16 Apr 2019

Black On White Or White On Black

Either way, black and white is one of my standbys.

When I thought about the pieces working overtime in my wardrobe, the blouse came first to mind. Followed closely by my white jeans and sneakers. When I don’t know what to wear or I don’t like me and how I’m looking, I look to jeans and a blouse to do the work.

Black and white, whichever way it is worn, puts me in my comfort zone and takes me out of my all too familiar all black options. My best blouses are those in black and white and with some detail and fullness.

Why?

They cover up what’s lurking beneath and even though we shouldn’t have anything to hide, I do. If you don’t, tucking in the front looks super cute.

A little fullness helps with a white jean, which is less forgiving than a darker pant. White jeans will never be my most flattering option but I like them all the same and if the attention is drawn to the blouse all the better.

The femininity of this style of blouse contrasts well with the masculine feel of the jeans and the sneakers. A boyfriend style blazer can be thrown over the top and a pair of kitten heels to go, instead of the sneakers.

They work with the casual and the dressy. Tailored pants, if jeans aren’t your thing, are easy as are a cropped pant.

I like this style of blouse with my blue jeans as well, especially the lighter blue. When Nordstrom invited me to curate an outfit from their women’s collection I went straight to this blouse. Isabel Marant has been on my radar for many years and I love her Parisian sense of quirky. Apart from these, Nordstrom has the best collection across multiple price-points than many other stores.

Do you have a fall back outfit?

I’m tempted by the white version of this blouse or something very similar. I can imagine the white with my cropped black pants and the same sneakers. Or even a black pair of trainers, ballet flats or espadrilles.

It’s a peculiar thing what makes us feel comfortable and full of confidence; it’s never our most glamorous, exciting or standout pieces.

I don’t know about you but when I find something that works I take it seriously. The white one just went in my shopping basket ;) xv

Black On White/ White On Black

black on white

isabel marant broderie anglaise eyelet top  ||  j crew long sleeve eyelet top  ||  jodi high waist jeans  ||  common projects achilles sneaker

white on black

ulla johnson eyelet top  ||  loveshack eyelet top  ||  isabel marant eyelet top  ||  eileen fisher tapered ankle pants

Thank you Nordstrom for patrnering with, “Black On White Or White On Black”.

this feature contains affiliate links

Beth M.

This is such a cute and carefree outfit, and I’m loving the hair with it! You look relaxed and comfortable in your skin; so ideal!

Thanks, Beth… the hair is as is.. it was a working day so nothing too fancy.. and yes it is an easy one to wear.. :)

They suit you … I do love a caftan in the summer… another “can’t have too many” item :)

Linda B

I so love black and white too! I may have to try those jeans. . . looking for some new summer whites!

Love white jeans and funnily enough, I have worn them all winter long with sweaters … They keep on keeping on :)

Jane Jess

You look smashing! I love everything from your hair to your glasses and of course outfit. You have such panache! I love your hair, you’ve inspired me to grow my “arctic blond” locks out. I used to think grey should be kept to the shoulders but you’ve proven me wrong! Enjoying seeing photos of you, I love your style.

Thank you so much, Jane… We all must inspire each other.. it makes it so much easier … and so much more fun :)

Sunflower

I’m thinking of trying the white jeans as never bothered before but you look so good in them!
Today I bought the yesterday’s edit – the Bobby Brown art stick in bare. I popped in the Bobby Brown shop whilst in Aix-en-Provence!! I love it Vicki, great colour choice and it comes with a pencil sharpener!! Great find again Inspector!!

Inspector!! Ha Ha I love it… I never thought I would wear white jeans as much as I do.. but I do :)

Missi

Black and white is one of my favorite combos and it is what I’m mostly packing for my vacation. I’m headed to your neck of the woods this July!

Lynne

Vicki, would you be willing to share what those wonderful glasses are? They look great on you!

Hello Lynne,
They are from an optician shop in Venice – some of the best frames ever! It’s called L’Altra Ottica. This style is called Kri :)

Anne

My black and white has been on reply here on the Amalfi Coast during these cool days…so easy to grab and go!
I so enjoy the photos of you rather than stock photos!

Lana

Apologies for the late reply on your article dated the 16th. I am so with you Vicki, on the black and white – as a “go to” outfit. I just love the simplicity and ease of being able to throw any style of these two colours together. You look great, by the way!