7 Feb 2019

The Age Of Movement: More Age, More Movement

I’m all about feeling better and I am very happy to move faster.

Faster doesn’t necessarily mean I want to run at a rapid pace or win a marathon every year; what it does mean is I want to feel energised. Energy is something I never want to compromise on and in terms of “better, not younger” it is vital. When we feel energised we not only look better but also life is wonderful. Energy is a tonic – it makes me feel on top of the world and as if I can conquer anything. When I am tired and lacking in motivation, it is the opposite. Life becomes sluggish, I achieve far less and I become disappointed in myself. It is not a self-criticism, rather a fact because without energy our day to day is so much harder.

When I move I feel so much better.

Yoga has finally become a permanent fixture in my life. I have dabbled on and off for years but never been as committed to the practice as I am now. Yes, yoga is a slow discipline and requires constant effort to make progress but while the art is slow the results are far from that. Moving through the poses on a regular basis is making me much faster in my everyday life. I am more flexible and certainly so much more energised.

Yoga isn’t for everyone and it is by no means the only way to move faster.

Movement is the key whichever way you choose – walk, run, train at the gym, do Pilates or ride horses. The answer is to move. Working on a computer most days makes me sluggish physically and while I felt mentally alert and “on top of it”, it also has its downside. Fingers, neck and back become stiff and the eyes over-tired, not to mention the overload of information on a daily basis. The reflective nature of yoga has really helped me wind down and switch off – even if it is only for an hour a day. Now when I miss a session I feel it both physically and mentally.

I feel better when I am active, even if some days I struggle to get there. It is easy to find an excuse – no time, too late, too far, I’m not in the mood or tomorrow will do – I have used these reasons to resist many times over and no doubt I will again. What I must remember is 90 % of the hard work is getting there. Don’t over think, over rationalise or fight with myself over what I should and shouldn’t do. Simply go and the rest will take care of itself.

This was the best advice I ever had.

When the myriad of excuses raises their ugly head I make myself get ready despite my inclinations to stay sedentary. I don’t think about the effort ahead of me, I only think about getting there. One step in front of the other and that’s all I need.

I am not unmotivated, rather the contrary and I know you aren’t either but it is so easy to stop moving. A little less activity each month can become a weekly habit and ultimately our days become lazy. There are times our bodies and minds need to relax but on the whole, as we age, movement is by far the most beneficial gift we can receive.

Feel better, move faster and move faster to feel better; It’s up to us. xv

Make Me Move Faster

the upside blue camo leggings  / sports bra  ||  the upside camo leggings / sports bra  ||  the upside army leggings / sports bra

nike airzoom in cream  ||  the upside tee

image, steven pan

In This Post: ,

If you want inspiration, check out the Instagram of designer Norma Kamali (age 73, but when I showed her photo to my husband he guessed 46). She has clips of herself doing exercise and is amazing.
I did yoga for years, but then my beloved teacher moved away. I recently returned to the practice, but in between I found Pilates, which I prefer–it’s very similar to yoga without the spiritual side, which is not at all my thing. It’s something one can start at any age–my Pilates teacher has a class for seniors, and she says they love it for the improvement in bladder control.

I like Pilates too… and did quite a few classes on my recent trip to the US. I know what you mean re the spirituality but I do find the quiet time very relaxing at the beginning and end… and the poses such a help to my flexibility. I suppose with all things it is best to mix it up and do a bit of everything. As long as we keep moving in whatever way works… :)

Diana

I agree Vicki . Personally , it’s Pilates for me. But I also think it’s so much easier to be active in the summer months. The winters tend to be when I get very lazy..

Winters are a killer!
It’s black and freezing now in London and I’m about to head out.. the fire and a glass of wine would be much more appealing… But NO.. I’m going… and will enjoy both much more after :)

M J DICK

I am 68 and 10 years ago I had both hips replaced and a plate in my ankle. After that time I was quite inactive and gained a lot of weight, I felt unattractive, tired all the time and limited in movement. Something had to happen! After deciding that I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life sitting on the sofa I started working part time, this helped, then I joined a weightloss group, this also helped but I needed more. I thought I would try Pilates and although I found it hard going to begin with I persisted and it paid off, I had a far better range of movement and muscle tone, I slept so much better after a Pilates class! About 6 months ago I was confident enough to join the local gym and I tried a “Body Pump” class, again not the easiest but the results are amazing! Now nearly 7 stones lighter, toned and with more energy than I have had in a decade I can recommend that all older ( or young) people move! It can make your life so much better.

Congratulations… and well done.. that is a huge result and fantastic testimony to movement. Only makes me feel like moving more… THANK YOU :)

Barbara

Yay, so happy you’ve embraced yoga! I’m a yoga instructor and we have 80 (plus) individuals in our classes that still move like the much younger ones! If you do it today, you’ll be able to do it tomorrow…and the next day and the next.

That’s my plan, Barbara.
I have a ways to catch up so I should be competent by then ;) ;)

Linda B

I have found daily exercise to be key to my physical and mental wellness! Every morning I get out for a run, a bike ride or a hike. I maybe miss 1-2 mornings a month, like yesterday when it was absolutely pouring rain (a rare circumstance where I live!) When I am retired in June, I plan to add yoga and/or pilates into my weekly rotation.

One increasingly powerful motivator is watching how poorly my parents have aged. Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago, and Mom is clearly on her way. She has done a bit of yoga and tai chi in her life, but never ever anything aerobic in any way. He’s 85, and she is 82, and it is so sad. . . I’d much rather age like my mother-in-law, who at nearly 87 still walks a few miles every day–and is sharp as a tack.

Once you get a healthy habit established, it really does tend to reinforce itself.

Linda, it sounds like your M-I-L is amazing… that’s my goal to be doing more every year and with greater ease … here is hoping if I do the work it will pay off :)

bonnie

Yes Vicki,
I too love yoga for all the benefits it gives me. However, I say “To each his own, but do something”. I so agree that getting there is the key. I’ve made a daily routine for myself which involves getting out of the house as the first thing I do in the morning. I don’t allow myself to think Yes or No It is just GO. Everyone can’t do a routine this rigid, but putting time into one’s week for movement will be so beneficial.

Bonnie… that is where I slip up if I don’t head outside first thing I start finding other things to do… like work ;)
That is the answer… no deliberating, just go!

Laura

Always a proponent of movement. Have been moving my whole life through daily runs, hiking and occasional tennis. It is so essential, particularly as we get “older”. In Colorado it is easy to be outside year round, snow is no excuse to stay inside. EVA Snowshoes & Yak Trax make it easier to move through the winter terrain.
You are so right about practicing yoga. It’s not only great for flexibility, but cleanses the lymphatic system, as well!

I am really enjoying it Laura… on so many levels. I do feel much better and now you have mentioned the lymphatic drainage that makes absolute sense. Im about to go to a class now, after a long flight and before another one tomorrow… I need it!
Colorado (We were just in Aspen… what a heavenly part of the world you live in… I bought the Yak Trax and hiked most days… what a great invention!)

Eileen Azzinaro

My favorite is Pilates. The gym I joined has a Pilates as well as a combo Pilates/Yoga class. I’m also doing weight training for strength and bone density. Flexibility is the name of the game. However you do it.

Anne Campbell-Crawford

Bravo Vicki and long may you continue with your Yoga. I am now going to suggest you try Pilates! I am a Pilates teacher in Paris and would love it if you tried one of my Barre au Sol classes in the 7eme arrondissment. I would also love to have anyone who reads your pages and sends in comments to attend my Pilates or Barre au Sol classes. I am in my 70’s and have clients of all ages in various size of groups. No, I have never stopped moving and continue to do so for ever, with a bit of luck an determination it could happen.
Always love your enthusiastic pages with the beautiful introductory pictures.
Lots of bizzzzes,
Anne C-C

Anne, on my next trip I will most definitely come and see you… How wonderful, thank you so much.

Please send your details Anne and I will circulate to our readers… I know they would love to meet you and take a class too :)

Bonnie

Anne C-C
Would you put your address here for us to see and how best to contact you . I would love to take a class with you when i’m next in Paris.

Sunflower

Well done Vicki for sticking with the yoga. We’ve commented many times in the benefits and you are so right that the effort is in getting there, especially after a day’s work or poor weather. I’ve missed this week as picked up a bug which has absolutely drained me. There is one thing for sure that when I am back in my car for the journey home after a yoga class I never ever regret going – I feel calm, relaxed and about three inches taller! I also love attending other classes when on holiday as it’s such a delight to do a practice with others on holidays of all nationalities.

anitapelayorivera

Good morning Vicki! I am terribly late….

This is a topic I love. No matter what pace, no matter what activity….the idea is to simply MOVE. I’ve always been a fast-paced worker, homemaker, you name it. I had a colleague once who told me in French, “SLOW DOWN! You’re going to have a ‘crise cardiac!” Well, I took her advice, but for other reasons. I’ve decided in my 60th year that it would be wise to watch my steps a little more closely, to avoid falling. But another thing happened: I’ve been learning to slow down my angry reactions to children. Though I continue to move and exercise my body to keep it at an active rhythm, one thing is apparent to me: to slow down my reactions and allow compassion and understanding to take over. Talk about an invigorating, youthful feeling? It makes for a more peaceful day.

Lynn H

Thank your for the wonderful post /reminder to move more in our lives. Would also like the address /contact info for Anne ( Pilates instructor) in Paris.

Lynn H