4 Mar 2019

In Conversation: The “Rise” Of The Over 50 Influencer

The “Rise” Of The Over 50 Influencer on vickiarcher.com

Really?

I read an article about “the rise of the over 50 influencer” on the weekend and I took slight offence.

Not because I am over 50, but because the point of difference is all about their age.

Style, beauty, creativity and influence have absolutely nothing to do with age. I am glad designers are finally working with older models and advertorial campaigns are featuring all ages but the truth is very plain, you either have it or you don’t.

Personal style is not a number and simply being young and beautiful is not enough. That does not make for “influence”.  True style comes from within  – it’s inherent, cultivated through passion and understanding in equal parts. Memorable style means a great eye and an ability to “see”, to envision more than what is face value. Older women who are considered today’s “influencers” would have known how to put it together from an early age. Fashion lovers are fashion lovers all throughout their lives – it doesn’t stop and start – just because they are moving forward.

Advanced, advancing or ageless? What are those words, other than catchy?

My style is not advanced, nor behind and certainly not young or old; it is mine. ‘Senior’ fashion, hardly. Women, who have it, have had it through the centuries and it wasn’t determined by their birthday.

We women, are individuals despite our age.

Diane Keaton was one of the women mentioned in this article, mentioned because she now features what she is wearing on her Instagram account. This makes her a fashion “influencer”; this talented and exceptional woman has been an influencer for decades and not because at 73 she dresses like a rock star. She always has and always will. It is who she is.

Are journalists and those supposedly in the know only just realising women of many ages are enviable when it comes to their style? Experience is undervalued in our culture and it saddens me if we are dismissed because of a number. If nothing else, this makes me want to get my ‘A game’ on when it comes to what I’m wearing.

Apparently, the ‘Over 50’s’ influencers are making traction in social media because of the connection to our audience and our authenticity. I would hope that has never changed and I had as much connection in my 40’s as I will in my 60’s.

I don’t want to be noticed because I happen to “look good for my age”. Forget that.

I want to look and feel fabulous because I am me. What about you? xv

When All Else Fails, Wear A Turtleneck

black turtleneck  ||  majestic paris full sleeve  ||  majestic paris half sleeve  ||  akris punto stretch

this feature contains affiliate links

image diane keaton, vanity fair

In This Post: ,

The journalists aren’t deciding who’s an influencer; they are looking at the people who are getting tons of followers and who are then adopted by brands as representatives. They are merely telling the people who aren’t following that this is happening; they aren’t picking out the influencers themselves.
Brands aim for a young demographic because those are the consumers who buy often. They adopt a style, then change it months later. As we age, we know what we like and stick with it. We buy quality. We ignore trends. We might say, “meh, I have enough. I don’t need this thing.” We probably have much more disposable income than the younger crowd, though. The brands want to get them on their team young, in hopes that they will stick around to spend for years to come, buying less often but spending far more. However, with the new precariat of the gig economy, the future is less certain than ever. Meanwhile, the baby boomers are the richest generation ever. Brands are waking up to it.

Yes, I think they are, hence the focus and articles about the draw of older women and their fashion style.

Jenny Barton

Style is a strange animal. I am 5ft 10” tall and built on generous lines. Not fat, but appropriate for my height. I’m retired now, but when I was working I devised a style of sleek separates with silk/cashmere tees, depending on the season, updating them with some on trend tweak every year. OSKA was my go-to source of clothing. It suited my position and lifestyle, but I always thought it was very boring. Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered I was considered a ‘style icon’ by the worldwide corporation I worked for! For me, style is about assessing yourself ruthlessly in terms of body shape (not size), skin tone, and the life you lead, and dressing to fit all three.

Absolutely Jenny.. The style we fashion and the life we lead are intertwined… Now, if I could only get out of the yoga pants ;) ;)

Rosemarie

I welcome the increasing focus on influencers over 50. It means older women are no longer invisible. Of course, style and influence have nothing to do with age but, women over a certain age were expected to disappear quietly into the night…too old to be interesting. The new realization is very different, we are neither quiet or invisible. We have buying power, independence and social media suave and (yes) style. We embrace our age and are not afraid to let the world see it. This is new. This is what the media is finally recognizing. This is energizing. It’s about time.

Yes, it is
I have always thought the older we women are the more interesting we become :)

1010ParkPlace

Yes, brands are using women over 50 more in their ads, but if journalists are just now catching on that “some of us” know how to put an outfit together, then we have a long way to go. For the most part journalists and brand marketing VPs are Millennials. They can’t ignore famous women like Diane Keaton and for all we know, they know nothing of her fashion history and believe a stylist dresses her. From my experience, working with NYC ad agencies and brands, Millennials are not interested in women over 50. As the Sr. VP of Mktg for Lululemon told me, women over 50 are irrelevant. While there are many over 50 women with style on IG, there’s one who dresses like she’s 20-something. She has no style… she’s just flashy, and she’s not opening the doors for women over 50 by wearing stilettos and revealing clothes on the beach.

Moira Leech

Vicki, well written and it is about us or me. Style whatever the choice is a personal decision and depends on dynamics of situation, supplier and financial. So much pressure to achieve all those factors. I love simple, classic and basics that I can accessorize with a pop of colour. Feel fabulous in winter gear as it’s the layering I love but living in Queensland can be tricky. Thank you for your post found it inspiring and so true.

anitapelayorivera

I’m late to the party once again but OH, is this a topic I love to discuss, and you all here at VA have beautifully expressed an ageless, classic reality: a truly beautiful woman shines from the inside. Our western culture, especially certain pockets of it, has held women in captivity. Under the values of the market, the media and a particular perspective, women of all ages have been forced to be someone they simply are not and mostly on the exterior. How powerful it is to realize that who we are, no matter what age is the true beauty and yes, influence. Bravo, Vicki…I’m with you!

Linda B

I am also late to the party, but just have to say BRAVO, Vicki–you put into words so much of what I have been thinking in a less focused way. Thank you!

I would add one thing–I think my own sense of style has improved over the years, to fit myself in a truer way. Or perhaps I always had a style, though it has evolved so much since I was a young woman! But now, I feel much more secure in where I have landed. That is the good thing about aging and experience.

Anne K

Word! I think this is also about feminism, about being seen as the women we are with personality and style, regardless of age. Age is so often used against women, so your “better not younger” has become my mantra.

Lorraine Jenks

Here’s my lovely, unplanned story to tell.
Only wear black. Very short white hair. 76 years old. Specialist in environmental issues, climate change, sustainable practices, green procurement and ethical food. 27,000 opted-in followers. 15 awards in my 70s!
Get to travel internationally to speak on my topics.
Isn’t that amazing? None of it planned Found my niche in my late 60s and things simply fell into place.
Three husbands! Would marry each one again (for eight years each)! Wonderful stories to tell.
Thank you for what you do for us, Vicki. I love your style, your positive attitude, your encouragement to us and the way you remind us that we are valued.

Bravo Lorraine… I love a woman who has found her self, her voice and lives her life around that :)

Glynis

Such a fabulous article – I love it. I will be 60 next week – and I believe my beauty is my authenticity – I’ve not changed over the years – I am still the same person – I’m a grandmother – a martial artist, yogi and mother…My style has always been mine. I do not try and emulate. I have always been – (well not a grandmother) this is the highlight of my life – I dress the same, I’ve just evolved – My inherent nature and awareness of self and life – is still as it was as a young mom… and my daughter – bless her in her beautiful wisdom is the same and I am as my mother is – we are four generations of amazingly authentic women – I cannot wait to turn 60 !

Debbie

Excellent Vicki. I think it’s so annoying when people and I mean young people and men feel the need to comment if a women of a certain age happens to have style or is attractive. It’s like they expect us not to look good or be attractive. I am 60 and love fashion which doesn’t mean I blindly follow fashion. I try to dress smartly and wear clothes that suit me. I have seen women give up on how they look and have the attitude because they are over 50, why should they bother.
I love the fact that there are more older women who have blogs where they show various outfits that look fantastic, show great hairstyles etc. It gives me inspiration. I just don’t like it when some seem surprised that women over 50 can look good……….and looking good isn’t always about being 20.
Debbie

Lyn

I know this post was a bit ago – catching up on my reading. Just a comment – at 68 I still feel relevant. I have a great basic wardrobe – I know what looks good on me, and I put a lot of thought about a clothing item before I buy. I think I look pretty darn good. My husband paid me great complement the other day when he said “don’t you notice that people look at you when you walk into a restaurant or store?” No, I don’t, but what a nice thing to say!