28 Apr 2019

Weekend Wardrobe: Flats Out Fabulous

weekend-wardrobe-ballet-flats-vicki-archer

First, second, third, fourth and fifth.

Ballet may not be my strong point but that hasn’t stopped me from loving a ballet slipper all of my days.

Ballet flats were big until they weren’t.

They were side-lined by pointier toes or square fronts and overwhelmed by sneakers. When comfort became the prize, the sneakers won. There was a day when I wore nothing but ballet flats; ballet flats were my shoes.

So what happened?

Ballet flats were there in the background biding their time. Some women aren’t nearly as fickle as me, like my daughter, she wears the ballets as much as the sneakers. But they did drop in the popularity stakes for a moment and only because there are so many great flat alternatives now.

And now?

Mine are out of retirement and ready to pace the pavements once more. xv

Flat Out Favourites

madewell reid  ||  kate spade kora  ||  vaneli felcia  ||  vaneli embellished  ||  sam edelman classic

chloé scalloped  ||  christian louboutin spike

this feature contains affiliate links

images, nathaniel goldberg for vogue china, patrick demarchelier for vogue russia, co collections

In This Post: ,

anitapelayorivera

I have lived in dance shoes for most of my life, and flats are a must! Good morning Vicki and enjoy the day!

Beth

The only thing about ballet flats is that they are SO flat. I tend to walk 25K or more steps while city sightseeing, and that just will not cut it.

Mumbai

love it and composed to sneakers (which I also wear) they are more elegant and make
a slim food. Have my Cloe now the 4th year and wear it with dresses and trousers….always perfect looking. However the gait(is that the correct word?) is different compared with high heels.

Terry

I live in California and wear sandals nearly year round, but for closed-toe shoes, ballet flats are my favorite. I add to my Tieks collection yearly.

Sunflower

Yes I love a ballet pump and have worn mine this week!!
Navy of course!
But I’m not a lover of a sneaker although have seen a really lovely suede espadrille from Boden which has a tie detail across the foot, really great colours too. I’m thinking these might be my sneaker alternative!! But until a decision is made it’s definitely a ballet pump!

DD

I do not think the ballet flats ever really disappeared…comfortable, flattering, practical…from Chanel to Zara, I adore them!

1010ParkPlace

For most of my adult life I lived in ballet flats… that is until the cowboy boots from Hell rubbed a blood clot on the arch of my right foot. Surgery to remove it damaged the nerves on the ball of my foot. Ballet flats… and most flats… are no longer comfortable on that part of my foot. I grief not being to wear ballet flats any longer. You’ve given us some great choices here that peak my interest though. xoxox, B