When in doubt how do we make the right choice?
That nagging thought of what to wear when we have no idea what to wear. It’s hardly a pressing problem in the grand scheme of things but truthfully; I have wasted a great deal of time thinking about it.
What to wear? Will it be appropriate? Do I look okay? Didn’t I wear that yesterday?
All these niggle some questions that cross most women’s minds at some stage. This is a different feeling to when nothing in the wardrobe works, when we dislike everything and try on a zillion options only to end up with them strewn across the bed and all over the floor.
No, this “not knowing what to wear” is when our imaginations desert us and leave us stranded with no inspiration.
When in doubt, this is how I choose. xv
What To Wear When Know What To Wear
- *Allow thinking time. I make all my outfit decisions in the shower or in the bath.
- *Know your mood. Feeling less than chirpy means it is not the best idea to choose the sequin number. On top of the world? Go for it.
- *The weather makes the decisions a whole lot easier. There is no point squeezing into a skimpy shirt and open toe shoes if it is freezing outside. Weather dependency means at least half of the closet is out of bounds.
- *Browse the closet before pulling everything out on a whim of indecision.
- * Select three outfits (two if you are really disciplined) you already know look good and have been worn before. Ignore the cries of boredom and the fear of being seen in the same outfit. It is better to look and feel fabulous in a tried and true winner. Try them and wear the one most appropriate for the occasion.
- *Don’t over think. Time is ticking away.
- *Notice any gaps in your wardrobe essentials. How annoying is it when the favourite tee shirt is in the laundry or the best boots are being heeled at the cobbler? Or the tights are too thick or not thick enough. Make a note of those items that need replacing or re-organising.
* Smile and add red lipstick. That makes everything look wonderful.
What To Wear When I Don’t Know What To Wear?
My latest crush and go-to when I can’t work out what to wear is a Bella Freud sweater. They have the right amount of classic with a touch of design whimsy. Slim fitting and easy to wear alone, with a blazer or with a heavy jacket; this wool sweater has saved my day over and over. I’m normally not one for logos or patterns in this way but these sweaters are that little bit different to be really fabulous.
images vintage photograph archive