do it. I could see Katherine Hepburn in them perhaps, but Audrey, never. Timelessness is my goal in all things esthetic. It may be somewhat predictable, but it works for me. The great thing about a simple, streamlined, classic look is that like Audrey Hepburn, you never look dated in photos.

Funnily enough Michelle, I could imagine her wearing them… wishful thinking perhaps ;)

Michelle à Détroit

Yes Vicki, perhaps she would have eventually succumbed 😉 Sadly, we’ll never know…

Claudia Hutter

Dear Vicky. I am such an ardent fan and thoroughly enjoy every article written by you or your team!
How I would love to live between France and London. That would be my idea of heaven. A little of the city and a bit of the beautiful rustic Provence. Perfect. Fin 😊
I live in Cape Town and am travelling to London in two weeks. I was wondering where in Provence would you recommmend to go for two weeks mid November? Oh and I am arriving with my chunky cream sweater 😍

Provence is lovely in winter and even the Cots d’Azur.. of course I recommend St Remy and then Aix en Provence, Avignon and the Luberon.. all beautiful places to explore… :) Yes, a sweater will be needed :)